Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chill mode performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As I had a spare 5 minutes on my *cough* test track, I gave a Model 3 LR (2020 model with acceleration boost option) a go in chill and sport.
Times are without rollout. SoC was 66-67%, ambient temp. 20C, No dots on power meter.
Measured with a Racelogic VBox

Chill Mode 0-60mph 8.08 sec
Sport Mode 0-60mph 4.12 sec
Chill Mode 50-70mph 3.96 sec
Sport Mode 50-70mph 1.83 sec

LR Chill_Sport acceleration at 67percent.png

2019 LR w/ Boost:
Considering my main use of the car is motorway miles (200mile+ trips) - i usually keep the car in chill as make very little difference when stuck at "motorway speeds". That said, Sport mode does come out to play when passengers are on board, but that's honestly more novelty than anything else at this point.

Happy the capability is there to go 'fast', but for most of my usage, getting from A>B at "3.6-3.8s 0-60" is more a 'bonus' than a neccessity. When driving around, when i see someone in a fast car 'driving fast' (carriage-ways or motorways) i'm usually viewing them as either "that person is driving that way to get to the emergency room asap" or "bit of a K%!B" as they are just introducing an unknown element (at speed) on the road that everyone else has to avoid.

I'm likely in the minority, given the comments on this threat though with my lack of an innter-hoonigan
- let me get my walking-frame and shout at the birds outside 😁

But hey, if you enjoy it - that's what counts!

Happy the capability is there to go 'fast', but for most of my usage, getting from A>B at "3.6-3.8s 0-60" is more a 'bonus' than a neccessity. When driving around, when i see someone in a fast car 'driving fast' (carriage-ways or motorways) i'm usually viewing them as either "that person is driving that way to get to the emergency room asap" or "bit of a K%!B" as they are just introducing an unknown element (at speed) on the road that everyone else has to avoid.

That's true when people are just haring along a dual carriageway at stupid speeds but there are quite frequent occasions on single carriageway roads where you can overtake safely by using maximum acceleration for a short burst. You can always simply wait behind that tractor of course but if you are fully confident that you can pass and pull back in well before the approaching corner it's a worthwhile bonus! It's also nice to be able to do this without deafening people with a loud exhaust in what then appears to be a more aggressive manoeuvre.

As I had a spare 5 minutes on my *cough* test track, I gave a Model 3 LR (2020 model with acceleration boost option) a go in chill and sport.
Times are without rollout. SoC was 66-67%, ambient temp. 20C, No dots on power meter.
Measured with a Racelogic VBox

Chill Mode 0-60mph 8.08 sec
Sport Mode 0-60mph 4.12 sec
Chill Mode 50-70mph 3.96 sec
Sport Mode 50-70mph 1.83 sec

View attachment 670871
This is exactly the answer I was looking for so thanks very much for doing that!

Reactions: Tevo Solutions
That's true when people are just haring along a dual carriageway at stupid speeds but there are quite frequent occasions on single carriageway roads where you can overtake safely by using maximum acceleration for a short burst. You can always simply wait behind that tractor of course but if you are fully confident that you can pass and pull back in well before the approaching corner it's a worthwhile bonus! It's also nice to be able to do this without deafening people with a loud exhaust in what then appears to be a more aggressive manoeuvre.
Sound at least gives a bit of warning, I sometimes think the Tesla zooming past is a genuine surprise to those drivers that hadn’t been checking their mirrors!

No, actually battery temp plays the biggest part :) A 90% battery that's frozen will perform like a snail. Best performance is around 30-35C I think
There's no "biggest part". It depends on which battery pack, what SoC it's at and at what temperature. They are all variables in determining performance.
A 2021M3P with its battery pack at 10% SoC and 30°C will be more like a snail than the 2019 M3P at 90% SoC and 0°C.

It gets more confusing when we factor in the newer Model 3s which appear to be suffering from poor performance at lower temperatures and SoCs, but which could be software limited while more BMS data is gathered.

Lots of factors are involved, which is why all the discussions and videos we see about drag racing Teslas are a bit pointless unless all the data is available, which it usually isn't (I'm looking at you Carwow) 😁

Last edited:
I don't think I've tried chill mode in my model 3, but I used to drive my Honda CRZ in 'eco' because it gave better use of the hybrid system (with no difference at WOT). When I occasionally switched back to 'sport' I tended to wheelspin one or two starts if I forgot the settings had changed.
I think I adapt my foot pressure based on the vehicle with no need to think - I rarely stall the 1.0 Hyundai i10 when I drive it, and only occasionally forget to brake or change gear...

I shouldn't really comment as I did succumb to the dark side and purchased the acceleration boost courtesy of the evil tesla app and it's den of iniquity known as the UPGRADES option.

Sigh !!! taking a mental note to work on a) my total lack of willpower and b) my apparent Macho tendencies - time to download a mindfulness app me thinks

• Funny
Reactions: Jez_GB