Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chips Away for minor repair on multicoat red?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've got a scratch on the middle of my bonnet, it only small but looks like it could be through the paintwork to the metal. It was caused by a truck on the motorway that was depositing plasterboard or similar material that started bouncing down the carriageway. As I moved to the far right lane to overtake, he decided to move to the middle lane and accelerate too! Unfortunately, I forgot that Tesla has dashcam so didn't hit the save button.

The car is multicoat red. Is this type of damage fixable by this type of minor repair services such as ChipsAway? Does anyone have experience of how good there matching is? Middle of the bonnet is probably the most visible place for any colour matching.

ChipsAway fixed a scrape on my pearlescent white Prius. When the chap had finished the repair was invisible, not even a trace of where the scrape had been, even when knowing where to look. The same chap repaired a ding on my wife's metallic silver Yaris, to the same high standard.

It's been reported on here before that the quality of the workmanship is very dependent on the local franchise holder though, so they may not be consistently good across the whole country.

Chipsaway did a perfect job on my MSM. The dent was down to the primer and when they were finished I couldn’t tell where the damage had been.

They use a machine that analyses the paint to mix a replacement.

For under £300 inc vat I was very happy. Tesla quote was over £800

ChipsAway is a franchise so you can't infer anything from one person's good or bad experience. I had a small bumper scuff repaired by a local ChipsAway guy but 9 months later it started to bubble. Endless calls and mails failed to get any response. FYI he's Steve Hancock based in Kenilworth. I'd avoid him for sure :)

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel
Like any operations it comes down to the individual you get on the day & what training & experience they’ve had. You could say the same about any branch of any chain. We’ve all been to places where on different days with different staff members you have good & bad experiences. ChipsAway franchisees are at least forced to attend HQ for training.

One of my local paint shops did some p poor work on a car of mine. Car went back 3 times and each time the guy took twice as long as agreed. Full spray booth setup. I’d never use them again.

• Informative
Reactions: ringi
I got an automated email after my repair. The engineer said to ignore it as he didn’t disturb the ultrasonic sensors. Was quite a few months ago though.

7DEC901A-41DF-4320-81C4-FB9907D313D1.jpeg

I guess the ADAS issue would apply to all paint shops. Good to know auto-windscreens can do it.

Power down procedure seems a different issue though.

The only sensors in/around the bodywork are the ultrasonic sensors (same as on virtually every car made in the last decade or so) and the forward looking radar (just above the front numberplate, on the centreline). If the area being repaired is away from the radar, then there's no issue at all. Even if it's in front of the radar it shouldn't need any recalibration, and if the same paint is used there should be no difference in the performance of the radar.

The windscreen is slightly different, as the two forward looking cameras look through it, but they are self-calibrating, I believe, just need the car to be driven for a few miles whilst they calibrate, much the same as when the car is collected from new.

I'm having trouble finding someone who can do a SMART repair. One bodyshop/smart repair center said because of location in centre of bonnet they would need to respray entire panel. A Tesla body shop said because it is multi-coat red they would need to spray the entire panel and can't SMART repair.

It seems pretty crazy for such a small scratch. How on earth do stone chips get repaired! I saw a detailer touchup and finish stone chips on a Ferrari bonnet that weren't visible to anyone but a pro with a bodyshop lighting. I find it hard to beleive this isn't more easily fixable. I know people don't raver about Tesla paintwork, but I don't like the idea of respraying a full panel for such minor damage.

Attachments

• tesla1.jpg
    tesla1.jpg
    702.1 KB · Views: 163
I have a multi coat red M3LR and have had numerous little stone chips and marks, a few that were quite deep. I tried various touch up paints, the one that worked best for me was this one from ebay www.ebay.co.uk/i/192924774088
I find it works best with just using the lacquer top coat, not the base coat. The lacquer they provide is tinted red and matches perfectly.
I use metallic / pearlescent T cut to lightly buff back the new touch up once it's dry.... don't buff too hard at it or the adjacent original top coat will start to discolour to a purple shade.
Hope you have success with it, I did.

I'm having trouble finding someone who can do a SMART repair. One bodyshop/smart repair center said because of location in centre of bonnet they would need to respray entire panel. A Tesla body shop said because it is multi-coat red they would need to spray the entire panel and can't SMART repair.

It seems pretty crazy for such a small scratch. How on earth do stone chips get repaired! I saw a detailer touchup and finish stone chips on a Ferrari bonnet that weren't visible to anyone but a pro with a bodyshop lighting. I find it hard to beleive this isn't more easily fixable. I know people don't raver about Tesla paintwork, but I don't like the idea of respraying a full panel for such minor damage.

You wont find anyone doing professional SMART repairs on a bonnet/roof's the process is not designed for large panel repairs, let alone a 3 stage pearlescent Red (multiple layers of different paint, interacting with each other), and lets get one thing clear touch-ups do not repair the damage they only camouflage it which is a lot easier to achieve with a "Fiat" flat Red found on a lot of Ferrari's.

Rant time......Why do people always think there car Manufactures paint is bad on multiple car owners forums that I've been party too, answer because the people that sell PPF and various coatings etc to them have planted the seed of doubt in there minds.
All unprotected Automotive paint will chip if hit by a sharp object , Tesla paint is no worse in that respect than any other car manufacture, fact, what could be better is the quality of finish leaving the factory.

My turn for a scrape.
morrisons car park, a man in his 80’s I would guess. Parked next to me, backed out not far enough and scraped me on his way past.
I was just getting in the car when he did it. He was almost in tears.
I think a lot will polish out.
Is Chips Away the right approach?

EDIT
Just sought from chips away but there’s no cover in my area near Norwich
any other nationals come to mind?
4601D99C-82F8-43EF-B96C-D02A716769C9.jpeg
FD8E77BE-5CBA-428D-BBFF-9D9845EB646A.jpeg

Last edited: