Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Choosing an insurance company w/a Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took the time to read the majority of this thread...

2016 Model S 90D - Property Damage Claim Post Mortem

I have to admit, my heart skipped a beat several times and I really felt for the OP and others that have gone through hell and back (sometimes not back) with claims. I just bought my first Tesla (2016 90D) and really would like to protect myself as best as possible.

It is clear that Tesla's are viewed differently by different companies. Any advice out there on carriers that handle themselves with integrity and fairness?

Dave

I know it's different with a pre-owned vs. new Tesla. For my pre-owned, in addition to auto insurance, I opted for GAP coverage through the credit union I am financing the car with. That way, should the car ever be declared a total loss (or if I get screwed by an insurance adjuster), I should come out of it okay.

I insure with American Family. My agent included New Car Replacement coverage which is only for the first 24 months of ownership. My Tesla was totaled in month 29. American family was very good during the claims process. I processed through my own insurance company and paid the deductible rather than going through the other guys insurance company. Within a few months American Family settled with the other guys company and sent me my deductible back.

I could not be happier with how fast they processed the claim my only complaint was we went back and forth a couple of times on the value of my car. I sent in a list of cars on EV-CPO to help support my argument on a higher valuation. We finally agreed on a valuation that was about $2K less than what I said it was worth but more than $3K what American Family said it was worth.

I sent my agent the thread above. He sent it to his best claims guy. This is what he responded with...

If the insured is worried about something like this happening I would advise that he should be with someone like Chubb, AIG, Travelers, or stay with Nationwide. Chubb is very good with claims and the other three are highly rated and well-known companies. The premiums for these policies will obviously be higher because they are more well known for treating their insured’s right.

I have used an independent broker for years. He has guided me well through the several issues we have had. I now have four drivers in the house (including two teenagers). We also carry a 2M umbrella. I asked him to get coverage from the other three firms, but will likely stay with Nationwide.

I may also reach out to American Family (per the previous post) as I have heard good things about them as well.

GAP is much cheaper with car insurance than with the lender. For progressive, it's $18 for the entire year. After a year or two, you should not need it anymore.

Agreed but my insurance company informed me that their version of GAP (New Car Replacement) does not apply to used vehicles which is why I opted to get it from the lender. At an effective cost of ~$70/yr over the course of the loan it is well worth it IMO especially as I will most likely be upside down for more than two-thirds the term of the loan.

I got my policy thru Kinecta FCU in Tustin, CA... My guy Hassan was able to have them run a policy thru multiple carriers so I knew I was getting the best deal. In fact my rates didn't really jump that much. PM me if you'd like his info; he did mention they can only do policies in CA, WA, OR, NV, TX, and CO

I started with Progressive at about $750 paid in full for six months of full coverage. After six months they wanted to raise the rate to about $900 for no reason. So I found a start up called Root that offered the same coverage at $720. The catch is they track your driving for a few weeks to see how safe you are but give discounts if you use auto pilot often. Anyway, I went with them and all is good so far.

So I turned in the tags on my old vehicle and decided to see what the difference was going to be on my insurance policy (Geico) and OMG!!!!
$600 more per 6 month period with my 2016 Tesla Model S 90D!!!
Went straight to Progressive and they quoted me $300 less than my current policy (sans-Tesla). That's a staggering difference!!!
10+ years with Geico and I guess we've been grossly overpaying all this time...

So I turned in the tags on my old vehicle and decided to see what the difference was going to be on my insurance policy (Geico) and OMG!!!!
$600 more per 6 month period with my 2016 Tesla Model S 90D!!!
Went straight to Progressive and they quoted me $300 less than my current policy (sans-Tesla). That's a staggering difference!!!
10+ years with Geico and I guess we've been grossly overpaying all this time...

Interesting. Yesterday I spent a couple hours checking rates with a half dozen companies, and Geico provided the best rate. I decided to go with them. How’s their claims process? Progressive initially quoted me a good rate, but once they saw that I had a couple comprehensive claims and a minor traffic infraction (no points), they doubled their quote.

We've been with Geico for 14 years and when I called to cancel, the rep said she could override the quote we got.
She was able to bring it down to $1200/6 months (we were paying ~$900 with the Yukon XL).
Progressive came in at $790/6months.
Geico is great, their service is great but those numbers are a deal breaker.
For what it's worth, I asked the rep why the Tesla was so much more than our other vehicle on the policy and she said the cost of repairs played a big factor.

I took the time to read the majority of this thread...

2016 Model S 90D - Property Damage Claim Post Mortem

I have to admit, my heart skipped a beat several times and I really felt for the OP and others that have gone through hell and back (sometimes not back) with claims. I just bought my first Tesla (2016 90D) and really would like to protect myself as best as possible.

It is clear that Tesla's are viewed differently by different companies. Any advice out there on carriers that handle themselves with integrity and fairness?

Dave
It's important to note that that thread is almost three years old. This is an eternity in how fast Tesla has been moving and changing. Insurance companies were still reeling from the # of cars sitting in shops for simple collisions for months and months waiting for the parts supply lines to fulfill demand. The rental costs were killing their bottom line. Also, it was around this time that Tesla allowed 3rd parties the honor to work on their cars. All of this has shifted the costs of repair under insurance claims.

Insurance carriers are also starting to get the data on how difficult it is to successfully steal a Tesla, how much less frequently they get into accidents and also how much less the medical payouts are for cars that are involved in collisions due to safety features.

Some insurance providers are slower to update their cost structure and premiums based on all of the above. This isn't a good or a bad thing necessarily but don't be surprised if the slower to react companies have higher premiums based on older data.

Shop. Shop. Shop.

In our case, our insurance company (Bristol West, a sister company of Farmers) didn't even want to insure our first used Model S. At all. Our agent suggesting migrating to Farmers which was going to cost more money but the hike was astronomical. After about 15-years of loyalty we learned that that loyalty was clearly a one-way-street. We used that change to shop around and we're so glad we did.

USAA was decent for us but ultimately Progressive was the lowest premiums and it wasn't even close.

We insured a 4dr sedan, pick-up truck and our primary residence previously. At one point, we had three Model S, a 4dr sedan, a pick-up and our home all on the same policy. Once we narrowed it down to two Model S cars and our primary residence our annual insurance policy with Progressive was LOWER than it was previously with Bristol West for the first arrangement I mentioned at the beginning of this paragraph and it had better coverage.

I think a lot of people who talk of how expensive they are to insure don't shop enough providers. Everyone is different so you may find a better deal with another provider but you'll never know unless you check with all of them.

Reactions: Tdblanchard