Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chipex for scratches!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From trustpilot reviews

by Kevin Cameron 28 January
Excellent Product & Service
I decided to buy this kit to repair a couple of deep paint chips in the bonnet of my car. The colour match of the initial kit I received was not a 100% match, the paint dried slightly lighter than the rest of the car. I contacted Chipex with pictures of the finished job and they immediately apologized for the error, stating the paint is hand mixed therefore errors can occasionally occur. They sent out a replacement kit of a much larger size than the one I originally ordered and the colour match of the replacement kit is very good. I did find the drying time for the paint took much longer than stated on the instructions but I think this is due to the cold temperatures at this time of year. From the experience I had with Chipex their product works well and their customer service team are quick to respond and very helpful. I would definitely recommend them to others and use their products again in the future.

Anyone know what this is like on White?

Horrible...... Presumably on any multicoat too.

The issue would be that it wont blend in with the surrounding coat.

You put on the white layer and unless you have microscopic precision it will overlap the gloss/sparkly layer. Then you apply the gloss layer from chipex and you can clearly see the repair. You kind of end up with a flat patch of white when the rest of the car is multicoat.

This probably only works on flat paint, especially in DIY hands.

Had my bumper resprayed and feathered by a local guy for £250 after getting quotes of £1500 from a Tesla recommended bodyshop.... Considering the Chipex kit cost me £50 plus my time i'd say its not worth it.

So a very kind person opened their door straight into the side of my M3 at the supermarket. Which left a very visible and quite deep ding on my door (including a tiny dent).

Decided to go down the Chipex route (www.chipex.co.uk). I havent had much luck in the past with the DIY paint kits before but the reviews for Chipex look good.

The results are fantastic! If you didn't know it was there I don't think you would see it. My girlfriend actually checked the other side when she couldnt see where the scratch was! There is a tiny dent where it was knocked which is the only give away when the light hits it just right. I have had to take a few photos of the repair just to be able to see where the scratch was.

View attachment 536391 View attachment 536400 View attachment 536401
Same thing happened to me. Noticed white scruff against rear door. Sentry confirmed my worst nightmare. Driver drove off and parked elsewhere. Found car and waited for driver to return. Knew exactly why I was waiting. Exchanged details and told me to claim through insurance.

tempImageZb3KVM.jpg
tempImageezu9JR.jpg

No dents as far as I can tell. Scruff looks like it will buff out. Local repair shop quoted £300 to respray door but no availability until February next year. Spat out my lunch when I received Tesla's estimate. Looks like I will be giving Chipex a go once I've cleaned the car thoroughly.

Same thing happened to me. Noticed white scruff against rear door. Sentry confirmed my worst nightmare. Driver drove off and parked elsewhere. Found car and waited for driver to return. Knew exactly why I was waiting. Exchanged details and told me to claim through insurance.

View attachment 730405View attachment 730406

No dents as far as I can tell. Scruff looks like it will buff out. Local repair shop quoted £300 to respray door but no availability until February next year. Spat out my lunch when I received Tesla's estimate. Looks like I will be giving Chipex a go once I've cleaned the car thoroughly.

HALLOWEEN15% gives you 15% off at the moment.

I used the Chippex on the stone chips on my car...what I found is that as long as the chip is at a slightly lower than the main paint level and you can fill it in, it works pretty good, but if its a slight scratch and not deep enough, then when you do the stage of wipe over it with the cloth and paint cleaner, it wipes all the paint away! That happened about 5 times with a smaller chip, at which point I finally realised why this is happening and I gave up!

Reactions: navt
I used the Chippex on the stone chips on my car...what I found is that as long as the chip is at a slightly lower than the main paint level and you can fill it in, it works pretty good, but if its a slight scratch and not deep enough, then when you do the stage of wipe over it with the cloth and paint cleaner, it wipes all the paint away! That happened about 5 times with a smaller chip, at which point I finally realised why this is happening and I gave up!
I’ve seen that on a few videos. Nothing to lose but time I guess.