Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Choose an Older CPO P85D or Newer 90D?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
CPO is under warranty as well. P85D is much faster, and about the same battery - the 90 had some early degradation issues. 90 will start with more (85 was really more like a P77D) but the 90 will degrade more initially to close the gap, and supercharging speed caps were an issue with them too. if it's a later 90 battery though, those are better. There's a big thread that goes through which battery numbers are the good ones.

The P85D is SO much more fun to drive than 90D since it has a LOT more power from the much larger rear motor. Also the early v1 90kWh batteries had degradation issues essentially making them about the Same as the rock solid 85kWh batteries. Be sure you know what 90kWh battery you’d be getting before you buy. IMHO the only advantage of 90D is future potential of Autopilot 2.0 not the battery size.

Also almost all P85D’s built before May 1st 2015 have the sportier “Plus Suspension” which I love but others find rough. Be sure to know the suspension you’re buying... and suggest you drive a “Plus” and “standard suspension before deciding which one you want. In addition, some P85D’s came with both sportier front AND rear NexGen (Racaro) seats.

Finally, a small percentage of original P85D owners like me upgraded our P85D’s From Insane to Ludicrous which adds a significant amount of power above 30 mph... and drops 0.3 seconds off the 0 to 60 mph time (that’s LOT). I LOVE this upgrade but it is fairly hard to find a P85D with Ludicrous. Unfortunately Tesla discontinued the P85D Ludicrous upgrade and NONE of the many Tesla CPO P85D’s had Ludicrous when I checked Monday.

If you can find a P85D with NextGen F&R (Ricardo) seats, the Plus Suspension, AND Ludicrous BUY IT. They’re rare and WAY to much fun to drive! :D

I assume the plus suspension is not the same as "air suspension"

right. The plus suspension required the air suspension as well (though there are a tiny few plus cars on springs) but is an addition to and not a part of the air ride. It's thicker sway bars etc, and in my opinion is a reason to go with the P85D all by itself. tesla really should bring back the better suspension as an option, the P100D could use it.

I got a CPO P85D this week and the car is a blast to drive :) been driving mostly sports car in the past.

Congrats! Hopefully yours came with the Plus Suspension too! :D ( + bought from eBay seller listing a P85+ emblem)

P85D+ emblem.jpg

I couldn't find the plus emblem when I looked on eBay... Do you have a link??

Thanks!

There wasn't a Plus emblem. I just searched eBay for "P85+" and contacted the sellers of those emblems and got one (Josue Davalos) to just sell me the + for $18.00... which enabled him to sell the P85 emblem separately. WIN-WIN

Unfortunately there aren't any on eBay now so just Save your search and have it notify you if a new listing matches. That's how I found mine.

I did try to get our Tesla SC to sell me the + but they refused since I didn't own a P85+. You could also try Tesla salvage yards and post a WTB here on TMC.

Good luck!