Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

China State Grid Corporation building "superchargers"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
China State Grid Corporation is building high speed charging stations along highway service areas.
11531075284qea.jpg

Key points:

• 4x 120 kilowatts DC. Chinese GB standard.
  • 8 charging plugs per location.
  • Cost: 0.65-0.8 yuan per kWh (10-13 Dollar cent).
  • About to open the Beijing-Shanghai line (1262 km), with charger every 50 km on average.
  • Jiangsu section (close to Shanghai): 11 locations in 6 cities: Suzhou, Wuxi, Taizhou, Yangzhou, Huai'an and Suqian.

Full text google translate:
Ten air pollution face "haze" V, high oil prices drove the cost of your eyes ...... let people focus on electric vehicles, however, the high-speed electric vehicles on long distances "no oil" how to do? Now, the good news came: Recently, five electric vehicles have been the first to break the ice, "the Beijing-Shanghai line," long-distance travel, the Beijing-Shanghai high-speed line indicates rapid charging system is about to be opened. Modern Express reporter learned that, among a total of Jiangsu section 11 charging stations.

Modern Express reporter Liu Weiwei

The fastest 30 minutes can be charged, the electricity is only half the fuel costs

Clean non-polluting electric vehicles, but has long been plagued by problems charging popularity of electric vehicles. Last year, the State Grid Corporation introduced measures planned in Beijing, Hong Kong and Macao high-speed Beijing-Shanghai high-speed and high-speed along the Green Bank building electric car charging stations. According to CCTV reported that the Beijing-Shanghai high-speed line fast charging system is about to be opened. January 10, five electric vehicles have been the first to break the ice, "the Beijing-Shanghai line," long-distance travel.

It is reported that the Beijing-Shanghai high-speed full 1262 km, with an average 50 km each way a fast charging station, electric vehicles can be filled with the fastest 30 minutes. Price 0.65-0.8 yuan per kWh, equivalent to half the electricity costs of fuel mileage cars.

Fuel vehicles by an average of one hundred kilometers 9-10L oil operator, running the entire Shanghai oil costs about 800 yuan, so doing an electric car to run the whole electricity in Shanghai around 400 yuan.

Jiangsu section of the Beijing-Shanghai high-speed charging stations have 11

Beijing-Shanghai high-speed Jiangsu section altogether after six cities, namely, Suzhou, Wuxi, Taizhou, Yangzhou, Huai'an and Suqian. State Grid Jiangsu Electric Power Company official told the Modern Express reporter, Jiangsu section total 11 charging stations, to ensure a smooth electric vehicle charging and battery life.

"It's 11 charging stations are in the service area." The official said that all charging stations are located in motorway service area, including the Jiangyin Bridge service area included, did not shed construction area.

It is reported that each charging station configuration 4 120 kilowatts DC charger, 8 charging piles, each pile with a gun charge, to meet eight simultaneous charging of electric vehicles. In the charging station, customers can choose according to need fast charge, slow charge, timing, amount, given power and other charging.

It is reported that National Grid has built 24,000 charging pile, forming the Beijing-Shanghai, Beijing, Hong Kong and Macao (Beijing - Xianning), the Green Bank (Qingdao - Shijiazhuang) "two vertical and one horizontal" network, continued line mileage 2900 km, the scale of the world most. Charging pile for all electric vehicles in line with the national standard charge.

Source (Chinese)

Last edited:
Sounds very similar to superchargers. Honestly awesome! China needs EVs bad. It will be interesting to see if Tesla is able to come up with an adapter. I imagine the utility could roll these out pretty rapidly if the powers that be want them.

Now I'm just waiting for a seeking alpha article about Model S not being compatible, which will lead to the timely collapse of Tesla. As a side note, they'll probably refer us to an article about the new unicorn manufacturing co.-- thats where the industry is going!

Is it technically possible to charge a small battery like that on a LEAF at 120 kW without damaging the battery? The last 20% of a 85 kWh Model S pack can't safely be charged at that rate.

It sounds like they may simply using Tesla's technology, which Tesla is quite willing to share, and this would be excellent for the emergence of a Tesla ecosystem in China.

Something tells me electric vehicles made by Chinese manufacturers will not be able to safely charge at the same rate of Tesla's vehicles, unless the Chinese manufacturers work with Tesla to make sure it is done correctly. China offers up to $20,000 in subsidies for electric vehicles produced by Chinese companies, making it possible for Chinese companies to sell relatively safe $30,000 electric vehicles to people who would otherwise be forced to drive very small and very unsafe vehicles that by definition aren't considered cars. I suspect Elon open sourcing Tesla's patents created a lot of good will and face for Tesla in China that will be very beneficial when establishing partnerships. It's possible Tesla has already signed deals that we haven't heard about yet.

Does Tesla own the Superchargers that billionaires in China purchased from Tesla to speed up the deploying of the Supercharge network?
Businessman Creates Tesla 'Charging Road' From Beijing to Guangzhou

I recall hearing about other cases.

Who owns the land the Superchargers are placed at? Does anyone know if Tesla covers the full cost of installing Superchargers on private lots?

Last edited:
Something tells me electric vehicles made by Chinese manufacturers will not be able to safely charge at the same rate of Tesla's vehicles, unless the Chinese manufacturers work with Tesla to make sure it is done correctly. China offers up to $20,000 in subsidies for electric vehicles produced by Chinese companies, making it possible for Chinese companies to sell relatively safe $30,000 electric vehicles to people who would otherwise be forced to drive very small and very unsafe vehicles that by definition aren't considered cars. I suspect Elon open sourcing Tesla's patents created a lot of good will and face for Tesla in China that will be very beneficial when establishing partnerships. It's possible Tesla has already signed deals that we haven't heard about yet.

Does Tesla own the Superchargers that billionaires in China purchased from Tesla to speed up the deploying of the Supercharge network?
Businessman Creates Tesla 'Charging Road' From Beijing to Guangzhou

I recall hearing about other cases.

Who owns the land the Superchargers are placed at? Does anyone know if Tesla covers the full cost of installing Superchargers on private lots?
The Beijing-Guangzhou route uses HPWCs. I haven't heard of any independently sourced Superchargers yet.

Tesla in deal with China Unicom to add 400 charging stations in China - WSJ
Tesla Signs Deal With China Unicom on Charging Points - Bloomberg

According to this, China Unicom provides the land, Tesla provides the Superchargers.

"The [Chinese] central government is considering providing as much as 100 billion yuan ($16 billion) to build charging facilities and spur demand for clean cars, according to two people familiar with the matter."

Anyone who knows fluent Chinese know anything else about this? It seems like Europe and Asia are making tens of billions, if not hundreds of billions of dollars available for the type of technology Tesla is producing.

Last edited:
Less powerful cars will just charge slower.

No. Chinese national standard ("GB").

Yes, but the Chinese standard may just be an adaption of a current standard. When Tesla was trying to get standard L2 to work by their standards they said it was very similar to European standards so there wasn't much they needed to change. It is very likely a Chademo plug since it is plugged into a Leaf in the background (or whatever the Chinese version of the leaf is) so I assume Tesla should be able to make something that works with it just as well.

I am not really worried. Sounds good all around!

From autohome:
The cars tested were BYD E6, BYD Denza, Beiqi EV200, Nissan Venucia.
So no car capable of using the full 120 kW.

500_27087790-3480-92h86k8z.jpg

..., now charging
charge level: 50% charging current 118A
... time 0 hours 54 minutes
500_27385080-3487-e593css6.jpg

now charging...
charging voltage: 313.3 V
charging current: 74.9 A
... 6.62 capacity
charging time: 15 minutes
total charging time: 1 hour 55 minutes

Last edited:
Thanks for also including translations on the text!

Yeah, I don't think it is a shock that they didn't have a car to show using the full 120kW. But the fact that it works on all those cars, which have been DC capable for a while, makes me think that they are either just using an adaption of Chademo (theoretically it is capable of more than 50kW) or some other type.

Since the car software has to include some kind of talking and negotiation with the outlet, the car should request how much power it is currently able to draw and request that amount. This is why a Model S doesn't always draw 120kW, and even your 240V outlet in your house, it doesn't always draw 100% of the power. It is just like any other electrical equipment, it draws the power it needs at the time. Otherwise when you plug your PC into the wall you would instantly use up all 15A of power... which just doesn't happen.

So as long as you have an adapter to fit the plug AND you can communicate with the service over their protocol, I don't see why this would be any issue for Tesla to be able to make something that works for their chargers.

Well, it may be protected by licensing fees which might not be acquirable by a foreign car manufacturer. So, yes, technically possible, but in practice?

Also, I sure would like to test these with a car that could actually draw 120kW to see if they really work at that level.