Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chill vs Sport in a 3P+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Precisely.

People are simply asking for a middle ground setting.
Thank you for the support. You are exactly correct. In the steering mode, there is already a Chill, STANDARD, and Sport. We're only asking for the same 3 options for the throttle response. And as for safety. Gearcruncher, you make no sense regarding safety or ease of implementation. We have a Track Mode in the M3P where we can completely turn off Traction and Stability or adjust it incrementally between 0 and 10. In fact we can also incrementally adjust the regen in Track Mode. So clearly, adding an incremental multiplier is easy.
I mean, why would someone spend the extra coin on the Performance Model unless this type of adjustability was important to them? Also, it kills me every time an owner asks for an option that would improve the driving experience, there is group of users who try to shoot it down as unnecessary. Using that logic, the whole Performance/Plaid line is unnecessary. Since when are more options, whether you use them or not, a bad thing?

Totally agree that the Sport pedal map on the M3P sucks and would love to find a way to make the first third a little more like the MS Standard mode, then ramp to full power from there. That sensitivity in the first bit is really awkward and clumsy.

My car is in service right now, I'll ask the service guys when I pick it up if there's anything to be done.

I feel like I can’t be alone in this:

Anyone else wish that you could get full power when flooring it but with a little lazier acceleration curve at low pedal pressure? The throttle on many (all?) ICE cars these days looks a bit like a hockey stick if you graph it out with actual throttle angle on the vertical axis and actual pedal depression on the horizontal axis. That annoyed me with a Corvette or an E92 M3 (previous cars) because I very much prefer a fully linear throttle with a gas engine.

In the model 3 I feel like Sport mode is too hard to drive comfortably and Chill mode is too damn slow. Anyone else? I don’t do Twitter so I can’t tweet @Elon about it and hope for it to change some day…
I will do a 1/4 mile rolling dyno run in chill mode this weekend. That should show how much lower it is than sport mode.

The S3XY buttons have a new feature called “kick down”. It treats chill mode like sport mode and automatically enables max acceleration if you floor it. I will rolling dyno that mode too.

98DA2887-0146-4148-804B-D2F78A5CFF00.jpeg

On my recent track day I found myself pretty regularly doing laps in Chill Mode to save battery while forcing myself into better lines (losing too much speed in a corner is much more obvious with you only have 200hp on corner exit). I actually found myself really wanting a way to dial back power while in Track Mode so I could still have the g-meter and reduced stability control while maintaining the above advantages.

I don’t really have trouble any more with the sensitivity of the throttle. Honestly, my F250 was far jerkier at the slightest throttle crack, because that audience likes the perception that there is sooooo much torque that it can barely be controlled :p .

Reactions: Sellout and tm1v2
On my recent track day I found myself pretty regularly doing laps in Chill Mode to save battery while forcing myself into better lines (losing too much speed in a corner is much more obvious with you only have 200hp on corner exit). I actually found myself really wanting a way to dial back power while in Track Mode so I could still have the g-meter and reduced stability control while maintaining the above advantages.

I don’t really have trouble any more with the sensitivity of the throttle. Honestly, my F250 was far jerkier at the slightest throttle crack, because that audience likes the perception that there is sooooo much torque that it can barely be controlled :p .
@Lindenwood You know...I really like that idea of lapping in Chill mode to minimize the thermal and charging issues around tracking this car.

But could I actually swallow my pride and follow through on it once lined up in the pit lane? 🤔;) I respect your discipline!

@Lindenwood You know...I really like that idea of lapping in Chill mode to minimize the thermal and charging issues around tracking this car.

But could I actually swallow my pride and follow through on it once lined up in the pit lane? 🤔;) I respect your discipline!
(To be fair, I happened to still be significantly faster than the small group on the track that day, with both the most technical and Motorsports experience, and with far and away the most inherently capable AND prepared car. If I knew I was going to have to look Porsche and Vette drivers in the eye after each session, I am not quite sure I could have held back ;) ).

I will do a 1/4 mile rolling dyno run in chill mode this weekend. That should show how much lower it is than sport mode.

The S3XY buttons have a new feature called “kick down”. It treats chill mode like sport mode and automatically enables max acceleration if you floor it. I will rolling dyno that mode too.

View attachment 869703
Ran a 15.3 @ 93 mph in true “Chill” mode. However, with the S3XY buttons “kick down” switch it ran an 11.39. Guess what vehicle was next to me running in “Conserve” mode.

D4232047-95C7-4F45-93E5-35FE22936165.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2