TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Choosing between a used MS 60 and MS 85

Discussion in 'Model S' started by heysteveh, Jun 8, 2016.

1. heysteveh

heysteveh Member

I am currently a Model 3 reservation holder, but may end up pulling the trigger on a used Model S when my current lease is up in December of this year. My budget will probably be in the $40K-$45K range. I live near Phoenix, AZ and 90% of my driving (suburban) could be handled easily by the smaller range of the MS 60. But for longer trips (vacations), for example Phoenix to Portland, OR, or Phoenix to Southern California, I'm wondering if the MS 60 would be practical or if the longer range of the 85 would be a must for a trip like that? Keeping in mind that budget is an issue for me, is the MS 85 a must-have for long trips or could one get by with the smaller 60 battery? I suppose I could get the MS 60 and then just rent an ICE car for vacations as others have done. But I feel that if I am going to spend the money for an MS, I WANT to enjoy driving the TESLA on our vacations! So is the MS 60 doable for longer trips or should I hold out until I can afford a MS 85?

2. Buckeye2320

Buckeye2320 Member

Here is an easy way to determine what is best for you. Go to EV Trip Planner and plan your trips. Pick the 60 then switch to the 85. This will tell you how long you have to charge, the number of miles used etc. You can then decide if a 60 or 85 is right for you.

Cheers

• Like x 2
    • Helpful x 1
  3. eyespii

eyespii Member

The answer is simple - don't stretch your budget for a car. Not worth it. Not sure about portland, but I travel from SoCal/Phx frequently, and there are 4 superchargers just between L.A. and Phx (Cabazon, Indio, Quartzite, Buckeye). Range charge if you need to, spend a few extra minutes at the superchargers, drive a few mph slower, and you'll be fine.

4. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 918 Hybrid

If 90% of your driving is local, you should be fine with the 60.

5. JPUConn

JPUConn Member

Get a hold of a CPO advisor and maybe with that next wave of cars available there will be more 85's in your price range. I'm taking delivery of a CPO 85 that's not far from your range there were ones cheaper that didn't have the options/colors I wanted.

My decision point was (besides price) the range for weekend trips and the drivetrain warranty as I drive a lot and the 60 is capped at 125k miles /8 yrs and the 85 is unlimited miss /8 yrs.

6. Bound466

Bound466 Member

The 60 can handle the superchargers distance, no problem. I have been on many road trips in my 60 from SoCal to Utah, to Colorado, to Northern Cal, without any issues. So don't think that the 60 can't take you on road trips, because it works just fine.

7. ggnykk

ggnykk Active Member

Go for 85 for sure. There are HUGE differences between 60 and 85, in terms of range, performance and supercharging time. 85 battery literally charge 2x faster than 60 battery. If you are looking for a used Tesla, highly recommend to get 85D. All wheel drive and long range.

• Helpful x 1
  8. Mike K

Mike K Member

#8 Mike K, Jun 8, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2016
    There's absolutely no reason not to get the 85. It goes further and it charges faster. I do LA to Phoenix often and stopping at two superchargers on a 6 hour drive is obnoxious as it is. Do you really want to have to stop at Buckeye, then Quartzite, then Indio and then probably another one? Because that would be your reality.

I think those telling you to charge a little longer and drive a little slower don't fully appreciate the difference between the two cars. The 60 already supercharges at a slower rate than the 85. Couple that with the lower range which will force you to stay longer as well and then consider the fact that you have to drive slower to stretch out range and you're potentially adding hour(s) on to this trip. No bueno. I love driving but even I hate having to stop to charge. It just feels like wasted time.

But here's the number one reason: you'll get your money back. Nice 60's are around what? 40 - 45k? An 85 with modest mileage can be had for 50k with the slightest bit of patience and when it comes time to sell not only will you get that money back, but you'll have an easier to sell car.

As the prices of these cars continue to drop and longer range becomes the norm, the cars will be cheap enough that few people will be willing to settle for a 60. They will become increasingly more difficult to sell and similar to what we see with AP vs non-AP cars: proportionately, the amount of money you lose will be more than the amount of money you spend to get an 85 now. Spend the money. Enjoy the car. Don't let $5,000 sour your experience.

• Like x 1
  9. JeffK

JeffK Active Member

They just released the new 60 and 60D just an FYI

• Like x 1
  10. kort677

kort677 Active Member

if you plan on only using the car as a daily driving/commuter the 60 would be sufficient, if you do any amount of long distance road trips you'd be better served with a larger cap battery.

11. No2DinosaurFuel

Yeah like what JeffK said. At the current CPO price of a S60, it's not worth it to get a CPO. Just get barebone NEW S60 and pay the difference. Then you can charge to 100% everytime and not have to worry about battery degradation. You get a new car, better warranty, better range, better technology like AP and such. Make sure you use referrals and state/federal tax credit to bring the overall cost down.

12. Boourns

Boourns Member

I was in your position. Your best bet is to talk with a CPO adviser. He or she will have access to cars you don't see on the website, and with a long-ish time frame for your purchase you have the time to find a car that fits your needs. I thought I would have to get a 60 because my budget was the same as yours, but my 85 came along at the right time and price ($42k), so I went with it.

As others have said, if you could afford it, I would also seriously consider the new base S60, but I presume if you have decided your budget is $40k-$45k, $58 after rebate is too much of a stretch. It certainly would have been for me.

13. No2DinosaurFuel

Depending on the states you are in. Colorado has very generous tax breaks and you can probably get it for 52K after taxes and referrals.

• Like x 1
  14. Boourns

Boourns Member

Which is still $8,000 over the OP's stated budget; plus, he lives in Arizona. I totally agree that the new S60 is a good deal. But spending $15,000 more than his budget may not be possible.

15. CUBldr97

CUBldr97 Member

one other issue with a 60 or an 85 CPO is the battery warranty. there is a difference... When i got my CPO the difference between equal cars was about $8k... there is a cap on the mileage of a 60kwh car, there is not on the 85kwh battery...
    No one has really tested the limits of the warranty.. will TESLA replace a bad battery after the warranty period? the batteries are estimated at around $40-50K each... at least that is what i was told when i asked the question back in Januray 2016...

But as far as driving goes... either car is fine... and you can drive all you want across the country or not.

• Informative x 1
  16. brantse

brantse Member

Not sure who told you that, but the latest official word I've heard is that you can upgrade to a new 90 pack for $22.5k. This requires that you give them your old battery and have it installed in a MS. When I say can, there have been mixed reports about whether any current versions could be upgraded or just 85's. My guess is that when we get to the point that people begin really needing replacements, that Tesla will start allowing and pricing batteries at various sizes/upgrades.

17. CUBldr97

CUBldr97 Member

... When i researched the question, the only reference point was an early MS 60 owner who had a bad MS60 battery, upgraded to an 85 at the time, the battery was about $50K, tesla gave hiim some credit and he paid about $16k to upgrade.... Besides all the other differences pointed out about a 60kwh vs an 85k battery, i wanted the unlimited milage warranty that the 60 doesnt have. my CPO had 39k miles on it, so my warranty would only go to 100k miles for the 60kwh battery... with my current driving i would go above the 100k miles faster than the 8 year time period.... so i was worried about that so i asked worse case scenerio is at 100, 001 miles the battery would need to be replaced.

18. Boourns

Boourns Member

Drive in reverse for 2 miles. :p

19. CUBldr97

CUBldr97 Member

like this?

20. Boourns

Boourns Member

Exactly! You could even blame Autopilot for the whole crashing through a building thing.