Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chipped Glass on Pano

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

tezzla

Supporting Member
Jul 14, 2013
SoCal
I noticed yesterday that I have a huge chip in my pano roof (right at the back edge). It must be from a rock or something? Has anyone ever seen this happen?

It's on the back, trailing edge, just right of center.

Pano1b.jpg

Close up:
Pano2.jpg

It looks like the rear pane of glass is actually two panes, I believe only my top pane is chipped.

Is this next to the the rear tailgate? If so, it looks more like something got trapped between pano and tailgate during closing than a rock chip. Is there any matching damage to the tailgate?

Anyway - ouch! I don't expect it'll affect the integrity of the roof much but I'd get it checked out by Tesla.

Several months ago I had a rock hit the front panel of my pano while on the interstate highway. Caused a spider crack just like you would experience on a front windshield. Fortunately insurance covered the replacement cost. The spot hit by the rock was not as large as the chip in your photo, but the cracks in the glass spread quickly to about 18". Safety glass held up just fine during the week it took for the service center to receive the replacement glass.

Is this next to the the rear tailgate? If so, it looks more like something got trapped between pano and tailgate during closing than a rock chip. Is there any matching damage to the tailgate?

Anyway - ouch! I don't expect it'll affect the integrity of the roof much but I'd get it checked out by Tesla.

Yes, it's against the hatch. I'm guessing the same thing, something between the glass panels when the hatch opened, but, there is no sign of damage on the hatch glass?