Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's the reply I got from Tesla:

"Unfortunately, the cosmetic condition of your paint is not covered under warranty considering it was caused by an outside influence. We also recommend hand washing the vehicle due to the water-based paint. I'll copy a section of your New Vehicle Warranty below where it states this. In order to have it properly rectified, I would recommend visiting a Tesla approved body shop for a quote. I will also attach a link to where you can find the closest Tesla Approved Body Shop below.

"Additional Limitations and Exclusions

In addition to the above exclusions and limitations, this New Vehicle Limited Warranty does NOT

cover:

• Any corrosion or paint defects including, but not limited to, the following:

• Corrosion from defects in non-Tesla manufactured or supplied materials or workmanship

causing perforation (holes) in body panels or the chassis from the inside out;

• Surface or cosmetic corrosion causing perforation in body panels or the chassis from the

outside in, such as stone chips or scratches;

• Corrosion and paint defects caused by, due to, or resulting from accidents, paint

matching, abuse, neglect, improper maintenance or operation of the vehicle, installation of

an accessory, exposure to chemical substances, or damages resulting from an act of God

or nature, fire, or improper storage"

Thank you,

• Disagree
Reactions: Johnii__82
Most in this thread overlooked that OP stated the dirt/dot they were trying to remove was in fact a paint chip. Using a pressure washer on damaged paint will make the damage worse.

OP, call a reputable detailer in your area. They'll have a local body shop they recommend that can repair that.

I actually approached my usual body repair guy and he offered to apply the paint from the TEsla paint kit FOR FREE!

He said he is interested in learning about how Tesla paints their cars.

Hey, unfortunately I’m in the same boat as you. Got a huge paint chip flake off from using a pressure washer. any updates on how the Tesla paint repair kit looked like?

Attachments

• E43E19DC-7829-4B5A-A163-311D0CC7A52C.jpeg
    E43E19DC-7829-4B5A-A163-311D0CC7A52C.jpeg
    195.7 KB · Views: 355
So this happened. I h
Hey, unfortunately I’m in the same boat as you
Pressure cleaners are not a good way to clean your car. Those fascia's are plastic and smooth. The paint is not as well adhered to them as lets say the aluminum. There are chips there and once the water gets under in high pressure, zip it right off.

This is from a touch-less car wash. There one minute gone the next. Its gonna keep traveling also unless I touch it up.
IMG_0390.JPG

Reactions: Akikiki
Yikes you guys!
Yeah, using a P.W. (like any tool) comes with some precautions to prevent damage.
Like the manual says, keep it at least 12" away.
Since I use a PW every single day to detail cars I would also add...
* to ensure the pressure isn't too high to use on a car, can you safely hold your hand in the jet stream 12" away from the tip? If not, it's too strong. I use a 900psi PW and that's plenty.
* remember that a PW is best used to clean wheels and door jambs; for your exterior paint it's should only be used as a glorified hose to quickly rinse, not actually clean the surface.

Reactions: tracksyde and 03DSG
Yikes you guys!
Yeah, using a P.W. (like any tool) comes with some precautions to prevent damage.
Like the manual says, keep it at least 12" away.
Since I use a PW every single day to detail cars I would also add...
* to ensure the pressure isn't too high to use on a car, can you safely hold your hand in the jet stream 12" away from the tip? If not, it's too strong. I use a 900psi PW and that's plenty.
* remember that a PW is best used to clean wheels and door jambs; for your exterior paint it's should only be used as a glorified hose to quickly rinse, not actually clean the surface.

You should look into Optimum no rinse. Using pressure washers is so last century.

I gotta say, I was missing out not using a pressure washer to get off brake dust (mostly on my other car) and the first layer of dirt/dust before I touch the car with a mitt. Also to use with a foam cannon.

If you use them correctly/carefully, they're awesome.

Foam cannons are marketing gimmicks.
There's literally no reason to use a pressure washer these days washing cars.

100% disagree.
Cool.
Any pro detailer that's not a hack job knows.

Suds don't clean anything, they're air mixed in with soap and actually make the soap less effective. They are literally used for show. Customers expect to see suds, so foam cannons make lots of suds. Detailers buy them because they provide the show that customers want to see, pros don't use them.

• Disagree
Reactions: Stirthepot
Cool.
Any pro detailer that's not a hack job knows.

Suds don't clean anything, they're air mixed in with soap and actually make the soap less effective. They are literally used for show. Customers expect to see suds, so foam cannons make lots of suds. Detailers buy them because they provide the show that customers want to see, pros don't use them.
Right, because soap on the car before you touch a mitt to the paint does nothing.

Also high pressure water to rinse off brake dust and dirt/grime off the car before you touch the paint with a mitt does nothing.

*rolls eyes*

Reactions: Stirthepot
Right, because soap on the car before you touch a mitt to the paint does nothing.

Also high pressure water to rinse off brake dust and dirt/grime off the car before you touch the paint with a mitt does nothing.

*rolls eyes*

110% Agree. its all about loosening the grime and the extra lubrication. But, not everyone sees or minds the swirls. I do, which is why i use a pressure washer, foam cannon and do a two bucket wash

Reactions: TyH2009
Imagine that the stone chipped the paint and perhaps cracked the area around the chip.

Getting a high pressure water jet probably got underneath the paint and pealed it off where the chip got it started.

Model 3s are painted in a multi million dollar, high tech paint booth. Problem is that it needs to be water based and low VOC to get the approval from California. All the american manufacturers struggle to get the quality paint they want, but are under the thumb of their regulators.

Glad OP is getting his damage fixed for free from his friendly neighborhood paint and body shop.

The paint hardness and quality on my X is far better than on the Jeep Grand Cherokee it replaced.

*rolls eyes*
Foam isn't soap. It's air.
Water is a poor lubricant. Unless you're talking about caked on mud there's no need to pre rinse a car any more with modern soaps.
If you are talking about mud, the damage is already done.