Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Choosing the best Wheel Offset for M3P

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am looking to replace the 20" Uberturbins on my 2022 M3P. Im not a fan of the ultra low profile stretched tires. I'm looking for lighter 19"x8.5" wheel and 245x45 19" tires. If I'm buying new wheels one priority is to get a more flush tire to fender fitment. Measuring the existing 20x9 Uberturbines with +34 offset, it looks like I need an extra 6mm offset in the front and an extra 13mm in the rear. Changing from a 9" wide wheel to a 8.5" wide wheel will with the same offset will set the wheel into the fender 1/4" or 6.35mm. So I need to add the 6mm to the additional offset needed for the factory wheels. By my calculations a +22mm front and +15mm rear offset should be a good fit. All this said I am looking for 19x8.5 wheels with a +20 to +22 offset. After mounting, if I think it needs it I will use a 5mm spacer on the rear.

I will probably use Continental DWS06+ 245x45R19 tires.

If you understand wheel offsets please review my calculations and let me know if this sounds correct.

For the Front ... If you went with a 19x8.5 +22 on the front, it'd poke 5.6mm more than the stock Uberturbines. Just note with 245/45/19's, your car is going to sit about 15mm higher (about 0.6" higher). If you went with a 40 spec tire like I am running on the front, it'd sit a negligible 3mm higher than the Uberturbines.

For the Rear ... If you ran a 19x8.5 +15 on the rear, it'll poke about 12.7mm (aka 1/2 an inch) more than the stock Uberturbines.

For Reference ... Below are a couple of pictures of my wheel setup I am running. Front and rear sit a little past the fenders as I wanted an aggressive look.

Specs:
Front: 19x9 +24
Rear: 19x9.5 +22

In comparing specs, your front wheels would sit in 4.4mm more than mine do if you ran a 19x8.5 +22, and your rear wheels would sit in 5.7mm more than mine do if you ran a 19x8.5 +15. Overall, if you're looking for flush fitment and a thicker sidewall, I think you have a good thing going.

Something to consider - instead of 19x8.5 +22 in the front, consider going 19x9 +28 and instead of 19x8.5 +15 in the rear, maybe go 19x9 +20
20220804_124625-VER1.jpg
20220804_124527.jpg

Where did you get your Forgestar wheels? Did you order a custom offset? Your car looks very good. I was hoping to run a square setup so I could rotate. I thought I might need to use a spacer on the rear if I got the front Offset right. Thanks for the suggestion to use 40 series instead of 45. Is your car lowered? I'm keeping the stock height. Thanks again

Reactions: FauxOperator
Ordered them from Eddie @GetYourWheels here on the forum. I wanted minimal concavity in the front and a super deep concavity in the rear. They are custom offset per my specs I sent him.

If you wanted to do a square setup, I'd probably run 19x8.5 +20 or 19x9 +28 all around with a 5mm spacer in the rear (in my opinion). That will be super flush if not maybe even a little poke, especially on stock suspension.

Before I got these wheels, I was running 20mm spacers on the stock aero wheels which would be a 8.5 at +20 technically, and it looked good. My car is on H&R Springs (1.2" drop)

20220804_124419-VER2.jpg

One note: if you intend to play with camber, the visual “offset” will change by a good 8-10mm at the top of the tire for every degree of camber. My 19x9.5 +22 with 275/35R19 are flush at ~2 degrees negative camber front and rear (Performance brakes).
BD43E748-2700-4B0F-8F99-2BC29755FF07.jpeg
5AE073E8-05C2-4F4C-8D6D-9A6ED7B1ED8D.jpeg

Additionally, I would peruse the Wheel and Tire thread, and simply use this calculator to compare the posted pics and specs with your intended wheels.

235/35/20 @ 28-30mm offset is just about flush up front on an MP3 (tire dependent). I believe the rear needs an additional 7-8mm offset to be flush compared to the front.

Go to this website and play around with offsets.

Keep in mind these values change if you ever decide to go with different rotors (4-5mm thicker hat, affecting the necessary offset for flush fit). I calculated my desired offset based on aftermarket rotors. Any stock rotor fitment could be fixed with 5mm spacers and no risk of not enough threads on lugs.

Reactions: Lindenwood
One note: if you intend to play with camber, the visual “offset” will change by a good 8-10mm at the top of the tire for every degree of camber. My 19x9.5 +22 with 275/35R19 are flush at ~2 degrees negative camber front and rear (Performance brakes).
View attachment 837401View attachment 837402

Additionally, I would peruse the Wheel and Tire thread, and simply use this calculator to compare the posted pics and specs with your intended wheels.

Love the aggressive tread of those tires. Looks mean!

I want to thank those who replied to my offset question. I think I understand the target offset for flush fitment on stock suspension and stock rotors. I do have a question about tire size. I like the look of aggressive big tires. But I am trying to balance appearance, efficiency and performance. For straight line performance how big of a 19" tire will I need to get all the acceleration the 2022 Model 3 Performance can produce? As it is now I can't detect any tire spin when testing 0 to 60. I don't know if the traction control is limiting power and not letting the tires spin or if the 235x35-20s are able to handle all the torque the car can deliver. I want to use a tire that will give me the absolute best 0 to 60 time on a unpreped road.

I want to thank those who replied to my offset question. I think I understand the target offset for flush fitment on stock suspension and stock rotors. I do have a question about tire size. I like the look of aggressive big tires. But I am trying to balance appearance, efficiency and performance. For straight line performance how big of a 19" tire will I need to get all the acceleration the 2022 Model 3 Performance can produce? As it is now I can't detect any tire spin when testing 0 to 60. I don't know if the traction control is limiting power and not letting the tires spin or if the 235x35-20s are able to handle all the torque the car can deliver. I want to use a tire that will give me the absolute best 0 to 60 time on a unpreped road.
The car isn't traction limited in stock form in straight line, so get whatever tire size you want.

Ordered them from Eddie @GetYourWheels here on the forum. I wanted minimal concavity in the front and a super deep concavity in the rear. They are custom offset per my specs I sent him.

If you wanted to do a square setup, I'd probably run 19x8.5 +20 or 19x9 +28 all around with a 5mm spacer in the rear (in my opinion). That will be super flush if not maybe even a little poke, especially on stock suspension.

Before I got these wheels, I was running 20mm spacers on the stock aero wheels which would be a 8.5 at +20 technically, and it looked good. My car is on H&R Springs (1.2" drop)

View attachment 837397
They look soooo good!! Thanks for the tag

- Eddie @ GYW