TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

China to extend subsidies on electric cars past 2015

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by jkliu47, Feb 9, 2014.

1. jkliu47

jkliu47 Member

2. TD1

TD1 Member

I thought this subsidies only apply to EVs that are build in China?

3. Benz

Benz Active Member

That's indeed so, if I am informed correctly. I do not pretend to know everything, and I never will intend to do so.

4. artsci

artsci Sponsor

If I'm not mistaken, nearly all electric power generation in China is from coal-fired power plants and they're building more of them at an alarming rate. I'm not sure electrification of autos will get them very much. But it's certainly a move in the right direction.

5. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

No, China has some massive hydro stations http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydropower_in_China#Hydropower

But heating homes is largely coal pellets. Guys pedal around huge stacks of coal on bike trailers.

6. jkliu47

jkliu47 Member

Additional information regarding this issue in post #1288

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2014 - Page 129

7. VolkerP

VolkerP EU Model S P-37

China has the world's largest production capacity for solar photovoltaics. Most of PV cells are exported, but significant numbers are installed in China lately. They have massive hydro power projects. China runs world's only two-basin tidal power plant at Haishan, Maoyan Island. The nuclear generation capacity is expanded, though there was a moratorium after the triple meltdown in Fukushima. They have installed world's largest wind power capacity. The Chinese government has identified power supply as a limiting factor for the GDP growth. They order and build the latest coal-fired power plant technology reaching >45% efficiency. Older plants get scrapped because the new ones generate more power from the same amount of coal.

No I am not hailing the Chinese government. I am well aware of the qualities of that regime. And there is hardly a week without news of another disaster in the coal mines, due to safety rules not adhered and the controllers being bribed to look away.

But it would be a better world if the U.S. stop to look at China as a third world developing country and pick up the competition in China's push for clean power supply. :cursing:

8. artsci

artsci Sponsor

About 79% of annual electricity was produced with coal in China between 2004-2010.

9. dgh

dgh Member

Stationary vs Mobile Power Generation

China has both low grade coal and low grade gasoline (but they plan to phase in European gasoline standards over the next few year). Both are pretty bad, but I'd suspect (could be wrong) that the effecincy from large stationary coal plants for an EV has a smaller carbon foot print than an ICE using gasoline.

10. jkliu47

jkliu47 Member

Update:

Just received reply from brother-in-law who reserved a P85 for Zhong Shan - "I just checked that tax exemption is only for china made car only. Since all tesla are imported. No tax subsidy."

The good news is that this didn't change his mind.