Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Choosing CPO is tough. Actual pics?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My CPO had a few issues, but they were all replaced/refinished and my car was delivered in like new condition. I would be more concerned about getting the right car for your driving style and then make sure it's reconditioned to your spec.

Also mikes are not as much of a concern with a CPO since they all come with the same warranty.

It sounds like you'd enjoy the P85+. Once I tested one, I no longer felt like a P85 was sufficient for me.

Reactions: Indpowr
My CPO had a few issues, but they were all replaced/refinished and my car was delivered in like new condition. I would be more concerned about getting the right car for your driving style and then make sure it's reconditioned to your spec.

Also mikes are not as much of a concern with a CPO since they all come with the same warranty.

It sounds like you'd enjoy the P85+. Once I tested one, I no longer felt like a P85 was sufficient for me.

Would love a P85d but would require selling another toy. We like the 85D with AP1 amd newer but looks like we will end up with 13 P85 w/ 19k miles. it's 15k less more options and same miles roughly. Still not sure how our money is coming in yet. hope/pray soon.

Ordinarily I would look these things up and provide links, but don't have time right now. So I will provide a few directions for you to go research on your own.

2012-13 cars are somewhat of a crap shoot regarding extended leather. A lot of them had it even though it wasn't an option. By the time I ordered mine in April of 14 it was an extra cost option that would be listed separately. Premium lighting was another thing that I didn't go for but many of the early cars had it.

Parking sensors and folding mirrors will not be present on early cars. Check the wiki on this site if you want to know when specific features were introduced. Autopilot cars will specifically say so on the Tesla site. At the price you mentioned, you will not likely get an Autopilot car.

A few people have had terrible experiences with CPOs. Bad enough that I would not buy one without seeing it in person, and I am currently shopping for a second Model S. @Cyclone had a ridiculous experience with a long thread on this board that shouldn't be difficult to find. IIRC, the car had hidden body damage and Tesla did not make it right. There was another person who took delivery of one in Fremont and had to escalate numerous times before getting issues fixed. So you are right to be skittish about buying a car sight-unseen.

Edit: I just noticed that you are in "Floroda" but apparently the city is a secret. The CPO cars for this region are mostly held in West Palm Beach. I haven't gotten close enough to pulling the trigger to inquire about this, but it would be nice to actually go there and inspect a car before putting cash on the line.

Budget is mid about 55-60k
Open to most colors other than brown and green.

I am a performance guy so think the P is the best option.

Found a 2014 fully fully loaded P85 for 60k plus transport but, over 40k miles.

And found a few 2013 P85s from 55-60k about the same options with less miles.

And did find a 2013 p85+ all black for 57k with less miles than the p85 2014 for more cash.

I wish I could see the condition of the cars (actual pics) prior to putting 1000 down.

Items we like
TECH
Pana
Has to be blk interior prefer nappa
Don't Care about wheel size, sound system, or air ride.
Alcantara roof is a plus

I understand that 13 models came with extended leather vs 14 it was an options unless I am wrong??

And was told the later year 14s are much better fit and finish as well as Tesla worked out a lot of the on going issues...not sure if true or not.

Here is a break down of what has been added year by year:

Model S - Options by Year - Tesla Motors Club Wiki

I would go for at least a late 2014 model, as they get the higher resolution screen where the speedo is:

2014 General In the late Summer of 2014, the driver's instrument cluster display resolution was improved from 1280 X 480 to 1920 X 720. No new
functionality was add at the time of the display change.

• Informative
My car is early 2013. In addition to the stuff Rick mentioned, there is my thread My CPO (and disappointments) Experience . My car has had LOTS of repairs on it to replace parts. Other than the repaint I had to pay for out of pocket, it has been a great experience. To this day, that still gives me a bad vibe, but I've lived with it. I also had the folding mirrors retrofitted to my car and I would have been perfectly happy if I had to pay for the repaint and they "goodwilled" the mirror retrofit or at least the labor for it (and still charged me parts). I even told Tesla before that if they wanted to lemon mine out and buy it back, I would gladly buy another one on the spot. They didn't take me up on my offer.

Thankfully, after the first year and all those repairs, they have been few and far between, my car getting serviced maybe once every three months or so. It was just done in December and will again probably in February because my door panel is loose from replacing my door handle in December and now I get a cold draft into the car (which may be coming from the loose panel). I always have had another S to have as a loaner and the guys are great, I just disagree with the lack of empowerment corporate has given the local service center.

Here is a break down of what has been added year by year:

I would go for at least a late 2014 model, as they get the higher resolution screen where the speedo is:

2014 General In the late Summer of 2014, the driver's instrument cluster display resolution was improved from 1280 X 480 to 1920 X 720. No new
functionality was add at the time of the display change.
First I have seen that info. The 85D we had was 69k so went above but money was not where we thought it might happen so swapped for sAmerica miles 13 P85 for 57k. Did not know about the display change ugh. We really wanted to be grandfathered in so we put a deposit down. we have plenty of time though lol

My car is early 2013. In addition to the stuff Rick mentioned, there is my thread My CPO (and disappointments) Experience . My car has had LOTS of repairs on it to replace parts. Other than the repaint I had to pay for out of pocket, it has been a great experience. To this day, that still gives me a bad vibe, but I've lived with it. I also had the folding mirrors retrofitted to my car and I would have been perfectly happy if I had to pay for the repaint and they "goodwilled" the mirror retrofit or at least the labor for it (and still charged me parts). I even told Tesla before that if they wanted to lemon mine out and buy it back, I would gladly buy another one on the spot. They didn't take me up on my offer.

Thankfully, after the first year and all those repairs, they have been few and far between, my car getting serviced maybe once every three months or so. It was just done in December and will again probably in February because my door panel is loose from replacing my door handle in December and now I get a cold draft into the car (which may be coming from the loose panel). I always have had another S to have as a loaner and the guys are great, I just disagree with the lack of empowerment corporate has given the loca×l service center.
Good Outlook and hope we don't have as many issues. folding mirrors isn't that big of a deal to us, display maybe though. ugh my CPO manager may kill me lmao

Last edited:

Thank you for this. I didn't realize this was available and buying a CPO can be quite confusing because of all of the changes Tesla makes mid year, it can be overwhelming! If I had known about this, I probably would have saved myself a lot of questions and posts on here!

As far as buying without pics, I am trusting the "process". Sure, there's some folks who have been unhappy with their CPO's, but the majority seem to very happy with them. I am still waiting for an update on my CPO but I only put the deposit down on Monday, so its been 5 days.

Thank you for this. I didn't realize this was available and buying a CPO can be quite confusing because of all of the changes Tesla makes mid year, it can be overwhelming! If I had known about this, I probably would have saved myself a lot of questions and posts on here!

As far as buying without pics, I am trusting the "process". Sure, there's some folks who have been unhappy with their CPO's, but the majority seem to very happy with them. I am still waiting for an update on my CPO but I only put the deposit down on Monday, so its been 5 days.

You are very welcome!

I do not have a Tesla Model S yet, but would like one!

Unfortunately, at this current time, a CPO will be the only way I could get into one, so trying to do my research!

Yeah, don't really like that they don't have actually pics of the vehicles for sale, but I understand they are posting the cars as soon as they are available for sale and they are not looking their best! They still need cleaning up and everything!

You are very welcome!

I do not have a Tesla Model S yet, but would like one!

Unfortunately, at this current time, a CPO will be the only way I could get into one, so trying to do my research!

Yeah, don't really like that they don't have actually pics of the vehicles for sale, but I understand they are posting the cars as soon as they are available for sale and they are not looking their best! They still need cleaning up and everything!

It can be overwhelming. I did about 2 weeks of studying the forums, pricing, options and pulled the trigger on Jan 1st on a 15 85D with 10k miles on it. I feel like I am buying something brand new but can understand the concerns some people have with higher mileage CPO's.

Reactions: RScottyL
You might want to put the deposit down to make it your car, ask for photos, and then transfer the deposit/accept the car once the photos come in.
Well put money down on the 85d. Sean moved it to the 13 P85 with 19k miles. wish I knew about the display as I stare at that every time. Sean said I have 72hrs to decide if I wanted another car the first time. Not sure if he would let me do it again lol.

I can not wait to change the order at the time of pickup as it would be after the grandfather time.

Last edited:
Well put money down on the 85. Sean moved it to the 13 P85 with 19k miles. wish I knew about the display as I stare at that every time. Sean said I have 72hrs to decide if I wanted another car the first time. Not sure if he would let me do it again lol.

I can not wait to change the order at the time of pickup as it would be after the grandfather time.

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about the display. There are pics of it here. I have the older one and have seen the newer one. When you are driving, its not easy to tell the difference. You really have to stare at it tell. Back in Firmware 6, the newer one was much more laggy b/c of the higher resolution, but I don't know how 7 and 8 behave on it.

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about the display. There are pics of it here. I have the older one and have seen the newer one. When you are driving, its not easy to tell the difference. You really have to stare at it tell. Back in Firmware 6, the newer one was much more laggy b/c of the higher resolution, but I don't know how 7 and 8 behave on it.
Just read the thread. It's about 7500 more to go to a comparable 14 vs the 13 we have with 11k more miles. At that point it's only 4k away from my 85D I had lmao. pennies add up haha

Reactions: RScottyL
Don't for get that a 85D and P85 have nearly the same performance numbers. Sure, with the D, it wasn't the top end, but the a 2015 85D is basically equivalent (performance-wise) to a 2013 P85.

Do you know how a 15 85D compares to a 16 75D? I ask because I test drive a 75D but actually bought a 85D CPO. Today my 2010 BMW 328xi was in the shop for a recall and they gave me a 430i gran coupe and it did NOTHING to impress me after driving a Tesla. I have grown tired of my 328xi and driving it was just a chore like it is for most people with their cars. I lost the thrill that I used to have. Can't wait till I get it back...

85D has greater performance than the 75D. I 75D is similar to the old RWD 85 (non-performance) in terms of performance.

Now don't get me wrong, the dual motor cars have a different feel than the RWD cars, I'm just comparing stuff like 0-60 and such performance.

Seat-of-the-pants it will be difficult to tell. On one of our Tesla gatherings, @Btrflyl8e, @FLDarren, @Great Dane, @Alaron, and I all rode in each others cars back to back. That's a classic 60, classic P85, classic P85+, and classic 85. Honestly, none of us could tell the difference. I've also done a couple stop light drag races against @Great Dane with my 85 vs. his P85. Once I beat him because he hit the accelerator too hard and traction control intervened. The other time he did it perfectly and beat me by about 2 car lengths. The point is that ANY Tesla is a fast car.