Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Choose between 2015 Model S 85D Higher mileage vs low mileage 2015 Model S 90D.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

I am planning to finally bite the bullet and buy a used 2015 (or possibly later, budget constrained) Model S. I really need some expert advice on the dilemma that I end up seeing. For example, I saw a high mileage 2015 Model S 85D (with FSUC) vs a low mileage 2015 Model S 90D (no FSUC) with similar features, albeit a little higher price (may be 6K+). So what is more advisable, get the cheaper higher mileage (100K+) 2015 Model S 85D with FUSC or pay up a little more now and get a low mileage 2015 Model S 90D (maybe 60K lesser miles, no FUSC)?

Also I see some concerns about early build MS 90D batteries degrading quicker. What is defined "early"? Is late 2015 considered early? Any and all advise will be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Thanks. So is battery failure such a common thing on older model S's? I thought you could expect these cars to drive 200K miles before the battery gives up the ghost. If battery failure is a rarity, I am willing to take a chance with the older model S's (and then maybe lesser driven miles makes more sense) so that way I can leverage the car for the foreseeable future (I tend to keep cars for long). On the contrary if battery failure is more common after the battery warranty has expired, then probably go with a car with the "newer" battery replacement.
Rule of thumb based on 057 Tech, a well known Tesla shop here in the forums, If the last digits of the VIN number are less than 70,000, you are at a higher risk of battery failure. After 70,000 Tesla made changes to the protection case around the battery packs which caused water intrusion and corrosion of older Tesla's. The newer case appears to be much more robust in preventing water intrusion.

Upvote 0
Rule of thumb based on 057 Tech, a well known Tesla shop here in the forums, If the last digits of the VIN number are less than 70,000, you are at a higher risk of battery failure. After 70,000 Tesla made changes to the protection case around the battery packs which caused water intrusion and corrosion of older Tesla's. The newer case appears to be much more robust in preventing water intrusion.
Thanks for pointing that out, I read it over here. Avoiding older than 2015 and VIN < 70K.

Reactions: jmcdono362
Upvote 0
I own a 2014 December build. We've got 269,000 mi on it, original battery, third drive unit. It's the large drive unit, and the last one was put in under warranty at about 75k miles. No problems at all with it.

I've owned lots of cars, rarely buy new ones because I don't want that instant depreciation. The cost to operate this tesla, we bought it with 38k miles, has definitely been less than some of the Mercedes I've owned. And, I really, really, like driving this car!

I also did pay for the warranty from 057tech. Jason has been doing this for a lot of years, and definitely knows what he is doing. I live in Oklahoma now, so we'll have to ship it to him if the battery does die. Still, I thought it worth it.

Upvote 0
I own a 2014 December build. We've got 269,000 mi on it, original battery, third drive unit. It's the large drive unit, and the last one was put in under warranty at about 75k miles. No problems at all with it.

I've owned lots of cars, rarely buy new ones because I don't want that instant depreciation. The cost to operate this tesla, we bought it with 38k miles, has definitely been less than some of the Mercedes I've owned. And, I really, really, like driving this car!

I also did pay for the warranty from 057tech. Jason has been doing this for a lot of years, and definitely knows what he is doing. I live in Oklahoma now, so we'll have to ship it to him if the battery does die. Still, I thought it worth it.
Just out of curiousity, is you vin higher than 70k ?

Upvote 0