Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Choosing NEW vs. CPO HELP!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok you could have a point if you generally stay in budget motels. I don't. I've never paid more to stay at a property with a destination charger. Actually last trip I took in an ICE car the motel we stayed at had Tesla destination charger in the parking lot.
Oh another option might be camping. Lots of sites have RV charging.

I wouldn't call things like holiday inn budget at $100 a night and when there are hotels at $60 and the ones with destinations chargers are asking $200

I wouldn't call things like holiday inn budget at $100 a night and when there are hotels at $60 and the ones with destinations chargers are asking $200
I've never paid $200 a night but also have never seen $60 room I wanted to stay in. A Google search for Holiday inn budget returns results for Holiday inn Express perhaps that's what you mean. Not all HIE motels are $100. However I did stay in one last April in Atlanta for $110. Oh by the way it had a Tesla destination charger.

I've never paid $200 a night but also have never seen $60 room I wanted to stay in. A Google search for Holiday inn budget returns results for Holiday inn Express perhaps that's what you mean. Not all HIE motels are $100. However I did stay in one last April in Atlanta for $110. Oh by the way it had a Tesla destination charger.
I've stayed in plenty of hotel rooms that were around $60, but most were not locations that I'd take a significant other/family member. When I'm by myself, the frugal side of me is in full effect.

I've stayed in plenty of hotel rooms that were around $60, but most were not locations that I'd take a significant other/family member. When I'm by myself, the frugal side of me is in full effect.
Ok you busted me sorta. Back in the day I stayed in what would be the equivalent of $60.00 a night. Motel 6 was $6. And I'm not as picky while traveling alone but seldom travel solo and at 70 not as adventurous as I was once.

Reactions: Qbenjamin
Are any of these places in remote areas you'd find most state/national parks? That's the topic of discussion, not Atlanta.
Well actually the topic was about new vs used when you made a statement in post 39 and introduced state parks. I replied referencing a motel within 30 minutes that provided destination charging. You exspanded it from there.

Ok you busted me sorta. Back in the day I stayed in what would be the equivalent of $60.00 a night. Motel 6 was $6. And I'm not as picky while traveling alone but seldom travel solo and at 70 not as adventurous as I was once.
Well, you're nearly twice my age so I totally understand. There have been a few that I've stayed at and I seriously thought about my life decisions up to that point.

Well actually the topic was about new vs used when you made a statement in post 39 and introduced state parks. I replied referencing a motel within 30 minutes that provided destination charging. You exspanded it from there.

Great, then find hotels within 30 minutes of the parks I visit. The only one you'll find is Enchanted Rock and that's fredericksburg where again, the only place that has destination charging is at least 2x more expensive than any normal hotel.

Great, then find hotels within 30 minutes of the parks I visit. The only one you'll find is Enchanted Rock and that's fredericksburg where again, the only place that has destination charging is at least 2x more expensive than any normal hotel.
Ok so you found one that doesn't and I found one that does. That's a draw. In regards to finding you motels I'm not your travel agent. Most of us aren't traveling to remote parks in Texas.

Ok so you found one that doesn't and I found one that does. That's a draw. In regards to finding you motels I'm not your travel agent. Most of us aren't traveling to remote parks in Texas.
You didn't find any hotels near parks that have destination charging, that's the entire point of the posts that stated this discussion, a car that can go to more remote areas because there is a huge gap in charging. You staying at a hotel in a huge metropolitan area had absolutely nothing to do with the conversation of remote locations or the need for extra range due to lack of charging.

20k is a lot of money - but you would get some of it back when you sell, assuming you keep the cars for the same amount of time.

I don’t like buying new cars. The depreciation in the first 1-2 years is so steep. Perhaps a little less in Tesla but I suspect that will soon change as real competition is coming out.

If you buy a used car from Tesla then most of them offer a new 4 year/50k warranty. This is close to the same as the new car warranty.

There have been some major upgrades since 2016. The main change was done half way through 2016 with the update to auto pilot 2.0

With 2016 you need to understand if it’s new autopilot hardware or ap1. You also need to look at what car seats you get. The next gen seats are much better than the older seats.

you would not get the updated more responsive media control but the older one is fine (but prone to failure so make sure you have warranty).

If you can point link to used car then I’m happy to give you my opinion.

Not sure about competition, most of the "competition" has low range, low quality, ugly looks, is slow or all of the above. Maybe the Taycan is a rival, but it's way more expensive for what I'd consider to be less. The Tesla premium seats are much better than the NextGens, keep that in mind if the P100D has the NextGens.

I would try and get a 2018 model if you want good savings but aren't bothered by a few thousand miles/kilometres. You can get a 2018 MS P100D for around $85,000, fully loaded.

I would recommend a Model X for your family though... two kids in my family and the MS will be great for us, but I'm not sure what three in the back would look like. The prices of used Model X's are pretty good... here is a Signature MX P90DL with 7 seats and all the options ($63,400): 2016 Model X | Tesla

You didn't find any hotels near parks that have destination charging, that's the entire point of the posts that stated this discussion, a car that can go to more remote areas because there is a huge gap in charging. You staying at a hotel in a huge metropolitan area had absolutely nothing to do with the conversation of remote locations or the need for extra range due to lack of charging.
I also mentioned one within 30 min of , Cochran

I also mentioned one within 30 min of , Cochran

You mentioned nothing of relevance, I meant Concan which is where Garner is located but even if we looked at Cochran or Cocran I'd love for you to pull them up on a map and show me how it's remotely close to Brenham. Cochran Texas is 500 miles from Brenham.

True but then there's not much of anything in Cocran. However 31 minutes away the Holiday inn express In Brenham has destination chargers.

COVID-19 situation will result in no new cars soon. This means CPO and private party will go way up.
Now is the time to grab her new, as the price difference is not that significant. And remember do not buy from third party dealers, if a MS/MX is ever third party dealer registered for a sale no more additional 4yr ext. warranty.