Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

China: Tesla Approved To Produce Model 3 With LFP Batteries

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TMC Staff

May 19, 2017
LFP batteries may be used in the Standard Range Plus version. Tesla was recently approved by the Ministry of Industry and Information Technology to produce in China the Model 3, equipped with lithium-iron-phosphate (LFP) batteries. It’s assumed (but not confirmed) that the no-cobalt LFP chemistry, in the new cell-to-pack design, will be supplied by CATL,...
[WPURI="https://teslamotorsclub.com/blog/2020/06/11/china-tesla-produce-model3-lfp-batteries/"]READ FULL ARTICLE[/WPURI]

LFP - How about the chemical notation? LiFeP04
Lithium iron phosphate battery - Wikipedia
MIC

Why can't authors just write what they mean?? What is with this acronym B*LL Sh*t.
We all have computers/word processor and we aren't trying to write in some secret code, are we??

Made in China - is that so hard to write??

Most chemicals are two letters - here are the proper initials
Alphabetical list by Name of the chemical elements of the periodic table

(Small wonder US cititzens are so dim - look what we have to read.)

on China approval of new battery technology.
I saw that report. If not anything wrong, it's not a new battery technology. It's just Lithium iron phosphate battery which widely use on China's EV. It's more stable in some situation (doesn't mean safer) and has low energy destiny but much cheaper. BYD using same battery on their highest trim EV "HAN" which has a new technology what they call "blade battery". It's even more stable and able to storage more energy due to its "blade" structure.
So that being said, if the profit is the same. Tesla is raising more money in China.

Reactions: Schulmann
I haven't heard about the "blade" structure but everything I've read says lithium iron phosphate battery is not as energy dense as a "regular" lithium-ion battery. But you're correct, it's not a new technology.
"The Blade Battery is essentially a lithium iron phosphate (LFP) battery, but in a new approach to significantly increase safety and volumetric energy density as well as reduce costs."
BYD Reveals Ultra-Safe Blade Battery: Pierces It With A Nail
Basically it's two different way technology compare to Tesla. BYD want the LFP battery storage more energy while still make it stable.
They did a "nail penetration" which I think is a marketing ad lol. You can't test the battery safety without putting the battery in the actually battery pack along with cooling system and all of that.
Anyways, it's cool to see EVs getting better and better.

This is good news! I am also looking forward to long lasting (20+ years) and more energy dense batteries that are sourced and produced using humane and environmentally-friendly methods. I think Tesla all along has been aware of the importance of these methods and has been doing their best to further high standards, from materials production all the way to fully completed vehicles.

There’s quite a lot of controversy kicking off on the German speaking Tesla forums:

M3 SR+ ... Bestellungen und Auslieferungen Q4 2020

A number of posters have just picked up their “made in China” (MIC) model 3 sr+ and finding that the charge rate is pretty poor. This is coming after early reports of faster that exist battery charging. One poster - phil3 - who was one of the first to get a mic Tesla is even posting that his car stopped charging at 89%. Doesn’t look good!

There’s quite a lot of controversy kicking off on the German speaking Tesla forums:

M3 SR+ ... Bestellungen und Auslieferungen Q4 2020

A number of posters have just picked up their “made in China” (MIC) model 3 sr+ and finding that the charge rate is pretty poor. This is coming after early reports of faster that exist battery charging. One poster - phil3 - who was one of the first to get a mic Tesla is even posting that his car stopped charging at 89%. Doesn’t look good!
I'm having issues also. Collected my SR+ on Friday and tried my first full charge today on an 11kw street charger. It got to 93% then the car declared it was fully charged. The range was 385km

Does the car need to calibrate itself first?

When I collected the car it also only had about a 30% battery charge. Presumably that's what it came out of the factory with.

• Informative
Reactions: transpondster
This I think was inevitable (and safer), at least until graphene batteries or some other breakthrough occurs. May need to change user charging behavior.