Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Choosing the Right Enkei PF01's for a M3P

Mash

Supporting Member
Nov 10, 2019
Prague
Something to think about...
If the wheel relied on the hub to carry most of its forces, you'd think manufacturers would be a little more generous with the amount of lip they give you on the hub heh?

I am pro hub-centric ring myself, but not because I believe that's the part doing all the heavy lifting (literally). Hub centric simply gives me an extra peace of mind and it's easier to align wheels (especially on European cars that uses lug studs instead of bolts).
Making lip longer does absolutely nothing - it won't shift anyway and it won't be any stronger since the whole stress is at that point.

• Disagree
Reactions: dsgerbc

Clivew

Nov 19, 2019
Bedford, UK
it's the lip that stops the wheel from overstretching the lug.

Overstretching the lug? What on earth are you talking about. It’s plainly obvious (again) that you are posting about subjects that you don’t fully understand, in a style where you try to make out you are an authority on the subject.

The hub lip isn’t stopping ‘overstretching’ of the lug. That would be a ‘tensile’ load. If the hub was supporting the weight of the wheel (ie if the lug nuts were loose), it would be reducing the ‘shear’ load on the stud. These are totally different, and this one thing shows you don’t understand what you are talking about.

You obviously have no idea how much load is required to break a high tensile M14 stud, let alone 5 of them. It’s way, way, way more than the loads a tyre can produce, regardless of the weight of the Tesla or the torque it produces.

If you knew the size of the 4 bolts that hold a CFM56-7 turbofan engine to a 737’s pylon, which take all the engine weight and torque loads, with you’re understanding of material strength etc, you would never fly again as you would be convinced the engine would fall off. (spoiler alert, they are not very big.)

Did you thought about why there is no galvanic corrosion of aluminium wheel? Maybe alloy matters?

Here we go again.

Unless the wheel mounting surface is painted, or anodised, then a bare aluminium alloy wheel mounted to a steel hub will exhibit galvanic corrosion if moisture is present between the two. Granted, some aluminium alloys suffer worse than others, but stating an aluminium alloy wheel isn’t effected by galvanic corrosion is patently false.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC