Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

China Market situation and outlook

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeh that's what I meant. I think it could be one of the X to be tested for safety standards?

You mean one of the mules which was seen a year ago in California, while the picture of it in China is current, right? That also explains the fit and finish. Wonder why they would send a prototype though. The new Xs look way better. Any technical issues to test specific to China? Only thing I could think of is charging, but they could use an S for that, too.

Tesla is in contact with Suzhou (a wealthy city in eastern China) about a project to start in Suzhou. The title of the linked news is a bit misleading as it uses "定了!", which means "It's done!". But the only evidence here is Suzhou administrators receiving a notice of talking this internally during last weekend, and senior management from Tesla visiting on site on March 17 and 18.

They plan of a joint venture in China announced by EM earlier this year moves faster than I thought.

定了!特斯拉项目落户苏州?国产后每台降价30万 - 今日头条(TouTiao.com)

• Informative
Reactions: Auzie
Tesla in past 30 days, sales soared 400%

Original Chinese link:
特斯拉过去30天销量暴涨400% - 国内新闻 - 中国日报网

Google translation:
Google Translate

This is the exciting news we haven't heard for long time from China. Key takeaways:
1) Q1 sales record high
2) sales up 400% in the past 30 days compared to the last year
3) hundres of cars will be delivered in the last 3 days of Q1 in each service center
4) China sales target increased to over 10K in 2016
5) Several thousands confirmed X orders from China
6) during last Christmas/New year holidays, China sales is equivalent to EU, #2 market now besides US

1) Q1 sales record high

Sales or deliveries?

3) hundres of cars will be delivered in the last 3 days of Q1 in each service center

This is to be expected with the way they scheduled production in the last quarter of 2015. We expect to see the same in Europe.

Very good. Hopefully Tesla learned their lesson with the disaster that was the model S introduction in China and those orders are from end users instead of scalpers.

6) during last Christmas/New year holidays, China sales is equivalent to EU, #2 market now besides US

Hopefully this says more about a growing Chinese market than a diminishing European market.

Reactions: mmd
Tesla in past 30 days, sales soared 400%

Original Chinese link:
特斯拉过去30天销量暴涨400% - 国内新闻 - 中国日报网

Google translation:
Google Translate

This is the exciting news we haven't heard for long time from China. Key takeaways:
1) Q1 sales record high

I am convinced there is a demand problem at tesla.
In light of that , people keep buying this darn thing.
They should know better and conform to my assertions.

I wonder whether these are customer deliveries or brought across for the "meet the Model X event' in Beijing in April?

4月23日,Model X想要见见你

In April 23rd, X Model wants to see you.
Tesla Tesla 2016-03-24 Tesla
Not a spy,
Not secret,
April 23rd, Tesla X Model China Conference, the real X Model, to show you.
You have to believe in your own eyes - this is probably the coolest SUV ever. "Big Sky" panoramic windshield, Eagle wing door, particulate air filtration system...... In this conference, we will with our model X and all its cool technology to wait for you all, to become worthy.
In April 23rd, X Model wants to see you.
Long by the two-dimensional code in the image can be registered, we will be based on the registration situation, decided to follow the invitation of the conference.

Although the China record Q1 delivery news is encouraging, after a second thought, I think it might be largely credited to the huge incentive program (ICE replacement) between 11/15 and 12/31 in last Q4.

【图】特斯拉要跳票?_MODEL S论坛_汽车之家论坛

In this post, the buyer got 8K RMB incentive from referral program and 80K RMB incentive from ICE car replacement program. So total incentive is 88K RMB (1 USB = 6.6 RMB), which is approximately USD 13.3K. Tesla must had given up more than 10% GM to lure Chinese buyers. I think the delivery # to China will surge in Q1.

Edits: buyer got 88K RMB incentive, the referrer should get 8K RMB too. So the total incentive package for a model S sale is 96K RMB ~= 14.5K USD, I guss the 70D will be sold without margin for this case. Plus all major citys give greenlight for free EV license plate and no EVEN/ODD plate number restriction for EV. There is no doubt China order # surged in Q4 and will be reflected in Q1 delivery report. At this point, I wouldn't worry too much about low GM, the demand growth and sale # is the high priority.

Btw, for ICE car trade-in incentive. The buyer got the value of trade-in at first and Tesla gives another 80K RMB incentive as the Model S price cut.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: mmd
Model X launch event in Beijing. 【图】朋友发来的Model X发布会现场图片_MODEL X论坛_汽车之家论坛
I saw the video yesterday but it's been removed from youku. Will post it if I can find it somewhere else.

It's back up.
特斯拉Model X 中国发布会—在线播放—优酷网,视频高清在线观看

As I expressed in the hangout talk with Dave, I have high hopes for the Model X in China. However, this presentation was a real headscratcher for me. Why in the world would you make an English speaker do the entire presentation when clearly the audience does not speak English? The presenter had to ask twice when he said "Do you want to see the Model X?" to get a response from the audience because clearly no one was paying attention to what he was saying. I really would have liked to see Tesla's China chief Zhu Xiaotong do this instead so that at least the audience could understand. It's one thing if it was Elon Musk talking, otherwise do it in Chinese.

Oh well, it was only a small conference room of people so no harm done I think. They really emphasized the Hepa filter capabilities and showed some quantitative evidence of pollution reduction.

Also the Chinese interpreter in the very beginning mentioned that China is now Tesla's fastest growing market and second largest outside of the US.

EDIT:

Apparently the presenter was newly hired(last Nov) head of global sales and service Jon McNeill.

Last edited:
It's back up.

As I expressed in the hangout talk with Dave, I have high hopes for the Model X in China. However, this presentation was a real headscratcher for me. Why in the world would you make an English speaker do the entire presentation when clearly the audience does not speak English? The presenter had to ask twice when he said "Do you want to see the Model X?" to get a response from the audience because clearly no one was paying attention to what he was saying. I really would have liked to see Tesla's China chief Zhu Xiaotong do this instead so that at least the audience could understand. It's one thing if it was Elon Musk talking, otherwise do it in Chinese.

Oh well, it was only a small conference room of people so no harm done I think. They really emphasized the Hepa filter capabilities and showed some quantitative evidence of pollution reduction.

Also the Chinese interpreter in the very beginning mentioned that China is now Tesla's fastest growing market and second largest outside of the US.

EDIT:

Apparently the presenter was newly hired(last Nov) head of global sales and service Jon McNeill.
Yeh not having the event held in Chinese does seem weird. They did have it in Diaoyutai State Guesthouse, that's some pretty high-end venue to have.

Let's see how things go. If they straighten up all the production bugs, I think it would be big in China. If not, really hard too say. New money is picky.

Very interesting info from this post... Claimed to be information gained from the interaction with Tesla management at the reveal event.

【图】发布会落实几个大家关注的问题!信息量很大哦……_MODEL X论坛_汽车之家论坛

Takeaways:

1. Model X will get new energy vehicle licence plate in Beijing in July, unlike the Model S that waited 1.5 years.
2. Elon Musk is living on Model X production line and QCing every car now. He sent several email blasts to other employees to push production rate.
3. 75D is using a new battery so need further tests in China so X75D will not be available until then.
4. Some dispute among customer and Tesla about charging extra for the home high ampage charger.
5. One white and blue Model X will be on display for tomorrow's Beijing Motor Show.

It's back up.

EDIT:

Agreed. Presenting in English was crazy!

Here's how it should've gone:

1). Brief introduction by Elon Musk. I can't believe he didn't go.

2). Introduction of Tesla's China sales guy followed by Chinese speaking presenter. Entire presentation done in Chinese.