Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chill mode!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree. It seems to me that regardless of your car's normal settings when driving, when full TACC is being used, it should have a smoother curve (i.e. chill mode), and regen braking should be at max. There's no reason the car can't smooth things out when it's controlling speed.

Agreed. It accelerates too hard in TACC when someone moves out of the way and it's a bit unsettling. I try and use Chill mode when using Autopilot but I don't always remember. The car should default to chill when using TACC and/or AP.

that does not work in stop and go traffic in a major metropolitan area. setting it to 5 or 6 is an open invitation for 7 or 8 people to pull into that space.
That’s exactly my scenario.
Who cares if people pull in front?
They have as much right to the road as I do and it affects my journey time by no more than a few seconds.
Personally I’m not stressed by someone desperately wanting to get in front of me. My manhood is not dependent on defeating other road users :D

no, but the paint job on my brand new car is.
So you’re saying that using your car as an expensive blocker to stop people cutting in front of you is more likely to protect your cars paint?
But leaving larger gaps and giving yourself more reaction time is a bad thing?
Interesting
Each to their own, but I’ll skip the stress thanks. I haven’t ever owned a BMW though so that might explain it :D

You will.

Because once someone cuts in front, the long follow distance will slow you down till you're back at the same big gap... then the next guy cuts in and you go back even further.

Long follow gaps that constantly pushed your car back is exactly why TACC on most other cars sucks.

On a Lexus for example the closest follow distance it allows still had me perpetually being cut off and slowed down, let alone the longer distances.

Teslas TACC is the first one I've ever used (across multiple brands of car) that can be set to follow close enough to not constantly be cut off/slowed down by other drivers.

Its ability to do that, as well as slow all the way to 0 and resume while on the highway, is literally the single largest improvement in my driving experience the Model 3 will deliver compared to just keeping my current, paid for, Lexus.

So you’re saying that using your car as an expensive blocker to stop people cutting in front of you is more likely to protect your cars paint?
But leaving larger gaps and giving yourself more reaction time is a bad thing?
Interesting
Each to their own, but I’ll skip the stress thanks. I haven’t ever owned a BMW though so that might explain it :D
It sounds like you're making personal assessments based on the situational driving required somewhere you don't happen to live. That's a rabbit hole one should always avoid when possible.

Reactions: Twiglett
They have as much right to the road as I do and it affects my journey time by no more than a few seconds.
Personally I’m not stressed by someone desperately wanting to get in front of me. My manhood is not dependent on defeating other road users :D
I find it semi dangerous. It pulls up hard a longer distance than normal from the person in front. I've had a couple of near misses (and helpful hand directives) with the guy behind me thinking I that I will use more glide time to stop. Not a fan of extending the distance because of this.

Reactions: ModelNforNerd
I find it semi dangerous. It pulls up hard a longer distance than normal from the person in front. I've had a couple of near misses with the guy behind me thinking I that I will use more glide time to stop. Not a fan of extending the distance because of this.

when we're moving along at regular speed, I have it at 3 or 4, but if we're in stop and go, bumper to bumper traffic, I move it down to 1.