Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Choosing A Tesla Home-charging Option

Which home-charging option do you plan to or already use?

• Tesla Gen 2 (or 1) Mobile Connector (that came with car)

Votes: 48 35.3%
  • Dedicated Tesla Gen 2 (or 1) Mobile Connector (a 2nd one you purchased just for home use)

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • Tesla Corded Mobile Connector

Votes: 4 2.9%
  • Tesla NEMA 14-50 Wall Connector

Votes: 22 16.2%
  • Tesla Gen 3 Wall Connector (i.e., the latest model)

Votes: 48 35.3%
  • Tesla Gen 2 (or 1) High Power Wall Connector

Votes: 22 16.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We use ChargePoint Home Flex 50a … it is ultra portable.

Good job. Tesla had a plug-in wall connector for a year (~2019) but I guess it didn’t sell. Some people turn their hard-wired Tesla (Gen 2; maybe Hen 3?) wall connector into a plug-in. I did that. The 40-amp maximum on a NEMA 14-50 receptacle is more than adequate for overnight charging (Model X). In fact, I have car set for 32amps max.

I do notice that the better aftermarket wall connectors are no cheaper than the Tesla model ($500); often more.

...Tesla (Gen 2; maybe Hen 3?) wall connector...

There is also a "Rooster 3" connector, but in this case I meant the Generation 3 device.

Also, I updated Post #1 with a Note 7 about the Tesla Gen 2 J1772 Wall Connector, now for sale on the Tesla Charging website.

Chicken on Wall.jpg

Be aware of recent (as of 4/28/22) lowered prices on Tesla charging equipment:
  • Gen 3 Wall Connector is now $400.
  • Gen 2 Mobile Connector bundle (connector, NEMA 5-15 and 14-50 plug-adapters, case) is now just $200 (was $315).
  • Corded Mobile Connector (w/permanent NEMA 14-50 plug) is now (only) $200.
Sadly, the Gen 2 Mobile Connector bundle is no longer included at no extra charge with new cars. Also, the two mobile connectors remain "out of stock" for the time being.

Lastly, note a previous price reduction on the Tesla website down to $50 for the SAE J1772 Charging Adapter. However, this adapter is, I believe, still included with new car delivery.

Last edited:
Be aware of recent (as of 4/28/22) lowered prices on Tesla charging equipment:
  • Gen 3 Wall Connector is now $400.
  • Gen 2 Mobile Connector bundle (connector, NEMA 5-15 and 14-50 plug-adapters, case) is now just $200 (was $315).
  • Corded Mobile Connector (w/permanent NEMA 14-50 plug) is now (only) $200.
Sadly, the Gen 2 Mobile Connector bundle is no longer included at no extra charge with new cars. Also, the two mobile connectors remain "out of stock" for the time being.

Lastly, note a previous price reduction on the Tesla website down to $50 for the SAE J1772 Charging Adapter. However, this adapter is, I believe, still included with new car delivery.
I understand why the change was made, but sometimes only using math to make decisions misses the point. Hopefully, they will reverse this decision.

Interesting that Tesla is once again offering a J1772-plug-fitted wall connector (for $550 in the U.S.) to individuals and businesses in North America. I take it that, other than the J1772 plug, it has the same specifications (e.g., up to 48-amp continuous charging) as the Gen 3 standard wall connector. Previously, the Gen 2 J1772 WC version was only around (on the Tesla Shop website) for just a month or so in November 2021. Clearly Tesla believes that there remains a market, perhaps made up of families and businesses that service more than one type of electric car?

Reactions: cmy4x4 and Rocky_H
Clearly Tesla believes that there remains a market, perhaps made up of families and businesses that service more than one type of electric car?
I saw a video a few weeks ago (I didn't save the link) from a contractor who installed several of that first batch of J1772 Wall Connectors along with TPC Wall Connectors in a parking garage somewhere. IIRC, the power-sharing feature made this an appealing combination for that site. Of course, there are other EVSEs with power-sharing capabilities, but AFAIK none offer Tesla plugs.

What I find interesting is the fact that Tesla is charging $150 more for the J1772 version. I'm very skeptical that a J1772 plug costs $150 more than a Tesla plug. Given that Tesla's Level 2 charging equipment has always been priced near the low end of the range for Level 2 charging hardware generally, my suspicion is that Tesla's been selling that hardware at cost, or maybe even at a loss, so as to minimize the ancillary costs of buying a Tesla for their customers. There's less incentive to do so for their J1772 EVSE -- why subsidize somebody buying a J1772 EVSE to charge a Ford? Thus, they're selling it at a price that'll bring in at least a modest profit.

I recently added a third chart to the original post: "Costs of Common Home 240-volt Charging Options." As the titles implies, the purposed here is to get a handle on what it might cost (equipment-wise) to install either a wall-outlet or a wall connector system. I hadn't thought about this in awhile, so the results were somewhat of a surprise and probably due in no small part to Tesla price reductions for certain charging equipment.

There are a lot of details left out, and these are very crude cost approximations (for equipment, and not labor), but the orders of magnitude may be correct and allow us to intelligently compare wall outlet versus wall connector installations.

I have started to install my first Gen3 wall connector, removing the 14-50, going from a 50 amp to 60 amp breaker.
I had my 5 charging locations wired with #6 Thhn 90C to a 200 amp subpanel, so each line would be good for 75 amps if needed.
I am playing with putting 5 gen3's in, assuming the fw now supports, just for the fun of it. Then I could get a tesla to J1772a adapter if
a non tesla wanted to charge. Pretty stupid, since I only have one EV now, but ....

Residential breakers are normally only rated to 75C, so you'll be stuck with a paltry 65A, assuming you did run in conduit.
Yep, ran #6 thhn, 90C wiring, in conduit. I only need 60 amp breakers anyways so looks like I am well covered.
I just do not understand why folks run NM, most installed are not to code! For a 60 amp breaker, one would need
NM4/3 which is real real expensive, I know, my solar folks had to install 100 Feet of it.

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H
I just do not understand why folks run NM,
Seriously? It's because what type of wire to choose is basically determined by where it is going to go. For sticking wire down inside sheetrock walls, or above ceilings in an attic, or along a crawlspace under a floor, that is exactly what NM-B is meant for. It is much quicker than having to construct conduit all along there. And you don't have to do a bunch of tearing out and patching sheet rock to put it inside a wall, where you would have to do with putting conduit inside the wall.

most installed are not to code!
That is not related in any way at all. If an installer is going to be ignorant and not follow code, they might do that regardless of what material they are using.