Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chinese BYD EV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If BYD has only sold 80 of these things AND it's true that the 60 mile AER is limited to NEV speeds of about 31 mph, I think this vehicle is DOA:

This version of F3DM won't be coming to America. They are using it to work the bugs out and will have something nicer for the US market. They may have only sold 80 but they aren't available to the public yet, only to Government agencies or entities. An Australian show drove one (Dateline, I think) and they thought it was pretty decent. They didn't check the all-electric range though. I think the company is getting some pressure from the government for some reason. I wouldn't put a lot of stock in the original article since there weren't any actual sources named. As for less than 60 miles of range, even if it only got 40 (like the Volt) it would considered a pretty good deal in the low $20's or less.

Hmm. A different model than the sedan that was originally expected.
byd-e6.jpg

Looks like the same one to me. They always were planning on two models: the all-electric E6 crossover, and the range-extended F3DM sedan. It's a good sign that they expect to be ready to enter the US a year earlier. They're probably feeling the competition from some of the big names now too, who are all aiming for 2010-2012.

Okay, we have a $40,000 price point (approx), range of 186 miles and speed of 99 mph which IMO is not bad considering what is on the market today, set for release in 2010. WHERE ARE THE TEST DRIVES? Warren, these should be all over the place :confused:

I'm still in the "I'll believe it when I see it category."

The hardest thing for a Chinese car maker to overcome to enter the US market successfully has got to be the safety tests. If they can't get a 5 star rating they're history. Even then they'll have to overcome the old perception that "made in China" = junk... which isn't necessarily true - most everything is made in China nowadays.

Hopefully they don't make any major mistakes on the way in. As much as I'd like to have the US lead in the EV industry, more than anything I'd just like to have EV's take over, and if a Chinese company can lower the price so it's affordable to the mainstream and really catches on, then good for them!

Agreed.

We went through this "=junk" phase with Japanese and Korean companies in the past. Nowadays the opposite is true.

One Chinese company has already pulled this off in the networking world. I'm posting this through one of their own branded products right now. I'm sure the Chinese car companies can do the same thing.

BBC NEWS | Science & Environment | Harrabin's Notes: Electric promise

_46577696_cimg0199.jpg

BYD says that its new E6 electric car due out before the end of the year will do 250 miles (400km) on a single charge.

This is a very big number. The Tesla electric sports car does almost as much, but has little room for anything else in the car but the battery.

The E6 is roomy with space for five passengers and a good-sized boot. The battery tucks under the back seat.

It needs 7-8 hours with a domestic plug to charge the car but BYD - it stands for Build Your Dreams - says a specially developed fast charging point with a lead the diameter of a fire hose will fill up the car in just one hour.

You can get half a charge in only 10 minutes.

The E6 will sell for £30,000 and is aimed initially at the eco-conscious California market. When the price comes down with mass production, it'll be rolled out properly in China.

8 hours on 230V/13A domestic supply = 24kWh. So either the domestic charging or the range of 250 miles claim is a little bit suspect.

8 hours on 230V/13A domestic supply = 24kWh. So either the domestic charging or the range of 250 miles claim is a little bit suspect.
FWIW, BYD Website lists domestic outlet as 10A @ 220V (under Specifications). Range is prominently featured on manufacturer's website, while full recharge time from domestic outlet is not, so I would treat the latter as suspect. Interestingly, the interviewer asks Rebecca Wang to confirm range, but not recharge time.
GCC, which is pretty good with fact-checking, lists power consumption at 290 Wh/mile (likely city cycle, taking Roadster's low 200's for "gentle" driving cycle as a point of comparison), so usable pack capacity must be at least 290 * 250 = 72.5 kWh. At 90% charging efficiency, domestic outlet recharge time is 72.5 kWh * / .9 * 2.2 kW = 36.6 Hrs.
To get 36 kWh into a pack in 10 min requires 36 kWh / 1/6 hr = 216 kW at 100% efficiency. Not sure of efficiencies at such high rates, but at 90% that's 240 kW. That makes sense, given how thick the charge cable in the video is. Waste heat would equal 24kW / 6 = 8 kWh, so comparable to one nice refrigerator (IIRC, "two nice refrigerators" waste ~14 kWh).

"Filling stations" for electric automobiles installed in Shenzhen - People's Daily Online
China's largest electric charging stations for electric automobiles were put into service at the Universiade Center in Shenzhen's Longgang District December 28. The first batch of electric charging stations and poles in Shenzhen are composed of 2 charging stations and 134 charging poles with a combined charging capacity of 2,480 kVA. This is another major move for Shenzhen to accelerate its development of new energy automobiles and a low-carbon economy.
In terms of charging time, the BYD E6 electric car for example, needs just 2 hours to be charged under the express charging mode and can run up to 300 kilometers.

China never ceases to amaze me. When they get started on a project, they'll work hard on it and have it finished before it would have even reached planning commission stage here in the U.S. Their recently completed high speed rail project is just one example - and now it looks like the electric car will be for sale on their home turf even earlier than originally planned this year. But it appears Nissan will beat them to it in the U.S.

This is a series of serious announcements.

BYD e6 EV goes 205 miles between charges, coming to the US in 2010
Unlike some other electric vehicle manufacturers, BYD has actually been selling cars to real, live consumers for the past two years. In 2009, BYD sold 450,000 units in China, and expects to sell around 800,000 this year. The big news, however, is that they plan to start selling the e6 in North America in 2010 - a full year ahead of schedule.

byd-2.jpg
[The] battery...reportedly gives the e6 a range of 205 miles per charge, an estimated acceleration time of 0 to 60mph in under 14 seconds, and a top speed of 87mph... real-world performance, in other words. It can also be recharged from a household outlet, regaining 50 percent of its capacity in just ten minutes.

byd-3.JPG

BYD now has a US base in California, and the e6 is currently undergoing certification to allow it to be sold in that country. The company is also seeking a third party to help with the development of a network of charging stations. There’s no word yet on price, although operating costs should be about a third of those for a gasoline-powered car.

byd-6.JPG

Last edited: