TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Chip inside Charge Port Door

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by paythepiper, Jun 11, 2018.

1. paythepiper

paythepiper New Member

Anybody know what the small chip inside the Charge Port Door is for?

Thanks!

2. novox77

novox77 1.21 Gigawatts

the little rhombus/diamond shaped thingy? It is part of the pressure sensor for the charge port door. If it's missing, you can't press on the door to open it. But you can still open the door via UMC or center screen.

Lots of people reporting that it's falling out. Mine's back in with some 2x-sided tape and seems to be working ok.

• Informative x 3
  3. gpxl

gpxl Member

Mine fell out and needed to be glued back in as well.

4. android04

android04 Member

Mine fell out last week after 3000 miles driven. I cleaned the area with alcohol and used epoxy to glue it back. Held it clamped while it charged for epoxy to cure. Will probably never fall again.

• Informative x 1
  5. nickpants

nickpants Member

I just had mine fall out after washing the car. I went to plug the car in and i heard a piece of metal drop. i figured it came from my pocket, and plugged the car in and then got the red "T" and 2 errors on the screen, one said it couldn't charge, and the other said press brake and unplug charger to try again. I unplugged everything, restarted the car and issue persisted. I went back to the charger and found the little piece of metal. I tapped it to the bottom of the charger where it would match up if attached, and everything went Green and the car started charging. I assume the car thought the charger was closed while it was open. Very strange. I guess i'll be picking up some epoxy tonight.

6. TheOtherPete

TheOtherPete Member

nickpants, not sure that is the same thing - the piece we are talking about is plastic and is attached to the charge port door. When it is missing the charge port works fine, the only thing that doesn't work is the "press the corner of the charge port to open" function - it can still be opened by other means (such as the Tesla app)

7. nickpants

nickpants Member

I think it's the same part, except mine is definitely not plastic, its a very light metal.

if the charge door is open and i tap this piece of metal to the corner of the port it will close the door. I think my car got confused if it was open or closed. it works fine now.

Attached Files:

• 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      51.7 KB
      Views:
    • 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      32.5 KB
      Views:
    • 0.jpg
      0.jpg
      File size:
      36.9 KB
      Views:
    • Like x 1
  8. TheOtherPete

TheOtherPete Member

Yep that is definitely it, I was confused about your report that you got an error while charging because of it. I had no problem charging when my piece fell out before I glued it back

9. jsrawa

jsrawa Member

Looks like it’s time for some new glue in Fremont.

10. Craig-Tx

Craig-Tx Member

Mine fell out about 5000 miles ago. I've had no issues charging at home, super charging, destination charging or even charging with J1772 adapter. Only issue I've found is that I can't tap the door to open it.
    I still have the part and will bring it up next time I have enough minor issues to make a service appt.

11. arcus

arcus Active Member

Is this what Elon meant about helping to build Model 3 with our own hands? :)

• Funny x 3
  12. darkenergy

darkenergy Member

Ours just fell out at about 2000km. Good thing it was while it was in the garage. The only reason I noticed it was dark on concrete.

I see some epoxy in the future

13. nitzmahone

nitzmahone Supporting Member

Yep, the same piece fell off my original charge port door about a week after I got the car, and the one on my replacement charge port door (replaced on "charge port door needs service" message flapping post-first-wash) just fell off a couple days ago. Epoxied it back in, all's well, and I'll be amazed if it ever falls out again.

14. brianhill33

brianhill33 Member

Mine fell off last week, but I had no idea what it was. I heard it hit the ground at the public charger when the door closed on the adapter while I was replacing the plug at the station. Thankfully I put it in my pocket. This thread, Gorilla glue and a small clamp, and it's as good as new...I hope.

15. dethman

dethman Member

OMG spend 50K and need double sided tape/superglue to fix shoddy manufacturing work. o_O

16. Garlan Garner

Garlan Garner Well-Known Member

My charge port thing fell out somewhere in the world and now I can't open the charge port door manually.

Headed to Tesla today. ( Fortunately they service center is only 20 min away ).

17. Msjulie

Msjulie Active Member

Good to know/keep an eye on; surprisingly mine looks pretty good

doortab.jpg

18. Garlan Garner

I believe the weather might be the contributing factor. It got cold here quite quickly and I have neighbors missing theirs now as well.

• Informative x 1
    • Funny x 1
  19. brobinson

brobinson Member

SC replaced my entire charge port door when that happened.

20. Garlan Garner

Wow....I'll have to see what they do...

I'll be right back.