Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

China Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For the record: another 50-stall in Shanghai

1BC7BD77-08F5-4030-A840-2FCEE3D89CAA.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: corywright
China supercharge.info update:

A bit of background info - supercharge.info editors have a tool which shows an automated feed of Tesla's recently opened sites. It's the exact info that you see on their "findus" map. It's used alongside the crowdsourced data from people here on TMC and other forums to find sites that sneak through the permit and construction phase, among others.

Up until April 2019, Sites in China almost exclusively came from this feed since we didn't have any Chinese contributors/editors. Since about April 2019, no new sites in China have appeared on this feed (despite news stories about sites opening). It seems from that date, Tesla started to maintain a completely separate website, database and supercharger map (probably due to Chinese mapping issues) for China. A bit of investigation a few weeks ago found that by accessing the Chinese Tesla site (https://tesla.cn), we could see the map, but integrating the feed would take some work.

Two days ago, it seems we didn't have to do the work - Tesla merged the feeds and now the last 15 months of updates have come through in one hit! They're visible in the editors console, but need to be added to supercharge.info one at a time, a lot of it is automated but it's still a minute or two per site.

Anyway - in the next week or two you're going to see a LOT of new locations in China. Over 500, it seems. Editors are discussing the process now and it looks like one thing that will happen is that we'll manually remove the sites from the "changes" tab. This is because it would drown out all the other changes that occur. They'll still appear in "data", "charts", etc. and on external feeds like the RSS feed and http://twitter.com/superchargefeed for example - just not the "changes" tab.

It's being discussed over at Superchargers China if anyone wants to follow along. Still a team effort. Discussion welcome!

Pinging all the editors I know of who are on TMC - @MarcoRP @tes-s @corywright @emupilot @Pluto and of course @BlueShift! (I hope I haven't missed anyone)

This is excellent news! One thing you could do to avoid drowning out current changes is to slip in all the China openings at the date they happened, so they'd have scrolled off of the current activity a while ago. Or you could create a special weekly China summary change that would just list minimal information like how many sites and maybe links to their pins?

But I'm sure you've thought of all the various possibilities already. Thanks for the efforts. It's all good.

I'm assuming that China updates will just show up in the regular changes list from now on, right?

I’m seeing more and more Supercharger locations with empty forum links on supercharge.info. Also, seen there isn’t much chat about Superchargers in China, this would be a general thread to do so.
Here in Shanghai, I mostly use 3rd party fast chargers due to around 40% cost saving and no over-stay fee. Thank goodness for all the Superchargers out side of SH though:p

• Informative
Reactions: PStewart