TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

China: Additional $40,000 deposit (shipping, taxes and import duties). In Hong Kong?

Discussion in 'Hong Kong' started by Benz, Aug 14, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Benz

Benz Active Member

Following reply/quote is from Mark B. Spiegel (on Inside EV's):

"Once a Model S is destined for China (after it’s built but before it’s shipped) Tesla requires an additional $40,000 deposit to pay shipping, taxes and import duties."

My question: "Do customers in Hong Kong who order a Tesla Model S also have to pay an additional (second) deposit to pay shipping, taxes and import duties?"

2. markwj

markwj Moderator, Asia Pacific

No. HK is tax free on import, except for certain luxury items.

3. Benz

Benz Active Member

So, Hong Kong customers pay a deposit when making a reservation for a Tesla Model S, and when they receive their Tesla Model S they pay the remaining amount, and nothing inbetween, right?

4. DITB

DITB Charged.hk co-founder

Yes, correct.

I paid 39,000 HKD (~3,900 EUR) in December 2012, and haven't paid anything since to Tesla Motors. Next up is when I will finalise my financing, together with the paperwork, insurance and all the rest. As far as I understand, TM takes the final payment a few days before delivery. If I were to back out at the last moment, they probably couldn't get their money. On the other hand, with 5 months waiting time, if they made an auction they would probably make another few 100,000 HKD for someone who is eager to take delivery right away.

So I don't think they are so concerned in Hong Kong, maybe more so in China.