Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Foam isn't soap. It's air.
Water is a poor lubricant. Unless you're talking about caked on mud there's no need to pre rinse a car any more with modern soaps.
If you are talking about mud, the damage is already done.
There is soap in foam... you can't just spray water with a foam cannon and get foam. Why is it I can foam the car, take my fingers, scoop off foam, and it's slick, oh yea BECAUSE THERE'S SOAP. It's a lubricant.

So this happened. I have been cleaning my car with a pressure washer and soap at least 5 times now.

Today I was trying to get a small dot dirt on the car and then caused this..
View attachment 394399 View attachment 394400
Whta do I do?

I was using a tip specially for delicate items like cars (like it says in the instructions use for cars)

I'm super bummed.

Help? Will tesla fix this? This is not supposed to happen washing the car. View attachment 394399 View attachment 394400

Unfortunately you are not alone. Model 3 seems to have a really easily wearing paint, at least some of the batches from the past year or so.

Model 3 paint wearing off

For example this recent tweet:

GrumpyFrame on Twitter

So far Tesla has been reluctant to do anything about these instead saying it is standard wear.

• Informative
Reactions: Johnii__82
I set up an appointment with the Tesla service center and was quoted $1200 for a complete fascia replacement.

I reached out to CarBodyLab here in San Diego and was quoted $445 for them to "paint the whole panel regardless of size of chip for the color to match and blend properly. The technician will sand down the surface on the damaged panel, apply primer, paint, and clear coat"

It seems like they have really good reviews, but I'm worried to repaint the entire front bumper with an unknown style of paint... Unsure whether I should just buy a paint touch up kit and live with it.. Thoughts? Would you guys go with the Tesla service center or a 3rd party company?

You should look into Optimum no rinse. Using pressure washers is so last century.
I use ONR every single day and buy it by the gallons.
Since I am a pro detailer I use the PW to clean nasty intricate wheels, loosen muddy vehicles, steam clean oil-leaking engines and undercarriages, etc. I can also rinse off a vehicle much faster and use less water than a garden hose when needed. ONR is not touching any of that stuff.

Foam cannons are marketing gimmicks.
I agree about the foam cannon. Totally marketing.
For a regular wash (assuming nothing nasty like mud or heavy debris) just pre-spraying with ONR will do the lubricating and pre-moistening job. The problem with ONR is, it's not flashy and colorful and unique... it just quietly and effectively gets the job done.

Reactions: ry-ballz
You should look into Optimum no rinse. Using pressure washers is so last century.

I use ONR every single day and buy it by the gallons.
Since I am a pro detailer I use the PW to clean nasty intricate wheels, loosen muddy vehicles, steam clean oil-leaking engines and undercarriages, etc. I can also rinse off a vehicle much faster and use less water than a garden hose when needed. ONR is not touching any of that stuff.
Whoa whoa whoa, Pressure washers are so last century, you're telling me you use them?!?!?

Haha...

I set up an appointment with the Tesla service center and was quoted $1200 for a complete fascia replacement.

I reached out to CarBodyLab here in San Diego and was quoted $445 for them to "paint the whole panel regardless of size of chip for the color to match and blend properly. The technician will sand down the surface on the damaged panel, apply primer, paint, and clear coat"

It seems like they have really good reviews, but I'm worried to repaint the entire front bumper with an unknown style of paint... Unsure whether I should just buy a paint touch up kit and live with it.. Thoughts? Would you guys go with the Tesla service center or a 3rd party company?

I'd never trust Tesla to touch any aspect of the paint on your car.

I still use the 2 bucket method, but why would you not lubricate the surface before you touch a mitt to it?

You're in Colorado and know about salt and road grime, I would never touch anything to my car dry or without something on the surface.

Colorado doesn't use much salt at all, and the 2 bucket method is redundant and not needed for normal washing.
I'm not touching anything dry either. A lubricated sponge or wash mitt is plenty for nearly everything on the paint. If it can't be tackled with that, it's already damaged your paint when it got there.

I still use the 2 bucket method, but why would you not lubricate the surface before you touch a mitt to it?

You're in Colorado and know about salt and road grime, I would never touch anything to my car dry or without something on the surface.

I still use the 1 bucket method.

NEVER use a power washer on a car. Bad bad bad. To easy to get to close. And if your using a lower pressure nozzle, what's the point of dragging it out.

• Disagree
Reactions: Stirthepot
You're wasting your time and money, but you do you bo

lets see some close up shots of your car, lets see if its swirl free or not. i know mine is. and i am a detailer, have many friends in the business and simply put. you're wrong. a foam gun is soap and air. adding extra lubrication and surfactants is 100% worth it.

you wont get another response from me, because i won't waste my time. good luck with your swirls.

IMG_0788.jpeg

Reactions: XLR82XS and TyH2009
lets see some close up shots of your car, lets see if its swirl free or not. i know mine is. and i am a detailer, have many friends in the business and simply put. you're wrong. a foam gun is soap and air. adding extra lubrication and surfactants is 100% worth it.

you wont get another response from me, because i won't waste my time. good luck with your swirls.

View attachment 466475

Asks for close up shot for proof. Posts shot from 7 feet away on a cloudy day.

• Funny
Reactions: JasontheBeaver
Colorado doesn't use much salt at all, and the 2 bucket method is redundant and not needed for normal washing.
I'm not touching anything dry either. A lubricated sponge or wash mitt is plenty for nearly everything on the paint. If it can't be tackled with that, it's already damaged your paint when it got there.
You’re not even worth responding to anymore.

So this happened. I have been cleaning my car with a pressure washer and soap at least 5 times now.

Whta do I do?

I was using a tip specially for delicate items like cars (like it says in the instructions use for cars)

I'm super bummed.

Help? Will tesla fix this? This is not supposed to happen washing the car. View attachment 394399 View attachment 394400

You could touch it up and ceramic coat the car. Washing becomes much easier when it's coated. You can gently spray on some cleaner using a pump bug sprayer and wipe it of. Your car will still scratch and chip from touching it, rocks, etc...

If you want to prevent scratches and chips from day to day use then you can PPF the car. It's expensive and that spot will show unless maybe you do a stealth (I haven't tried that).

I started ceramic. Then went full front PPF and now I'm probably going to just PPF the whole car. The paint on these cars is hyper sensitive and won't last.

Whta do I do?

I'm super bummed.

This same issue is happening now in: portugal, sweden, germany, france and usa.

This is because bad paint defect on factory. I suggest that you will come to see our global group.

Tesla Model 3 owners worldwide with paint issues

upload_2019-10-16_20-26-2.png

See my collections of tesla paint issues.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=alNDUmRmb0plb3hMOHZSU0wtaHBYbUV1RWloZmx3

See our global complaint:

Consumer advocacy service

See sources:

Finnish Goods Inspection Finds Tesla Model 3 Paint Is Soft And Thin
Impressed By The Finnish Tesla Model 3 Paint Problems? Hold My Beer
The all new Tesla Model R...ecall?

upload_2019-10-16_20-25-15.png

upload_2019-10-16_20-25-34.png

See my car after 10.000 km.

• Informative
Reactions: JasontheBeaver