Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

China has a new car coming in 12 months

JohnSnowNW

Feb 13, 2015
Minnesota
ffDFDxT.jpg

wdolson

Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2015
Clark Co, WA
I'm not too surprised, there seem to be a lot of snake oil salespeople getting a lot of press out of China these days. Maybe it is because of the contraction in their economy? Or maybe these things are just getting more coverage?

EVger

Aug 17, 2013
Florida
I'm not too surprised, there seem to be a lot of snake oil salespeople getting a lot of press out of China these days. Maybe it is because of the contraction in their economy? Or maybe these things are just getting more coverage?

See “BYD Targets 60,000 New Energy Vehicle Sales For 2015"
BYD Targets 60,000 New Energy Vehicle Sales For 2015

And BYD is only one of several Chinese companies selling EVs (not including Volvo).

wdolson

Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2015
Clark Co, WA

wdolson

Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2015
Clark Co, WA
China Plug-In Electric Car Sales September 2015

Plug-ins in China are selling at a faster annual rate than those in the US.

China's population is 3X the US, and there are more middle class people in China with the income to be able to own a car than there are people in the US. Car ownership is a big status symbol in China whereas it's losing it's status here in the US. Western Millennials generally aren't that impressed with car ownership.

China is the hottest car market in the world, and it makes sense that EVs would sell more there than in the US which is a saturated car market. All things considered, I'm surprised they aren't burying the rest of the world in sales, EV sales are only marginally ahead of the US by about 10,000 a year.

RobStark

Jul 2, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
Millions of Chinese grew up using electric scooters mopeds.

Using electric fuel to get around is not strange.

It is not as big a paradigm shift as in the West.

I just talked to a 24 year old nephew here in Los Angeles. He is saving every penny for a Model 3, a confirmed Tesla fanatic.

And he worked at Jiffy Lube while in college LOL.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC