Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Chip Shortage Impacts GM’s Super Cruise Plans

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

A global semiconductor shortage is delaying GM’s Super Cruise self-driving system.

A Cadillac spokesman told CNET that the company has removed the feature from its flagship Escalade SUV. Plans to include the feature in its sedans have been pushed until next year, the report said.

“The semiconductor shortage resulted in us postponing the full launch of Super Cruise in our sedans until model year 2022,” a spokesperson told CNET. “Now, the 2022 CT4s and CT5s will be available with Super Cruise in the first half of next year.”

GM first launched Super Cruise on the Cadillac CT6 and Chevrolet Bolt. The Super Cruise system has been a large initiative for GM and many reviewers have said it performs better than Tesla’s Autopilot system. GM intends to expand the feature across its lineup. GMC Sierra and Chevrolet Silverado pickups are expected to receive Super Cruise next year.

To date, approximately 10 million miles have been driven by customers using Super Cruise across the U.S. and Canada.

Last edited by a moderator:
"The Super Cruise system has been a large initiative for GM and many reviewers have said it performs better than Tesla’s Autopilot system. GM intends to expand the feature across its lineup."

I didnt see those reports from the reviewers.
I saw Sandy Munro review :X
I was snipping that exact comment.

Auto journalists like their relationship with big auto too much to give Tesla props for totally thrashing GM here.

Autopilot Positives - Works damned near everywhere. Super smooth. Handles even fairly tight curves well.
Supercruise Positives - "HANDS FREE!!!!"

Autopilot Negatives - You have to touch the wheel. Also, if you are drunk, in the backseat, or blindfolded, it might smash into things. Struggles at some weird intersections and when the road merged. Also... you have to touch the wheel.
Supercruise Positives - Only available on about 1% of the roads Autpilot is available on.... but "HANDS FREE!!!!"

Did I mention you have to touch the wheel with autopilot? Because every review of Supercruise makes that out as if it is the sole metric by which these systems should be evaluated.

(Some sarcasm was applied during this post, it's an exercise for the reader to figure out where)

Reactions: OrthoSurg
I was snipping that exact comment.

Auto journalists like their relationship with big auto too much to give Tesla props for totally thrashing GM here.

Autopilot Positives - Works damned near everywhere. Super smooth. Handles even fairly tight curves well.
Supercruise Positives - "HANDS FREE!!!!"

Autopilot Negatives - You have to touch the wheel. Also, if you are drunk, in the backseat, or blindfolded, it might smash into things. Struggles at some weird intersections and when the road merged. Also... you have to touch the wheel.
Supercruise Positives - Only available on about 1% of the roads Autpilot is available on.... but "HANDS FREE!!!!"

Did I mention you have to touch the wheel with autopilot? Because every review of Supercruise makes that out as if it is the sole metric by which these systems should be evaluated.

(Some sarcasm was applied during this post, it's an exercise for the reader to figure out where)
There is always a double standard requirement for Tesla.
other car manufacturers can make total trash and people will accept it because they are used to that force feeding of putrid *sugar*.

However, Tesla has to make exceptional revolutionary perfect out of this world tech else they consider Elon to under deliver and blame it for being a megalomaniac billionaire.

people just see their terrible failures in the successes of Musk.

Reactions: EVNow and Ogre
Yeah, largely agree. Frankly it just exposes the hypocrisy of the media in general, in a very stark and direct way. Unless they're making money selling the ads of of the companies whose products they review, they're not going to want to review the products at best, and they'll be biased against them at worst. And it's usually the latter. It annoys the auto media industry that Tesla doesn't play ball and yet consumers buy their vehicles anyway.

Really rather amazing given Tesla doesn't even advertise!

Reactions: hellocar
CRs comparison is a great illustration of honest but deceptive.. if you read the headline it's GM Supercruise beats Teslas system.

If you drill down and read the actual results you find Tesla wins (handily) in actual features and capabilities...

But GM gets much higher scores in things like "driver engagement" and being clear on when it's ok to use it (since it simply won't turn on at all anywhere else).

And enough better in those not-actual-functionality ways to get a higher total score.

Well, isn't that convenient.
Oh it’s real. I have been trying to get an Xbox for a year now. That’s not just hype. They wanted to push millions and millions this Christmas. I almost scalped one I missed for $200 on top of the $549.

I was actually wondering if it will effect sales of EVs as a whole assuming they use plenty more than an ICE car and this chip shortage could last over a year and unfortunately will effect prices.

Oh it’s real. I have been trying to get an Xbox for a year now. That’s not just hype. They wanted to push millions and millions this Christmas. I almost scalped one I missed for $200 on top of the $549.

I was actually wondering if it will effect sales of EVs as a whole assuming they use plenty more than an ICE car and this chip shortage could last over a year and unfortunately will effect prices.
In related news, GM halts production of the Bolt, saying there are not enough parts available to satisfy customer repairs and building new vehicles.

Reactions: 95gator
I’m thinking: by the time GM is actually shipping Super Cruise in any kind of volume, Tesla Autopilot probably won’t require hands on wheel, but will just use cabin camera monitoring.

And it’s interesting how Tesla can ship Autopilot hardware in volume and EVs in volume, but GM can’t ship either. The two companies are in the same world.

I’m thinking: by the time GM is actually shipping Super Cruise in any kind of volume, Tesla Autopilot probably won’t require hands on wheel, but will just use cabin camera monitoring.

And it’s interesting how Tesla can ship Autopilot hardware in volume and EVs in volume, but GM can’t ship either. The two companies are in the same world.
Soon GM is going to transition from not being able to ship Super Cruise to not being able to ship Ultra Cruise. It’s the system they are replacing Super Cruise with. They may never ship Super Cruise again at the current rate.

Reactions: hellocar
Soon GM is going to transition from not being able to ship Super Cruise to not being able to ship Ultra Cruise. It’s the system they are replacing Super Cruise with. They may never ship Super Cruise again at the current rate.
Actually, they are going to keep Super Cruise for Chevy along with Ultra Cruise for higher end vehicles.