Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chill Mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any performance numbers for Chill Mode (e.g. 0-60, torque, etc.)? Concerned car may be 'too much car' for intended driver, but would like standard mode for myself when I drive it.

Intended driver coming from a base 2018 Outback.

Last edited:
I have a 2019 Subaru Outback 3.6R, and chill mode is way too chill. I also come from a track ready 2014 Audi S5. Trust me, chill mode is when you have grandma in the car, or something like that, but it’s pretty tough to use it all the time.

the model y is definitely not too much car for anyone. They’ll drive just fine.

Reactions: Punjabi510
Chill mode is absolutely fine. I kept both performance Model 3 and LR Model X in Chill 95% of the time. Still faster than most cars.

I got 230 wh/mi lifetime on 3 and 270 wh/mi on X. No I don’t drive it like grandma. Just drive it like a normal spunky car. It’s about 0-60 in 7-8 secs in Chill. My Jeep was 10 secs and was more than fast enough.

Reactions: xdmanalo
Thanks all for the input. Going from a 0-60 mid-9 sec car to 7-8 sec Chill Mode makes me a bit more at ease. The delta going to a sub 5 sec car worries me.

Just window shopping for now. Ideal configuration for our wants/needs would be a RW, LR, 7-seat build. Yes, I know....hurry up and wait.

Follow up question...does Chill Mode setting follow the driver's profile?

...says the person who hasn't met my wife, heh. During her first (and only) drive in our M3, she almost crashed into the Outback parking up the driveway. She wasn't familiar with the immediate torque and it was too 'punchy' for her.
I warned mine and mentioned to feather the throttle initially. Reverse is still tricky but she got the hang of it after 30 seconds of driving around the neighborhood.

We used chill mode all the time for my daughter when she was learning (and still when she drives the car). It feels about the same as the used Nissan Leaf we purchased for her now that she has a license.

Yes, it goes with the drivers profile.

Sure, it's slower, but it is fast enough. But if you are used to regular mode and certain risks (like judging gaps between cars) when pulling out into traffic... chill mode can be a surprise.

The 3/Y accelerator pedal is easy to modulate, much more so than the S. I don't think you'll have a problem adjusting to the acceleration after a week or two. I own a last gen Outback 2.5 and a 3 LR RWD. The 3 is much easier to drive, because the accelerator pedal and steering are much more precise/responsive and don't require as many minute corrections. I didn't realize how much effort I spent maintaining speed and direction on the Outback until I drove the 3 and went back to the Outback.

Reactions: Matsayz
Like David said above, the accelerator is very easy to feather to the speed you desire and especially with the regen. Schedule a test drive, doesn’t have to be a Model Y, they’ll put you in a Model 3 to try no problem. Also, they’ll probably let you take it out on your own because of COVID. Watch some YouTube videos then have at it... slowly