Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chill mode performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
.....there is very little, if any, difference in overall energy usage when cruising comparing standard and chill. The main impact seems to be the restriction in acceleration and the saving that gives.

If the level of acceleration and speeds are the same through modulating the pedal in Standard Mode there's absolutely no reason that I can think of that would magically enable Chill Mode to be more efficient! Obviously if the car is driven to the limits of its performance in both modes then Chill Mode will use less energy.

Reactions: jpm777
Not sure if it’s mid life crisis or what, but I really struggled not to hoon the LR around like some kind of boy racing tw@t. I thought using chill mode might force me to behave, particularly as it has no kick down function.... I tried it precisely once! It was like going back to the mid 80’s and my Orion 1.6i Ghia (brilliant car). Chill mode is, I have decided, not for me - I was reminded how mind blowing the performance is, and having waited 6 months for the M3P, I shall continue to hoon it around like the boy racing tw@t that I am, in the knowledge that I actually have the driving experience my dad said I would need to ”drive like that”. Of course where it is not safe to drive in that manner I shall modulate the +ve peddle :cool:

If chill mode was necessary for economy how much better than 196kW average on todays 22m journey would that be compared to 'sport' setting? (I would expect 'none'). The vast majority of our driving is smooth & gentle & the accelerator responds accordingly (acceleration boost LR).

Reactions: Jez_GB
I gave "Chill Mode" a try.
It converts the car into a car suitable for young drivers and the elderly, it seems.
As has been stated, it is easy to modulate the throttle to mimic chill mode and yo move the car with a degree of finesse that was impossible in the C63.
I'll stick to the standard mode.
More macho nonsense. Please stop with the childish comments about people driving 'slowly'. This is exactly the mentality that makes people drive like nutters and kill people.

I gave "Chill Mode" a try.
It converts the car into a car suitable for young drivers and the elderly, it seems.
As has been stated, it is easy to modulate the throttle to mimic chill mode and yo move the car with a degree of finesse that was impossible in the C63.
I'll stick to the standard mode.
My wife drives my car in chill mode, she seems incapable of modulating the throttle in standard mode which leads to very jerky driving (& me feeling pretty Ill when she fancies driving)

Ah, that might be it. I do feel the first few percent of pedal travel to be really gentle. The thing is, I don't remember how it was before I bought the boost, and I cannot go back now. I only have "sport" and "chill" modes, there's no "normal" .
Same. I’d like to be able to compare with old normal. More to calibrate my ‘Dyno of the mind’ than anything.

Reactions: GtiMart
The only time I have tried chill mode (in a Model S loaner) the power was obviously down a lot but I found the pick up wasn’t as linear as normal so just wondered exactly how they limited power. Which is why I asked the question.

I find instinctively that I try and get past anything as fast as possible when overtaking, which is obviously more sensible that sitting in the opposite lane, although the LR is so rapid I am having to reassess this muscle memory!

The only time I have tried chill mode (in a Model S loaner) the power was obviously down a lot but I found the pick up wasn’t as linear as normal so just wondered exactly how they limited power. Which is why I asked the question.

I find instinctively that I try and get past anything as fast as possible when overtaking, which is obviously more sensible that sitting in the opposite lane, although the LR is so rapid I am having to reassess this muscle memory!
Must be my age then, I find chill mode just like Rolls Royce described their engine power “adequate”
I definitely do like to squirt it on occasions and appreciate the get you out of trouble factor, but modern traffic volumes and standard of a lot of our roads mean that I don’t feel it’s sensible (or safe) most of the time to try to emulate a race car on public roads. I no longer aim to get from A to B in the shortest possible time.
Better late than never?

Not sure if it’s mid life crisis or what, but I really struggled not to hoon the LR around like some kind of boy racing tw@t. I thought using chill mode might force me to behave, particularly as it has no kick down function.... I tried it precisely once! It was like going back to the mid 80’s and my Orion 1.6i Ghia (brilliant car). Chill mode is, I have decided, not for me - I was reminded how mind blowing the performance is, and having waited 6 months for the M3P, I shall continue to hoon it around like the boy racing tw@t that I am, in the knowledge that I actually have the driving experience my dad said I would need to ”drive like that”. Of course where it is not safe to drive in that manner I shall modulate the +ve peddle :cool:
I’m firmly in this camp.

I find the M3P performance addictive. Whenever safe, I can’t resist nailing the go faster pedal to the floor. Chill mode is for sensible people and it seems I’m just not one of those at the moment.

I’m plenty old enough to know better. Sorry.

Reactions: Jez_GB
I totally get what the OP is saying about the value of a quick toggle on and off of Standard Acceleration. (I’d say the same about a quick toggle between percent and miles, but that’s another story.

My wife far prefers chill mode. She says she feels more confident driving the car in tight spaces and says it makes her own driving less jerky.

I use standard mode now all the time, ever since I was demonstrating an acceleration test only to find the car in chill mode. My friends were like, ‘dude is that it?’

Also I agree with others that you do get the full modulation of acceleration in Chill mode so the jerkiness shouldn’t really be there but I like the choice. Frankly I’d prefer three settings if I was going to be picky

Last edited:
One of the best features of the Tesla is the absolite controllability of the throttle: it is easy to modulate and creep the car along at 3 mph as it is to apply full throttle and shoot forward. The C63 was, in comparison, quite difficult to modulate the power delivery in the same way.

I'd like to drive a car with the extra performance back to back with mine, to see if the £1500 is a subjective or objective improvement!

Reactions: jpm777