Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chill Mode vs Standard Mode Driving

ZOMGVTEK

May 19, 2015
'Merica
It literally makes no difference in efficiency unless you drive differently. Slower acceleration is a bit more efficient, but its really not a big deal generally. If the battery is warm, accelerating at halfish throttle is a very minor impact over accelerating super slow. Full throttle, and a bit near full, is definitely less efficient. But it only makes a difference for the few seconds you're accelerating. If you're constantly accelerating full throttle and then stopping, its going to be very noticeable. However, if you accelerate only occasionally and are mostly just cruising, it makes very little difference to the total trip.

jjrandorin

Moderator, Model 3, Tesla Energy Forums
Nov 28, 2018
Riverside Co. CA
The thing about "remapping your right foot" is a real thing, lol. I hardly ever drive my wifes X3 M40 anymore as I prefer my model 3... but when I do, I end up driving it like the proverbial "grandpa driving to church on sunday" because my foot is used to the "throttle" mapping in my model 3p. Its not like my wifes car is slow... its supposed to be 0=60 in like 4.6 seconds which USED to sound fast to me, lol.

Anyway, because I drive my model 3P like a civilized person instead of a hoonigan (most of the time, anyway lol... i DID spring for the P version for a reason, though :cool:) whenever I drive any other vehicle, I always end up driving it slow, because "car acceleration" has been re mapped in my head to my car, so I press lighter, so every car other than my model 3p accelerates slower for me.

Mash

Supporting Member
Nov 10, 2019
Prague
If Chill Mode was only pedal remapping, it would be useful. Unfortunately it also limits maximum power, so if for some reason you need that power right now - you won't get it.

Reactions: WarpedOne

mrau

Authorized Driver
Supporting Member
Nov 12, 2018
Mid-Michigan
If Chill Mode was only pedal remapping, it would be useful. Unfortunately it also limits maximum power, so if for some reason you need that power right now - you won't get it.

I agree, if you have to suddenly “mash” the pedal, you don’t want to be in Chill mode.

( Sorry @Mash , I just couldn’t resist ). :)

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC