TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

China's EV Difficulties

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by Doug_G, Jun 7, 2012.

1. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Design News - Captain Hybrid - China's Electric Cars No Better Than Ours

Same old song.

That's bordering on FUD, IMHO.

2. glong1044

glong1044 New Member

I was at a Nike conference yesterday and Tesla sent Troy Jones to be our guest speaker. He introduced himself as the regional manager and said he works with George Blankenship. In his speech to us, he told us that Asia Pacific was Tesla's largest market and that Tesla is looking into moving some of their manufacturing to China. Does anyone have more details on this? I'm wondering which city they are considering and who they may be partnering with.

3. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

If true, this would not play well in politically.

4. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

If Tesla actually gets to the point where they sell in volume to Asia, then it makes sense to have some local manufacturing.

5. markwj

markwj Moderator, Asia Pacific

The China domestic market, even for premium cars like BMW, Mercedes, etc, is enormous.

I've heard rumors that Tesla will open a retail presence there (probably Shanghai), but not so sure about manufacturing.

6. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

A lot of global companies will localize manufacturing - you skip all the customs issues, shipping costs, etc. While selecting China would prob be for cost savings, the volume isn't there yet - and in any case, I'd be surprised if they moved any part of manufacturing to China - more likely somewhere else in Asia. Just a guess on my part. You just don't move new designs offshore, where you can't make quick changes and evaluate first hand. Stable product, not requiring a lot of interaction with the engineers ... sure. We're not there yet.

7. markwj

markwj Moderator, Asia Pacific

+1 Bonnie: it's a volume and product stability issue.