Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chip inside Charge Port Door

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just had mine fall out after washing the car. I went to plug the car in and i heard a piece of metal drop. i figured it came from my pocket, and plugged the car in and then got the red "T" and 2 errors on the screen, one said it couldn't charge, and the other said press brake and unplug charger to try again. I unplugged everything, restarted the car and issue persisted. I went back to the charger and found the little piece of metal. I tapped it to the bottom of the charger where it would match up if attached, and everything went Green and the car started charging. I assume the car thought the charger was closed while it was open. Very strange. I guess i'll be picking up some epoxy tonight.

nickpants, not sure that is the same thing - the piece we are talking about is plastic and is attached to the charge port door. When it is missing the charge port works fine, the only thing that doesn't work is the "press the corner of the charge port to open" function - it can still be opened by other means (such as the Tesla app)

nickpants, not sure that is the same thing - the piece we are talking about is plastic and is attached to the charge port door. When it is missing the charge port works fine, the only thing that doesn't work is the "press the corner of the charge port to open" function - it can still be opened by other means (such as the Tesla app)

I think it's the same part, except mine is definitely not plastic, its a very light metal.

if the charge door is open and i tap this piece of metal to the corner of the port it will close the door. I think my car got confused if it was open or closed. it works fine now.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 326
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 248
  • 0.jpg
    0.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 268
Reactions: SMAlset
I think it's the same part, except mine is definitely not plastic, its a very light metal.

if the charge door is open and i tap this piece of metal to the corner of the port it will close the door. I think my car got confused if it was open or closed. it works fine now.
Yep that is definitely it, I was confused about your report that you got an error while charging because of it. I had no problem charging when my piece fell out before I glued it back

Mine fell out about 5000 miles ago. I've had no issues charging at home, super charging, destination charging or even charging with J1772 adapter. Only issue I've found is that I can't tap the door to open it.
I still have the part and will bring it up next time I have enough minor issues to make a service appt.

Yep, the same piece fell off my original charge port door about a week after I got the car, and the one on my replacement charge port door (replaced on "charge port door needs service" message flapping post-first-wash) just fell off a couple days ago. Epoxied it back in, all's well, and I'll be amazed if it ever falls out again.

Mine fell off last week, but I had no idea what it was. I heard it hit the ground at the public charger when the door closed on the adapter while I was replacing the plug at the station. Thankfully I put it in my pocket. This thread, Gorilla glue and a small clamp, and it's as good as new...I hope.