Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chirping/tweeting From Front Passenger Dash

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would say about 3 weeks ago, I have been getting constant chirping at speeds starting at 70km/hr (~40mph) and up to highway speed.
The sound is heard from the front passenger dash.

I searched around and have had no real success in solving the issue - any direction would be appreciated (Am planning a 3rd trip to the the service center)
*not coming from the blower fan - the sound persists whether it is on or off.

I have a brand new Model 3 (less than 2k miles) that's chirping in the same place/way.

Tried to do a bit of diagnosis, thought it might be the glove box, so tried opening it and driving with it that way and it didn't make a difference.

The chirping sound is worst when going over 45-50 mph and if I go over a bump. However, it's kind of intermittent, sometimes it happens, and sometimes not at all.

Has anyone found a solution for this? I love this car, it's utterly brilliant, but this chirping sound is really annoying.

Download a frequency sound sweep app. Connect your phone to car bluetooth. Turn up speakers and slowly dial up the frequency to see if you can find the frequency point where this sound occurs. No guarantee this will work but worth a shot. Works well for random hard to duplicate rattling in panels.

My experience is that it's difficult to know where the sound is coming from. I had a chirp that I thought was from the driver foot well. It was from the trunk.

I assume you've taken all stuff out of the car and tested. I had a rattle that turned out to be from the garage door opened on the visor.

Yep. It's definitely the passenger-side sun visor.

Specifically the little bar that clips against the plastic bit. I've been driving with the visor against the passenger side window for a couple of days and haven't had any chirps.

Thinking I may just tie a piece of fabric around the visor bar and see if that fixes it.

Might want to check if the front of the headliner is fully clipped into the roof. Had the same problem on my previous MY that appeared to be the passenger visor clip, but was actually due to poor factory headliner assembly.

If you wrap your fingers over the front edge of the headliner, there should be no gap between the headliner and the metal roof.

Reactions: Maxim_9
Might want to check if the front of the headliner is fully clipped into the roof. Had the same problem on my previous MY that appeared to be the passenger visor clip, but was actually due to poor factory headliner assembly.

If you wrap your fingers over the front edge of the headliner, there should be no gap between the headliner and the metal roof.

So I did the test where I wrapped my fingers around the front edge of the headliner, and you were absolutely right. There's a gap between the headliner and window, and near the center, it's big enough that I can easily slide a couple of fingers into the gap.

Have taken it back to the Tesla show room, and they were able to fix it while I waited. Hopefully that'll fix the issue!

Last edited: