Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Choosing A Tesla Home-charging Option

Which home-charging option do you plan to or already use?

• Tesla Gen 2 (or 1) Mobile Connector (that came with car)

Votes: 23 36.5%
  • Dedicated Tesla Gen 2 (or 1) Mobile Connector (a 2nd one you purchased just for home use)

Votes: 5 7.9%
  • Tesla Corded Mobile Connector

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tesla NEMA 14-50 Wall Connector

Votes: 8 12.7%
  • Tesla Gen 3 Wall Connector (i.e., the latest model)

Votes: 17 27.0%
  • Tesla Gen 2 (or 1) High Power Wall Connector

Votes: 19 30.2%

• Total voters

tps5352

Supporting Member
Oct 30, 2019
Bay-Delta Region, California, USA
Nice graphic!
There's more than 120V option.

Thank you, Bruce.

That's right. There are two Tesla Gen 2 120-volt adapter-plugs, and six Gen 2 240-adapter-plugs, right? There is often so much focus on the slowest (5-15) and fastest (14-50 and maybe the 6-50) adapters, that we overlook the others. I have seen at least three additional aftermarket Gen 2 adapter plugs, also. Meanwhile, to its credit Tesla continues to offer two Gen 1 120-volt adapter-plugs, and four Gen 1 240-adapter-plugs.

Why so many different types of Tesla USA plug adapters? First, because United States buildings have been constructed with a bewildering variety of different 120- and 240-volt electrical outlets, each with their advocates and devotees. Second, because it may be an historic remnant of the "early days" of Tesla, before the supercharger and fast DC charger networks grew so large, when Tesla wanted to help alleviate charge paranoia and attract as many customers as possible by providing homes and businesses with pre-existing outlet types on garage walls the claimed means to keep electric cars operating (at first with UMCs and after 2017 with Gen 2 MCs). These days most new, better informed car buyers are probably being steered mostly towards hard-wired wall connectors or perhaps NEMA 14-50 receptacles. Up until a few years ago, new Teslas came with both 5-15 and 14-50 adapters. I'm sure you remember that.

I'll see about modifying the chart to perhaps somewhat better recognize other Tesla NEMA adapters. (I need to improve the resolution, anyway.)

The poll might be a teensy bit more complete if you added an option for non-Tesla charging equipment.

True. But I am going to respectfully punt on that one. I have no hands-on experience with non-Tesla, aftermarket charge equipment. There are more than a few domestic and overseas sources; I would hesitate to try to keep up with new product introductions, successes, and failures; and I couldn't always vouch for quality. Most (but not all) Tesla charging equipment I can personally vouch for. Its relatively small number of product designs seem relatively stable, well-made, of good quality, and often well-documented. Although it can seem initially overwhelming, what the chart suggests is that today's Tesla customer has a relatively small, clear-cut number of charging options from which to choose.

It was not my intention with the chart to get into the review, evaluation, and recommendation from among all products. Instead, the goal was to provide a logical blue-print for step-by-step decision-making from among the limited numbers of Tesla charging products.

Comments like these are helpful and have already given me ideas for a different approach to home-charging decision-making.

pb2000

Dec 22, 2019
Calgary
Why so many different types of Tesla USA plug adapters? First, because United States buildings have been constructed with a bewildering variety of different 120- and 240-volt electrical outlets, each with their advocates and devotees.
NEMA 14 series is just a modern grounded version of NEMA 10 (no longer permitted, but still in the wild). Everything else if just follow the series and match breaker amperage to the plug
NEMA 5 - 120V (LNG) - Typical household plugs
NEMA 6 - 240V (LLG) - Hotel/Home through the wall air conditioners, welders, shop tools
NEMA 10 (depreciated) - 120/240V (LLN) - Dryers, ovens
NEMA 14 - 120/240V (LLNG) - Dryers, ovens, RV/boat shore power

240V only countries are a lot simpler due to only one voltage, but a lot of their electrical code/work looks a bit dodgy in my opinion (especially the UK).

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H and tps5352

tps5352

Supporting Member
Oct 30, 2019
I got a Clipper Creek 240V 40A charger for free and put a Tesla adapter on it.

Tell us a little about that, would you?
  • Is it a mobile connector or a wall connector?
  • If a wall connector, is it hardwired, or does it plug into an outlet?
  • How long is the charging cable?
  • Does your Tesla provide the same charging information on the screen during charging?
  • Do you charge other brands of electric cars, or just the Tesla?
  • Any issues?
  • How can all of us get a free wall connector? (Ha, ha.)
Thanks. I'll take a look at the CC website. I think I remember that the three CC founders initially made home charging equipment for the General Motors EV1 in the 1990s, is that right?

tps5352

Supporting Member
Oct 30, 2019

You are in Alberta, correct? Please excuse my ignorance. Are home electrical devices pretty much the same in Canada as they are in the USA?* I've only seen a couple of movies about the North American electricity wars involving Edison, Westinghouse, and Tesla. But I don't know the history of electrical development in other countries.
_____
* Just Googled. So we are both on 120-volt standards, I guess.

MD-2000

May 1, 2019
Winnipeg
Interesting. That is the first I've heard of trouble with the Tesla 14-50 Wall Connector. Did you have to return the 14-50 Wall Connector to Tesla, or were you able to dissect it to investigate exactly where the problem was (e.g., short; wiring too small, etc.)? Good job making your new Gen2 Wall Connector work with your existing Hubbell NEMA 14-50 receptacle and 50a circuit! (I did something similar with my Gen 2 Wall Connector, to also plug it in to an exisitng Hubbell 14-50 outlet.) A maximum of 40a, or even 32a or less, should be fine for overnight charging, we're told.
The cable with the 14-50 plug -which is what overheated - is all sealed molded plastic, so not really dissection friendly. I wasn't going to open the wall unit, and since eventually it was warranty replaced, good thing I didn't. Tesla stopped making/selling the units with the 14-50 plug so I assume whatever was happening was an ongoing problem. I contacted Service, and between California tech support and the local service guy, they advised me to run tests with the wall unit and then with the portable charger (which did not overheat). They concluded my wall charger had the problem, and since they no longer sold the plug-in chargers, I got a warranty replacement Gen2 Wall charger. (The Gen3 set the max current by WiFi, but this Gen2 has a rotary switch inside to set max current - I've set 40A.) Note the prices were about the same, so I'm not really gaining or losing anything. I dismounted and wrapped the old unit, the Service Tech guy made the exchange dropping off the replacement.

• Informative
Reactions: mrau and tps5352

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC