Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

China Market situation and outlook

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I do not know why I am the only one excited here. It has a tremendous outcome for Tesla in China. The government officials met with Elon Musk. Both are really important Government structures.
The Chinese prime Minister officially “declare war on pollution” and Ministers for responsible administrations met with Elon Musk which indicate that Tesla may be important tool in this war. May be we are used to hear so many things from our politicians and they used to talk more than they do. Chinese government has completely different approach for a long term planning. When they said war this means war!

Having lived in China for a brief time, I too know that this is a HUGE display for both of those ministers to meet with Elon. Serious Guanxi, and it means that the love affair we have with Elon is at least partially shared by some of the highest echelons of the Chinese state, which has an outsized control over their market and economy. Also, I have long thought that Tesla is a much more natural fit for China than all of the other traditional Western automakers and I think what we are seeing is a country and a CEO that both understand the stark reality of climate change talking about how to beat it.

I think the reason you aren't seeing more excitement here is because TSLA right now is falling victim to the rest of the US market dragging it down, and so good news like this goes a little unseen, if it is in fact even understood.

Personally, I love how Elon is working so hard on China, and how he is embracing the "rock star" persona that is demanded of him in the moment.

Laying groundwork like this in China is just so incredibly good for the long-term prospects of Tesla Motors to succeed globally for decades to come.

I do not know why I am the only one excited here. It has a tremendous outcome for Tesla in China. The government officials met with Elon Musk. Both are really important Government structures.
The Chinese prime Minister officially “declare war on pollution” and Ministers for responsible administrations met with Elon Musk which indicate that Tesla may be important tool in this war. May be we are used to hear so many things from our politicians and they used to talk more than they do. Chinese government has completely different approach for a long term planning. When they said war this means war!

On my end I am super excited! Like Napoelon said: "China is a sleeping dragon, and if it wakes it will shake the world". The Chinese economy will surpass US sooner than we can fathom and as soon as the Chinese government stops keeping the Yuan artificially weak the buying power of the Chinese will be enormous on the global arena. The whole economy will switch very quickly from an export to an import economy.

Tesls will build cars on the Chinese mainland within 10 years, mark my words :)

On my end I am super excited! Like Napoelon said: "China is a sleeping dragon, and if it wakes it will shake the world". The Chinese economy will surpass US sooner than we can fathom and as soon as the Chinese government stops keeping the Yuan artificially weak the buying power of the Chinese will be enormous on the global arena. The whole economy will switch very quickly from an export to an import economy.

Tesls will build cars on the Chinese mainland within 10 years, mark my words :)

Agree- I think the first step will be a partial manufacturing in much less time- 3-4 years; Full on local sourcing and manufacturing well within 10. In fact, I'm of the persuasion it's in Elon's mind to have a full on plant there for GENIII in 5

View attachment 47703
Science and Technology Minister- Wan Gang and Minister of Industry - Miao Wei met with Tesla CEO Eilon Musk

Wan Gang said that the Chinese government is considering reforms in the tax aspects of electric vehicles, such as import tariffs will be different from the traditional car imports, but the specific details are still under development.

Chinese government is now formulating policies to help companies like Tesla, like entering China, promote the development of electric vehicle industry in China.

Tesla is willing to negotiate opening the Supercharging stations for local government and corporations to help accelerate EVs in China

http://finance.sina.com.cn/chanjing/gsnews/20140423/180318898072.shtml
Thank you for the great post. After I have seen the picture, I decided to do some shopping tonight and add to my long TSLA position.:smile:

View attachment 47703
Science and Technology Minister- Wan Gang and Minister of Industry - Miao Wei met with Tesla CEO Eilon Musk

Wan Gang said that the Chinese government is considering reforms in the tax aspects of electric vehicles, such as import tariffs will be different from the traditional car imports, but the specific details are still under development.

Chinese government is now formulating policies to help companies like Tesla, like entering China, promote the development of electric vehicle industry in China.

Tesla is willing to negotiate opening the Supercharging stations for local government and corporations to help accelerate EVs in China

Thanks Cankooo1, and I am super excited. the past few days, the lightbulb has started going off for me. while specific outcomes are speculative, I don't think there's any denying the great potential fit of Tesla/Musk and China. They both share the same biggest goals... sustainable energy and reduced pollution, and they are both looking to do this via EVs and energy storage. Tesla/Musk hold the best technology on the planet, the Chinese I'm starting to see offer the deepest pockets with motivation to move with great speed to transforming the auto and energy industries.

Please jump in those of you with far more knowledge on China than I have, but I see a country where private sector and government blur, government thinks long-term, is determined to see new industries grow, pollution and sustainable energy addressed, and gets itself involved in massive scale projects. I may have this wrong but my understanding is that there have been million plus population cities that just got developed in the span of say a decade, and the government had a hand in it. or as another example, all but 2 of Beijing's 17 subway lines entered service since 2002, and is now the 3rd longest subway line in terms of miles on the planet (with Shanghai being one of the larger two).

I say all this to suggest that China may turn out to be the big lever Elon has been looking for for ten plus years to convince the global automakers to go after EVs in earnest. I wouldn't expect anything major to get put in place for the next couple of years, but if Tesla nails a Gen III car that is clearly better than an ICE car, Tesla may have the opportunity to enter into whole new kinds of partnerships with the Chinese government/private companies with the goal of a massive increase of battery capacity to allow for EVs and grid storage.

moving into the speculative part... what if the Chinese government literally decided to spend $100 billion dollars from say 2018-2023 to fund 20 gigafactories capable of supplying batteries for 10 million cars? This is the scale Elon thinks about and I don't see any other entity with the will or resources to do it other than the Chinese government. I'm sure Elon would try to cut a deal so Tesla would benefit, but even if China/it's private companies robbed Tesla blind, Elon might still be happy. if China can build 10 million EVs in 2025, and they've taken from Tesla in the process, Elon would a) see the scale of movement to EVs he's looking for, b) have a catalyst to spark the global automakers of far greater strength than the million or so vehicles Tesla might make in 2025 (if China was making 10 million of the best cars on the planet in 2025 I don't think VW, Toyota, etc. could just ignore it, even if all those cars were all sold in China... I just don't think they could sit still if it became obvious that the best cars in the planet were being made in huge volume in China, were EVs, and yet they were continuing to push ICE or plug-in hybrids), and c) still have 90% of the global automarket, 90 million cars, to compete in unaffected by any IP pillaging by the Chinese government/private industries. Then there's the possibility Elon does get something for Tesla in return for working with China. and the possibility that if all this works, in the mid 2020s the Chinese government commits $200 billion to more battery factories. again, this is speculative, and I don't know whether the government in China actually directly funds these sort of efforts, or just incentivizes private business, but you've got giant vision and technology with Tesla, and long-term vision, and giant resources with China. makes Apple and Google look small :)

Hi AIMc,

China is a communist country but in their own way which is completely different than conventional understanding of communism.

Surely you kid:) Mao would roll over in his grave if he saw the China of today. China is beyond any doubt a plutocracy, as the US is rapidly becoming, along with most other countries. You should read Thomas Piketty's new book.

View attachment 47703

Thanks for posting this info.

Although I am excited, I think that it will take some time (2015/2016) before things will actually start to change in favour of Tesla Motors in China. I don't see major changes in policies (in favour of Tesla Motors) being made in China in 2014. A giant moves very slowly.

[FONT=宋体]Quote from the Cankooo1's referenced article:  " Wan Gang said that the Chinese government is considering reforms in the tax aspects of electric vehicles, such as import tariffs will be different from the traditional car imports, but the specific details are still under development.[/FONT]
[FONT=宋体]  Miao Wei, the results affirmed the Tesla now, said the Chinese government is now formulating policies to help companies like Tesla, like entering China, promote the development of electric vehicle industry in China."

To me this sounds that the change is on the way. Not sure how long it takes for Chinese Gov senior officials to push changes through, but my guess would be that they may have an easier job than their counterparts in democratic government.

I find it enlightening to learn about Chinese society and culture from individuals contributing to this thread and providing valuable links. Thank you for your efforts, it is appreciated.[/FONT]

I think Tesla has a bright future in China. Remember that first Tesla that got imported for a crazy amount and the guy can't even drive it?

The guy made 400,000$ on it already using it for display:

1st Tesla on mainland earns $400,000 from shows - Headlines, features, photo and videos from ecns.cn|china|news|chinanews|ecns|cns

I wonder if he knew he wouldn't be able to drive it? I can't think of a worse situation than owning a Model S and not being able to drive the thing. At least he made his money back.

TM is partnering with Hanergy Global Solar Power and Application Group to install solar car ports associated with the Superchargers:

http://www.streetinsider.com/Corporate+News/Tesla+%28TSLA%29+Chooses+Hanergy+Solars+Thin-film+Products/9403580.html