Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chip Shortages

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noted the following article Tesla pulled non-critical steering component from some China-built cars to combat chip shortage | TESLARATI where the team has pulled out the redundant chip in the steering rack.

✅ Great work on keeping production rolling ✅

However, "Tesla employees said in internal memos that the steering rack control unit would only be necessary for Level 3 autonomous cars. Tesla vehicles still operate in Level 2, according to SAE standards, and the lack of a second chip was not a safety issue."

So those cars without this 'redundant' chip have little hope for autonomous driving without a further chip installed...? Am I reading into this too much??

Very good point. We've also likely got plenty of time for retrofits to occur before level 3 finds its way down under.

Yeah the summon seemed like a great party trick so FSD was purchased on Day 2. Now I just need to find a party to go to...

I wouldn't be at all surprised if FSD is quietly renamed "Driver assist feature" and when you look back through the Tesla online documentation all references to autonomous driving have mysteriously disappeared.
They are 99% there from the beta videos but that 1% is a very long way away. Did you see Chuck's video of unprotected left turns (Florida) a few days ago? I think one out of seven or eight went without having to be disengaged - in two of them the car actually turned the wrong way!

I wouldn't be at all surprised if FSD is quietly renamed "Driver assist feature" and when you look back through the Tesla online documentation all references to autonomous driving have mysteriously disappeared.
They are 99% there from the beta videos but that 1% is a very long way away. Did you see Chuck's video of unprotected left turns (Florida) a few days ago? I think one out of seven or eight went without having to be disengaged - in two of them the car actually turned the wrong way!
They dont need to rename FSD. It is a marketing term that is well defined in the sales material with accurate descriptions around what it can do. Its just that many buyers are linking FSD to comments being made by Elon about robo taxi and thinking they are the same thing.

They dont need to rename FSD. It is a marketing term that is well defined in the sales material with accurate descriptions around what it can do. Its just that many buyers are linking FSD to comments being made by Elon about robo taxi and thinking they are the same thing.
Paul, I don't think we are on different pages.
The generally accepted levels 4 and 5 are really identical, the only difference being that level 5 has no need for manual controls. Level 5 would be robotaxis so in practice level 4 hard and software are the same except for the obvious need for security and payment systems in 5.
So I submit that Tesla isn't working on two completely different systems, one for 4 and one for 5 except for the above.
So when Musk talks about robotaxis he's effectively including what is generally called his FSD?