TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

China's largest electric car charging station opens

Discussion in 'News' started by markwj, Jan 31, 2012.

1. markwj

markwj Moderator, Asia Pacific

China's largest electric car charging station opens

BEIJING – China’s largest electric vehicle (EV) charging and battery swapping station has been put into operation in Beijing, sources with the city’s power supply authorities said Sunday. Gaoantun charging station, located in the eastern Beijing district of Chaoyang, has been installed with more than 10 types of EV charging or battery swapping machines, covering all charging modes that are available in China.

So far, Beijing has completed construction of 12 charging and battery swapping stations and 274 charging posts.
    Beijing was chosen as one of the 25 pilot cities in China for the utilization of new-energy vehicles.
    China plans to have more than 500,000 electric, hybrid and fuel-cell vehicles on the road by 2015 and 5 million by 2020.

2. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

In this case, they really are powered by coal. The air quality in Beijing is disgusting.

3. markwj

They are trying (in Beijing at least). Here's the plan from 2008:
    Energy Development and Energy Mix Readjustment - eBeijing.gov.cn

Short-term focus is primarily switching from coal to natural gas.

Hong Kong is working along similar lines:
    Fuel bills, fares to rise on cleaner air - The Standard
    Estimate is that our fuel bills will rise 20% in 2014 as a result of the new targets. If it means I can breath, I'll pay it.

4. tdelta1000

tdelta1000 Active Member

wow...it's a little frustrating to see other countries investing in EVs and here at home any investment is met with resistance. I guess China will show the world how battery swapping is done on a full scale.

5. zack

zack Member

Well, look at it this way. They can be the early adopters and make all of the mistakes, and we can get it right the first time as a result. Maybe.

Naw, probably not. 8^) But we have the coolest electric car company! w00T!!11!1!!

6. markwj