Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Choosing NEW vs. CPO HELP!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Long time lurker, first time poster:

Have decided to purchase a Model S but am completely stuck between CPO and New. We are a "drive cars till they fall apart" family with 3 kids: 16, 13, 7. The appeal of the S is that we can fit 3 kids in the back seat without a hump and the big trunk space. The trunk space also allows for youth hockey gear.

We also like the rear facing seats in older models for the next 2 years for the 7 year old, in a pinch. Its not a deal breaker but it is a factor - understanding it will be used 2 - 5 times per year or so (not in the summer - i get that).

I can get a used 2016 P100D CPO for ~ high 70s OR a NEW 2020 LR for 92k. Very curious for any and all opinions. Absolutely stuck.

thanks

Reactions: BulldogsRus
20k is a lot of money - but you would get some of it back when you sell, assuming you keep the cars for the same amount of time.

I don’t like buying new cars. The depreciation in the first 1-2 years is so steep. Perhaps a little less in Tesla but I suspect that will soon change as real competition is coming out.

If you buy a used car from Tesla then most of them offer a new 4 year/50k warranty. This is close to the same as the new car warranty.

There have been some major upgrades since 2016. The main change was done half way through 2016 with the update to auto pilot 2.0

With 2016 you need to understand if it’s new autopilot hardware or ap1. You also need to look at what car seats you get. The next gen seats are much better than the older seats.

you would not get the updated more responsive media control but the older one is fine (but prone to failure so make sure you have warranty).

If you can point link to used car then I’m happy to give you my opinion.

• Informative
Consider the 3rd option: Tesla "inventory" cars. You get the full tax credit, new vehicle financing & lease rates... and a decent or sometimes very significant discount (typically end of month, quarter or when new model released).

We bought our 2015 P85D as an "inventory" car from our local Tesla showroom in the mall and saved 10% vs. buying new... and it was only 4 months old and only had 2,900 miles on it. This entitled us to 1.43% interest on our 60-month loan, $7,500 federal tax credit, $2,500 state EV rebate, $400 SoCal Edison EV rebate... and a Ludicrous upgrade (now a P85D) for $5,000 just like a "new" Tesla would.

The 10% discount basically meant we bought a P85D for almost the same price as a non-Performance 85D which would have delivered FAR fewer "smiles per mile". :D

YMMV

Last edited:
Reactions: MichaelP90DL
Not your specific situation, but I opted for a used, fully loaded, 2018 model S 100D with 18K miles on it instead of a new long range model S. The cost for the new car with the same options was going to be about 20K more and I had no concerns with the used car given the relatively low mileage and the fact it comes with the 4yr warranty.
The difference between your choice and the choice OP asked about is 2016 20K less than new and 2018 20K less than new. That IMHO is a significant difference. Two years newer for essentially the same cost differential and addional battery, drive motor warranty.

For what it’s worth, I am on my second ‘not new’ Model S. Four years ago I jumped in with a 2013 brown P85 CPO which I absolutely adored. The car treated me beautifully! When the warranty was about to expire, I sold it and got my ultimate dream car. A used Titanium Metallic with four year warranty, P85D with only 34K miles for $50,200! The sticker was $123K new.

You may be wanting more car, faster, longer, and better AP, but the 2015 has all necessary bells and whistles I think I will ever need. I plan on keeping this one until one of us dies!
070BE89C-0511-4609-A008-0BDA1A52941F.jpeg

For what it’s worth, I am on my second ‘not new’ Model S. Four years ago I jumped in with a 2013 brown P85 CPO which I absolutely adored. The car treated me beautifully! When the warranty was about to expire, I sold it and got my ultimate dream car. A used Titanium Metallic with four year warranty, P85D with only 34K miles for $50,200! The sticker was $123K new.

You may be wanting more car, faster, longer, and better AP, but the 2015 has all necessary bells and whistles I think I will ever need. I plan on keeping this one until one of us dies!View attachment 516441

I agree. Our P85D is incredible... and a steal at $50,000 !!!

We're loving our P85D and plan on keeping if for another 3 years until FSD actually becomes mainstream... and a major Model S refresh happens.

Until then we're getting infinite "smiles per mile" and saving major $$$ not "upgrading" to P100D / MS Long Range, especially since we bought the 4-year Extended Service Plan which covers our repairs for $200 deductible until it ends in July 2023.

P.S. Love our Arachnids which actually improved our ride and made our P85D Plus Suspension even sportier.

IMG_4896.JPG

Important distinction to avoid confusion: Tesla ended the CPO program nearly a year ago. What you're talking about is a used car and not a CPO which would normally denote a certain level of cosmetic inspection and refurbishment. What you're getting is a used car with a factory warranty against mechanical defects that likely hasn't even had the 70-point inspection done that they claim. It's important that you know you're buying a used car and inspect it thoroughly as any cosmetic issues are yours once you sign the paperwork. If you want them to fix anything ask before you sign paperwork and force them to put it in writing.

If you are happy with a AP1 car, then your best value will be a P85D. If you want an AP2 car, try to get one made after March of 2018, for it will have MCU2, despite the yellow boarder issues, they are so much better. That would give you the best value for used. If you find that a new (or inventory 2020) car is not much more, then definitely go new. Raven range raven suspension, AP3, MCU2 (fixed, no yellowing), no brainier. I sold my P90D for $50k. So, deals are out there.

Otherwise I would highly suggest a Model Y. Better charging, with all the new tech (AP3, sentry) and other bells and whistles for about the same money. Getting in and out of my Model S everyday wasn't enjoyable, especially in tighter parking spaces. It made sense for me, YMMV. However, will highly miss my daily roller coaster rocket launches. :)

”... got my ultimate dream car. A used Titanium Metallic with four year warranty, P85D with only 34K miles for $50,200! The sticker was $123K new.

You may be wanting more car, faster, longer, and better AP, but the 2015 has all necessary bells and whistles I think I will ever need. I plan on keeping this one until one of us dies!View attachment 516441

NAILED IT...! This is my experience as well...

I’m not obscenely rich and as such found a good balance buying used with my fully loaded (less cold weather package) 2015 P85D at 34k miles—paid just about $51k. The added features of a new model s didn’t justify the expense vs the CPO MS i picked up—this thing is a rocket ship, drives smooth and very classy. AP1 drives me superbly to and from work on my 75 mile round trips to the office—no need for anything else for me.

The money I saved went to an in-ground pool and a 9.2 KwP solar system. I’m now sitting cool...literally and figuratively! YMMV, but regardless I’m sure you’ll love either choice.

Last edited:
NAILED IT...! This is my experience as well...

I’m not obscenely rich and as such found a good balance buying used with my fully loaded (less cold weather package) 2015 P85D at 34k miles—paid just about $51k. The added features of a new model s didn’t justify the expense vs the CPO MS i picked up—this thing is a rocket ship, drives smooth and very classy. AP1 drives me superbly to and from work on my 75 mile round trips to the office—no need for anything else for me.

The money I saved went to an in-ground pool and a 9.2 KwP solar system. I’m now sitting cool...literally and figuratively! YMMV, but regardless I’m sure you’ll love either choice.

Having bought used 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016 (2016.5 specifically) Model S cars I can say that 2015 is the sweet spot of all used Model S in my opinion on bang-for-your buck. They fixed a lot of little things to equal better quality of life that is noticeable for not much more money relatively speaking. Newer than that, the things they "fixed" don't equal anywhere near the premium you pay IMHO. Our 2016 is a refresh which is a close 2nd but I feel like the 2017, 2018 & 2019 cars still cost WAY too much for what you get in terms of day-to-day quality-of-life improvement.

From an online source...

“The AP1 hardware is limited to only one forward-facing camera and radar, while AP2 have eight cameras surrounding the vehicle for full 360 vision. This will, of course, allow for much greater environmental and situational awareness of the vehicle, for example, allowing the system to see whether there is a car or bicyclist in the adjacent lane. Additionally, the radar and ultrasonic sensors were improved for longer-range sensing.”

AP1 is essentially a legacy system that has reached its limits with no hopes of upgrading to FSD.

Having bought used 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016 (2016.5 specifically) Model S cars I can say that 2015 is the sweet spot of all used Model S in my opinion on bang-for-your buck.
That's what I got, 2015 MS P90DL. Crazy great car! Door handles are perfect, no screen yellowing. Goes like a bat out of...uhhh...Toledo. Fully charged, indicated range is usually above the EPA estimate. AP1 works well enough. LTE (4G) connectivity is nice. I put a refresh bumper from Unplugged Performance on last year. Looks great!

• Funny