Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Choosing a cheaper electricity supplier - things to watch for.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

timk225

Mar 24, 2016
Pittsburgh
I'm in PA, which from what I read is deregulated for power providers, and currently have Duquesne Light, which has always been good. My "price to compare" is 7.07 cents per KW, but with the transmission and distribution charges added in, it is effectively 14.8 cents per KW.

This past month I went through 2300 kilowatts, between Tesla charging, crypto coin mining, and other general household use.

So I was on the Duquesne Light website, and found the list of almost 150 electricity providers I can choose from. Their "price to compare" takes care of my 7.07 cents part of the bill, but the transmission and distribution charges of about 7.73 cents per kilowatt don't change.

Most are around the same price as Duquesne, some a little higher and some a little lower, but a few are really low, like zero to 3.5 cents per KW. And even though their information says "no sign up fee" or "no monthly fee" and such things, I can't help but think they are getting me somewhere if I sign up with them.

Some cancellation fees from as low as $10 per month remaining on my deal to as much as $150 if I cancel. Well if their rates are such the great deal as they make it seem, why would cancelling ever be an issue?

One place told me I'd have a flat rate of $49.99 per month, which works out to 2.1 cents per kilowatt for a 2300 kilowatt month, then add the 7.73 cents supply / distribution from Duquesne light, making an effective rate around 9.8 cents.

Has anyone else ever done any shopping for better power rates and found their "gotcha" in the terms and conditions?

There are many options for suppliers, and yes, it's buyer beware. If you are not planning on moving, the cancellation is a non issue. The supplier contracts are easier to manage (on their end) if you are committed. Sounds like the flat rate is they way to go, but get the full TOS and read (do not listen to the sales folks), might have a cap or some other gotcha.

I wish my rates were that low...

My supplier gives free EV charging on weekends (just the supplier portion) using our changepoint home. We are adding solar that will cover all our usage with a surplus most months. Called the electric supplier and told them, they said good for me. I'll get a quarterly check for the usage (same as now), except have no usage (EV usage is reported by the charge point charger)... (on top of 1:1 net metering + we get paid $0.09/kww as an energy producer)

I'm in PA, which from what I read is deregulated for power providers, and currently have Duquesne Light, which has always been good. My "price to compare" is 7.07 cents per KW, but with the transmission and distribution charges added in, it is effectively 14.8 cents per KW.

This past month I went through 2300 kilowatts, between Tesla charging, crypto coin mining, and other general household use.

So I was on the Duquesne Light website, and found the list of almost 150 electricity providers I can choose from. Their "price to compare" takes care of my 7.07 cents part of the bill, but the transmission and distribution charges of about 7.73 cents per kilowatt don't change.

Most are around the same price as Duquesne, some a little higher and some a little lower, but a few are really low, like zero to 3.5 cents per KW. And even though their information says "no sign up fee" or "no monthly fee" and such things, I can't help but think they are getting me somewhere if I sign up with them.

Some cancellation fees from as low as $10 per month remaining on my deal to as much as $150 if I cancel. Well if their rates are such the great deal as they make it seem, why would cancelling ever be an issue?

One place told me I'd have a flat rate of $49.99 per month, which works out to 2.1 cents per kilowatt for a 2300 kilowatt month, then add the 7.73 cents supply / distribution from Duquesne light, making an effective rate around 9.8 cents.

Has anyone else ever done any shopping for better power rates and found their "gotcha" in the terms and conditions?

Have you tried WattBuy (www.wattbuy.com)? They provide information on electricity rate plans based on your location and usage. Objective data since they're not tied to any particular supplier.