TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Chip in windshield

Discussion in 'Canada' started by zaeem, Jul 6, 2018.

1. zaeem

zaeem Member

I was driving to work today on the Gardiner and a rock hit the windshield, which ended up causing a chip. I was pretty shocked and upset to see a chip on a car this new. Are Tesla windshields not as thick as other manufacturers? I had a G35x for 8 years prior to this and I've never had a chip or crack.

Attached Files:

2. Vawlkus

Vawlkus Member

Wow, that nailed you good. With the cracks, I dunno if that’s fixable.

3. Lloyd

Lloyd Well-Known Member

I believe you can do a mobile repair on that one. USAA provides that repair at no charge.

• Funny x 1
  4. zaeem

zaeem Member

I'm currently sitting at Speedy Glass to get it repaired. They said it'll still leave a mark (which I can live with for now). repair cost is $105 plus taxes. Will post results when it's done.

5. yyzunderdog

yyzunderdog Member

I think it's just bad luck.

I had one hit mine on day 2 REALLY loud - thought it was ruined... but have yet to find a mark or crack.

I hope the fix comes out good for you.

6. zaeem

zaeem Member

Got it fixed. It's still noticeable but could be worse.

Attached Files:

• Like x 3
  7. Kiyi

Kiyi Member

Looks a lot better! Had the same happen on my ICE and it was covered for free under my insurance policy. They’ll also opt to replace the windshield if it’s directly in the line of sight of the driver

8. kellogg76

kellogg76 Member

Lucky you, I got a chip that cracked the following day after <1500km in my 3, still waiting for Apple Auto Glass to call me about how they intend on getting the glass from Tesla.

Tesla's answer was for me to drive a 2600km round trip to Montreal for the repair!

9. zaeem

zaeem Member

My deductible is $500. Didn't seem worth it to wait and replace the entire thing. It is in my line of sight, however. If I don't get used to it being there, I might have to get it replaced.

10. zaeem

zaeem Member

That's unfortunate! Do you know how much it's going to cost to replace the windshield?

11. kellogg76

kellogg76 Member

My deductible is $250 (given the amount of glass on this car, i've since lowered it to $100), not sure on the list price of the glass if not going through insurance.

12. Hugh Mannity

Hugh Mannity Mediocre Member

Good thing you guys don’t live in Alberta. The spring is brutal for chips and cracks. They pretty much put gravel on the roads vs sand that Ontario/Quebec uses.

13. Vawlkus

Vawlkus Member

Weird, they’re usually better about that. Wonder if Tesla is being argumentative.

14. Jctin

Jctin Member

Did anybody have their windshield film protected?
    Am doing mine but been waiting for the right 1 mill film to come in
    Cost is $350.

15. kellogg76

kellogg76 Member

Update for my windshield is that Apple Auto Glass say it'll take 2-3 weeks to get the glass as they need to get set up with Tesla as an authorized installer on the corporate side.

16. Vawlkus

Vawlkus Member

Bleh, that stinks. :(

17. eros

eros Member

Same thing happened to me. 3 weeks in, rock hit my windshield. Speedy glass 'repaired' it. It's still noticeable to me, but others haven't noticed it.

18. AaronYOW

AaronYOW Member

I have an early version of this product, a windshield protection film, on another car and I highly recommend it. I got it because I take that car to the track and I wanted protection from rock/debris when following other cars on track. I am considering this for my Model 3 as well: ExoShield | Alchemy

Not sure if there's any other products like this. With the rise and popularity of paint protection films, I'm surprised this isn't more of a thing for windshields.

19. TaoJones

TaoJones Beyond Driven

Another option is C-Bond’s exterior windshield coating. Inexpensive with a great warranty. There are some recent threads with more info.

20. Pescakl1

Pescakl1 Member

I have been told by a company that plans to offer this, that they have problems with distortion and glare, so now, they are still looking for the right film to offer.

Hopefully, this will come soon as here, you almost have to change your windshield every 4-5 years with all the rocks sent away.