Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

China demands actual EVs from Germany instead of press releases

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That certainly sounds like somebody is talking seriously about changing over to electric cars :)

This article is light on the details of China's actual proposed system, and is actually about a German reaction. I wonder if we can track down something with some meat about the actual proposal.

Edit: I just noticed that the linked article was published in January of this year. It's new information to me, but not particularly new in general.

• Informative
Reactions: SBenson
Apparently the major issue is that China only wants to allow production of electric drives by companies which are controlled by Chinese owners. You may just as well hand over your technology free of charge. It's time to get much tougher with China on these issues.

That is not how I read it. Yeh we all know about China's tech grabs but that story talks about mandating percentages of EVs and having to buy credits from other manufacturers. BMW is crying about time to ramping its production. Well cry me a river don't give good goddamn. German car comps have no to blame but themselves. Made your bed sleep in it. Better yet issue a press release about the car you just designed which will destroy all other EV manufacturers, especially Tesla.

Just wait going to get much uglier. I see at least one German car company going belly up and that says a lot.

• Informative
Reactions: Krugerrand
Apparently the major issue is that China only wants to allow production of electric drives by companies which are controlled by Chinese owners. You may just as well hand over your technology free of charge. It's time to get much tougher with China on these issues.
If you want to get the same subsidies as other EVs, that is the case. However, if you forgo those, you can sell imported EVs perfectly fine, which is what Tesla is doing.

Reactions: dc_h

Exactly. Yes, China wants more PEVs, but it wants to make sure that they're Chinese PEVs. They have battery certification rules to keep foreign battery manufacturers out, high import tariffs and large incentives that only apply to domestic manufacturers.

But, other countries only have themselves to blame for China walking all over them. They got greedy and now they're trapped.

But, other countries only have themselves to blame for China walking all over them. They got greedy and now they're trapped.

Well, I may dig that out the next time some US tech company gets shafted in China. That may very well be Tesla or do people here really believe that Tesla will not get into Beijing's cross hairs if it is being considered to be too successful in the Chinese market?

Well, I may dig that out the next time some US tech company gets shafted in China. That may very well be Tesla or do people here really believe that Tesla will not get into Beijing's cross hairs if it is being considered to be too successful in the Chinese market?

Tesla's already affected by the protectionism. This is just another chapter in a very long story.