Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Choosing between a used MS 60 and MS 85

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went through a similar decision in February. I originally was going to wait for MS3 then decided to look at CPOs. I wanted AP so that ruled a lot of cars out. Then I looked at a new 70. I could buy a new 70 with AP and next gen seats cheaper than I could buy most of the CPOs I saw out there. Most of the CPOs were loaded with options that were nice but put the car out of my price range. So I went with the new 70 with AP and next gen seats. Price was a big determination. I did not get some of the options I might have bought on a Model 3 or a CPO because I thought I could do without them.

I love my 70 and love driving my 70. I love it even more because I did not stretch my budget to far out of line which was $65,000.

I drive approximately 600 miles a week for work. Normal days are 110 miles Monday through Friday and very little Sat and Sun. There are days when I drive over 200 miles in a day. I have used superchargers at least 6 times in the last three weeks and normally take about 45 minutes to charge. Except for the first time I supercharged, I now plan to take work with me in the car for those days I know or think I will use the supercharger. I have also used chargeport twice. One time at the location where my meeting was and another down the street from the meeting and I had an hour to kill between meetings so I used that charger.

I do hate charging when I am sitting there. I will use our ICE Expedition (15 mph ouch) when we travel

I am glad I bought my 70 rather than waiting to whenever I could afford exactly what I wanted.

I also drive my cars until they are worthless. Lowest mileage car I got rid of had 210,000 on it.

Good luck with whatever decision you make You will love the car

Reactions: ggnykk
Not necessarily ... if the OP uses the car in city 99% of the time, then the 60 may be the best solution.

There's absolutely no reason not to get the 85. It goes further and it charges faster. I do LA to Phoenix often and stopping at two superchargers on a 6 hour drive is obnoxious as it is. Do you really want to have to stop at Buckeye, then Quartzite, then Indio and then probably another one? Because that would be your reality.

I think those telling you to charge a little longer and drive a little slower don't fully appreciate the difference between the two cars. The 60 already supercharges at a slower rate than the 85. Couple that with the lower range which will force you to stay longer as well and then consider the fact that you have to drive slower to stretch out range and you're potentially adding hour(s) on to this trip. No bueno. I love driving but even I hate having to stop to charge. It just feels like wasted time.

But here's the number one reason: you'll get your money back. Nice 60's are around what? 40 - 45k? An 85 with modest mileage can be had for 50k with the slightest bit of patience and when it comes time to sell not only will you get that money back, but you'll have an easier to sell car.

As the prices of these cars continue to drop and longer range becomes the norm, the cars will be cheap enough that few people will be willing to settle for a 60. They will become increasingly more difficult to sell and similar to what we see with AP vs non-AP cars: proportionately, the amount of money you lose will be more than the amount of money you spend to get an 85 now. Spend the money. Enjoy the car. Don't let $5,000 sour your experience.

Thanks to all... great points and info. I have a lot to consider over the next 5-6 months. As always with Tesla, I'm sure things will change between now and then, e.g. resale values on the older M 60 taking a big hit due to cheaper new version now available, etc.