Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

China Model 3 Recall - faulty inverter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

PITA

Model 3 Performance
Sep 2, 2021
West Midlands, UK
Is this real?

Tesla recalls 2019-2022 Model 3 batches for sudden loss of power that can happen at highway speeds​

Or FAKE NEWS

That's a lot of cars with an already stressed supply chain. So far no recall notice on mine. Guess I should practice throwing the car in neutral.
All I do is drive highway that would be an ugly accident in the left lane going 80+

I suspect recall just means an OTA software update anyway.
Looks that way but how do you OTA an inverter issue? I haven't seen any out of band updates just got 2022.8.3 last night.

The company reportedly would upgrade the motor control software for the recalled vehicles free of charge through the remote vehicle upgrade (OTA) technology. The 127,785 recalled vehicles will include 34,207 imported Model 3 vehicles and around 93,578 China-manufactured Model 3 vehicles.

Looks that way but how do you OTA an inverter issue? I haven't seen any out of band updates just got 2022.8.3 last night.

Depends upon what fix means. If fix means to resolve the issue such that the regulator is happy, then a software update to prevent the dangerous situation is enough. For example, early detection of the failure and reporting via software before any observed issue is one solution. Doesn't necessarily mean the underlying design fault is fixed.

Tesla do tend to use software to patch around hardware issues.

VW fixed their emissions issues with software, apparently.

Instructions say: Neutral. Push the drive stalk up or down to the first position and hold it there for more than 1 second to shift into Neutral. Neutral allows Model 3 to roll freely when you are not pressing the brake pedal. You must press the brake pedal to shift out of Neutral if driving slower than approximately 8 km/h.

Never tried it though. I would hope if there is any type of motor issue it automatically goes in to a neutral state and doesn't quickly slow the car.

• Informative
Reactions: PITA