TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Chill mode!

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by dstroot, Apr 16, 2018.

1. dstroot

dstroot Member

Just picked up my car from service and it has version 14.1 software - enjoying my new chill mode!

• Informative x 2
    • Helpful x 1
  2. run-the-joules

run-the-joules Active Member

Well, 12.1 gave me an option I've been whining about not having, so I guess it's only fair that 14.1 brings one I will never, ever have any reason to use.

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 2
    • Helpful x 1
    • Love x 1
  3. SoCalGuy

SoCalGuy Active Member

Dumb question but what's chill mode?

4. Zaphod

Zaphod Galaxy President (former)

Limits the acceleration rate, hence "chill" mode.

• Informative x 1
  5. run-the-joules

Basically a Prius simulator mode. Makes the car slow and sad.

• Funny x 24
    • Like x 3
  6. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

Why would anyone want to use chill mode? Serious question, If Tesla added it I’m sure there is a reason for it, but I don’t know what that would be.

7. goto10

goto10 Member

Maybe useful if you are letting your kids drive and it would be good if it could be auto-enabed when in valet mode. I guess it would also be useful for people that are obsessed with maximum efficiency.

8. run-the-joules

I think it's for people who aren't very smooth on the throttle and have family members who get easily carsick or something.

• Like x 1
  9. GBB0131

GBB0131 Member

I think Chill mode will be nice for those of use that aren't coming from an EV to kind of get "used" to the way EV's accelerate...

10. CameronB

CameronB Member

I think Chill mode is a clever double-meaning word. Yes, it can be for more gentle acceleration as some have said for people used to Camry acceleration and not the instant gobs of torque available in Teslas.

But secondarily (or maybe even primarily, deepening on where you live), Chill mode is also useful for driving in snow and ice where it may not be safe to have too much torque applied suddenly (especially unintentionally) on slippery surfaces. If you've ever driven in snow, you've undoubtedly heard of the need to accelerate (and brake) more slowly than otherwise you might.

Of course, Tesla being Tesla, doesn't name their modes "Snow" or "Ice" like some other manufacturers do, but instead called it the more clever "Chill".

Chill + regen set to "low" essentially equates to a snow/ice mode from what I have understood from my mountain snow driving Tesla friends.

• Informative x 11
    • Helpful x 2
    • Like x 2
  11. SoCalGuy

SoCalGuy Active Member

How much does Chill mode slow acceleration in M3?

12. CameronB

CameronB Member

Don't have a Model 3, so not sure, but the Drag Times guy did a timing test for a 100D Model S and it was almost twice as slow in chill mode. If those percentages were maintained than the normal ~5 sec 0-60 of the current LR Model 3 might be as slow as in the 9-10 second range in chill mode. But maybe someone who has a Model 3 and access to either timing equipment or at least PowerTools will weigh in with an accurate answer.

13. SoCalMom

SoCalMom Member

I read somewhere that Chill mode + AP results in a smoother ride. Sometimes the acceleration is a bit jarring when I'm using AP.

• Informative x 5
    • Helpful x 4
    • Like x 1
  14. TheLocNar

TheLocNar Member

My guess its intention is for inclement weather as an assist to traction control etc. My Infiniti has a "snow" mode that tones down throttle response.

But I could see this also being used for valet and kids if they borrow the car. There's no passcode lock on Chill Mode is there?

15. Dogwhistle

Dogwhistle Member

High torque EV motors can be a bit touchy, my wife complains that small corrections can put her and the kids into “bobblehead” mode pretty easily, which can cause carsickness to some. Chill smooths it out a bit, making it less touchy, but you can still get on it if you need to! I’m happy to see this is now included, but I’ll never use it when I’m solo!

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  16. privater

privater 2016 Model S and 2017 Model 3 owner

'Grocery trip and Kids pickup' Mode

17. ImEric

ImEric Member

Or "So much traffic I can't enjoy the car so I might as well extend the range of my battery" mode.

• Like x 5
  18. novox77

novox77 1.21 Gigawatts

I've spoiled my kids. These days they always ask for "fast, fast, daddy!"

• Funny x 4
    • Like x 2
  19. LectrikPower

LectrikPower Member

In my leaf "eco" mode softens the throttle response. It makes driving smoother much easier and gives better range. I like it.

I read somewhere that the micro up and down changes to power when the pedal is sensitive affects range.

• Like x 1
  20. TaoJones

TaoJones Beyond Driven

I do like chill mode - it takes the rough edges off, and over a day of driving, that can reduce fatigue.

That said, I've found it to be one of those 90% solutions. All is well until you step upon the accelerator (pedal) and there's no there there. Well, there's a there there, but it's an ICE there as there is a noticeable delay before anything useful happens.

So I don't use it for drives during which I know that occasionally more assertive efforts will be necessary. Other than that, it's good stuff, and I'd like to think there's some incremental range increase along with the fatigue decrease over a longer driving session.

• Informative x 1