Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Choosing between new M3P and new 75D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Everyone,

First post here but I'm expecting to get into a Tesla this year for the first time. I currently drive a 2018 Audi S5 that is going to go back this year. I suspect this question will be quite polarizing in forums as there is no wrong answer but I am trying to choose between the M3P and the new long range 75D. Some factors that I am considering...

• This will be a daily driver to and from work
  • I do 180 mile road trips every month
  • Newborn baby in the family (so baby seat, stroller, etc)
  • Dog comes with me to work every day

I know the price is a big differentiating factor but I'd like to hear your opinions on what you think would be a better fit based on your own experience. I test drove both cars. I was pleasantly surprised with how much room the M3P has but do wish it had a hatch so that it is more comfortable for the doggo, etc. Do any of you have dogs + babies and have a M3P? Not sure if a thread like this is taboo but if it is, I will try to remove.

Thanks in advance! Can't wait to be a Tesla owner.

I don't have the dog in my equation for everyday to work but I have an extra kid and went with the Model 3 LR AWD. Cf Tesla youtube channel has a video about fitting 3 (?!) carseats in his Model 3. That + me renting one and testing it out was enough for me know it'll work for us. Is your dog a large breed?

Perhaps I should have said Model S Long Range rather than 75D. Apologies, didn't realize that they discontinued that nomenclature! Thanks for pointing that out. I can't wait for the Model Y unfortunately - my S5 is a lease that has a return date of this year.

Are you referring to the Model S 100D? The 75D has been discontinued.
You sound like a candidate for the Model Y.

I don't have the dog in my equation for everyday to work but I have an extra kid and went with the Model 3 LR AWD. Cf Tesla youtube channel has a video about fitting 3 (?!) carseats in his Model 3. That + me renting one and testing it out was enough for me know it'll work for us. Is your dog a large breed?

He is a smaller Labradoodle (25lbs) so not huge :)

I don't have a chance to experience the S yet but I like my AWD LR model 3 alot. it's a perfect daily driver. I believe the P3D chill mode is very chill lol. and the standard mode is really aggressive. (rumor they will release ludicrous mode this year for p3d and p3d- which is now officially p3d)

@freesole You didn't mention what your budget was.

It appears range is not a concern you have which is a good thing as that is a non-issue with a Tesla. Not so much with other car brands.

I don't have a dog so can't comment on which car would be more comfortable.

The Model 3 does have more newer Technology (batteries for one), however the latest Model S also has the motor from the Model 3 in the front, so its very efficient now.

As someone else pointed out, the depreciation on the S will be a much more as it more expensive than the 3.

For me personally it came down to space and looks of the S that I preferred over the 3 and not so much the tech.

The first deliveries of the Y should be in March according to Elon Time.
The Model S has a lot more room, but costs twice as much, and probably will depreciate much faster than a Model 3 or Y.

My wife and I travel with two smaller dogs (10 and 20#) and haul grand kid loot back and forth on our trips. We are just about maxed out for space. In your shoes I would have to give serious consideration to the current Model S LR. Room, range and hatchback would tilt the scales for me. As far as depreciation goes - all Teslas hold their value very well, at least for the moment. Compare pre-owned MS prices on the Tesla site to see what I mean. You won't feel tapped out in the 'S'. But, I absolutely love my M3.

Numerous threads about the model s vs model 3.

I own s85d and 3p-

As you stated, maybe order model y performance. best of both worlds.

I do miss things on the model S that you cant have on the 3. ie air suspension, heated steering wheel, manual stalk for AP, customizable wheel /toggle (ac fan speed), hatch back for cargo room etc.

The model 3 is MUCH more fun to drive and easier to park. I'm assuming this will carry over to the model Y as well.

• Informative
Reactions: SilverGS
I don't know that you want the M3P for a daily driver with dog & baby... The ride in the LR-AWD is firm enough, and the 1" lower ground clearance on the P may become problematic with curbs, driveways, etc. You can also get an acceleration boost in software for the LR-AWD, MUCH cheaper than the P. My 70# lab is happy in the back seat, and could easily share it with a car seat.

• Disagree
Reactions: ElectricIAC
The model 3 is about the same length as your Audi, the model S is about a foot longer so definitely the driving feel won't be as similar.
If you don't mind fitting your dog in the back seat with your baby then everything should fit. Get a roof rack and carrier so that if you'll have the extra cargo space if you need it. 200 miles with the rack/carrier on is easily doable.

I've currently got a Model S 85D and 3 P, also owned a 2011 Roadster (driving a Tesla since 2015)

P is my daily commute, S or the family and weekends

The model 3 is great to drive and easier to maneuver the Hong Kong traffic and car parks.
Other than that they are a lot alike.

If you don't want the speed get the S. Its a far better cruiser on the highway from my experience and plenty fast enough if you haven't tried a Performance model yet. THe dual screens are quite nice in my opinion as well. If you want the speed and agility go with the 3.

My child’s car seat fits really well in the M3P and the storage space in the trunk is great for the size of the car and the fact that it’s a sedan. As many have said, the Model Y seems like your best option. I also don’t agree that the M3P is difficult to drive in a non-aggressive manner on sport mode and I wouldn’t be put off by the minority of drivers who do.