Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chip in windshield

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was driving to work today on the Gardiner and a rock hit the windshield, which ended up causing a chip. I was pretty shocked and upset to see a chip on a car this new. Are Tesla windshields not as thick as other manufacturers? I had a G35x for 8 years prior to this and I've never had a chip or crack.

Attachments

• IMG_20180706_101524.jpg
    IMG_20180706_101524.jpg
    247.2 KB · Views: 230
I'm currently sitting at Speedy Glass to get it repaired. They said it'll still leave a mark (which I can live with for now). repair cost is $105 plus taxes. Will post results when it's done.
I think it's just bad luck.

I had one hit mine on day 2 REALLY loud - thought it was ruined... but have yet to find a mark or crack.

I hope the fix comes out good for you.

Lucky you, I got a chip that cracked the following day after <1500km in my 3, still waiting for Apple Auto Glass to call me about how they intend on getting the glass from Tesla.

Tesla's answer was for me to drive a 2600km round trip to Montreal for the repair!

Looks a lot better! Had the same happen on my ICE and it was covered for free under my insurance policy. They’ll also opt to replace the windshield if it’s directly in the line of sight of the driver

My deductible is $500. Didn't seem worth it to wait and replace the entire thing. It is in my line of sight, however. If I don't get used to it being there, I might have to get it replaced.

Lucky you, I got a chip that cracked the following day after <1500km in my 3, still waiting for Apple Auto Glass to call me about how they intend on getting the glass from Tesla.

Tesla's answer was for me to drive a 2600km round trip to Montreal for the repair!

That's unfortunate! Do you know how much it's going to cost to replace the windshield?

Weird, they’re usually better about that. Wonder if Tesla is being argumentative.

I was driving to work today on the Gardiner and a rock hit the windshield, which ended up causing a chip. I was pretty shocked and upset to see a chip on a car this new. Are Tesla windshields not as thick as other manufacturers? I had a G35x for 8 years prior to this and I've never had a chip or crack.

Did anybody have their windshield film protected?
Am doing mine but been waiting for the right 1 mill film to come in
Cost is $350.

I have an early version of this product, a windshield protection film, on another car and I highly recommend it. I got it because I take that car to the track and I wanted protection from rock/debris when following other cars on track. I am considering this for my Model 3 as well: ExoShield | Alchemy

Not sure if there's any other products like this. With the rise and popularity of paint protection films, I'm surprised this isn't more of a thing for windshields.

Not sure if there's any other products like this. With the rise and popularity of paint protection films, I'm surprised this isn't more of a thing for windshields.

I have been told by a company that plans to offer this, that they have problems with distortion and glare, so now, they are still looking for the right film to offer.

Hopefully, this will come soon as here, you almost have to change your windshield every 4-5 years with all the rocks sent away.