Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Choosing A Tesla Home-charging Option

Which home-charging option do you plan to or already use?

• Tesla Gen 2 (or 1) Mobile Connector (that came with car)

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • Dedicated Tesla Gen 2 (or 1) Mobile Connector (a 2nd one you purchased just for home use)

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • Tesla Corded Mobile Connector

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • Tesla NEMA 14-50 Wall Connector

Votes: 19 16.7%
  • Tesla Gen 3 Wall Connector (i.e., the latest model)

Votes: 38 33.3%
  • Tesla Gen 2 (or 1) High Power Wall Connector

Votes: 22 19.3%

• Total voters

tps5352

Supporting Member
We use ChargePoint Home Flex 50a … it is ultra portable.

Good job. Tesla had a plug-in wall connector for a year (~2019) but I guess it didn’t sell. Some people turn their hard-wired Tesla (Gen 2; maybe Hen 3?) wall connector into a plug-in. I did that. The 40-amp maximum on a NEMA 14-50 receptacle is more than adequate for overnight charging (Model X). In fact, I have car set for 32amps max.

I do notice that the better aftermarket wall connectors are no cheaper than the Tesla model ($500); often more.

tps5352

Supporting Member
...Tesla (Gen 2; maybe Hen 3?) wall connector...

There is also a "Rooster 3" connector, but in this case I meant the Generation 3 device.

Also, I updated Post #1 with a Note 7 about the Tesla Gen 2 J1772 Wall Connector, now for sale on the Tesla Charging website.

Chicken on Wall.jpg

tps5352

Supporting Member
Be aware of recent (as of 4/28/22) lowered prices on Tesla charging equipment:
  • Gen 3 Wall Connector is now $400.
  • Gen 2 Mobile Connector bundle (connector, NEMA 5-15 and 14-50 plug-adapters, case) is now just $200 (was $315).
  • Corded Mobile Connector (w/permanent NEMA 14-50 plug) is now (only) $200.
Sadly, the Gen 2 Mobile Connector bundle is no longer included at no extra charge with new cars. Also, the two mobile connectors remain "out of stock" for the time being.

Lastly, note a previous price reduction on the Tesla website down to $50 for the SAE J1772 Charging Adapter. However, this adapter is, I believe, still included with new car delivery.

Last edited:
Be aware of recent (as of 4/28/22) lowered prices on Tesla charging equipment:
  • Gen 3 Wall Connector is now $400.
  • Gen 2 Mobile Connector bundle (connector, NEMA 5-15 and 14-50 plug-adapters, case) is now just $200 (was $315).
  • Corded Mobile Connector (w/permanent NEMA 14-50 plug) is now (only) $200.
Sadly, the Gen 2 Mobile Connector bundle is no longer included at no extra charge with new cars. Also, the two mobile connectors remain "out of stock" for the time being.

Lastly, note a previous price reduction on the Tesla website down to $50 for the SAE J1772 Charging Adapter. However, this adapter is, I believe, still included with new car delivery.
I understand why the change was made, but sometimes only using math to make decisions misses the point. Hopefully, they will reverse this decision.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC