Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Choosing tint based on car color

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Admittedly I'm probably overthinking this, but I've never had a car tinted before and just don't want to end up with a tint I hate looking at. UV protection and slight glare reduction is what I think I care about most, so I don't need the best performer (or to pay for it).

So that leads me to all these different hues on various tints. Has anyone chosen their tint based on their exterior paint color? I have a flat white S. What does it match best with?

Wincos is blue
Pinnacle is green
Crystalline frankly I just don't like in general (the brown, the sheen)
CTX is grey
XPEL XR Prime is ?

Honestly I like the look of CTX but for $50 more I can get Wincos or Pinnacle and they do have what seems like a step up in performance. I saw Wincos in person a few days ago however and man that is a blue tint. And since I'm going light (40-50%) I'm a bit more worried the hue will show more.

So I'm curious...anyone else choose based on a tint's color?

As I write this I’m getting 20% Wincos installed. The other car they were doing with Wincos definitely looked more green than blue to me. But I’ll see again soon enough!

I have Pinnacle 15% on my other cars and liked it quite a bit. Didn’t really notice any hue.

Crystalline is a rip off in terms of price vs performance. TSER of Wincos 20 is 59%, Crystalline 20 is 61%. It’s absurdly over hyped.

• Informative
Reactions: Litigate28
As I write this I’m getting 20% Wincos installed. The other car they were doing with Wincos definitely looked more green than blue to me. But I’ll see again soon enough!

I have Pinnacle 15% on my other cars and liked it quite a bit. Didn’t really notice any hue.

Crystalline is a rip off in terms of price vs performance. TSER of Wincos 20 is 59%, Crystalline 20 is 61%. It’s absurdly over hyped.

Appreciate the info. Post some pics when done!

Also why did you choose Wincos over Pinnacle this time?

Appreciate the info. Post some pics when done!

Also why did you choose Wincos over Pinnacle this time?

All done! Definitely a bit lighter than I was expecting. Maybe should have gone for 10% since I have a white interior, but I suppose I’ll be less prone to tickets. Hopefully the % grows on me.

167903A7-B78E-43DD-9348-D4E95288DCFF.jpeg

It’s lighter looking than this in most lighting. You can easily see the seats. I’ll take some more pictures later.

Mostly got the Wincos because that’s what fit in my budget at the new installer (Monumental Workx in SD) I chose. My old installer was great but just too far away from where I moved to. There are way too many tint installers to make the drive worthwhile.

I just like the look and privacy of tint. Don’t really care too much about the heat to make the super high end films like Spectra PhotoSync worth it to me.

Might be worth a drive to Extreme Autowerks in Brea. They'll have the various tints in their showroom that you can easily compare.

I'd recommend Photosync both because this is something you want to do one time, and because you get more heat rejection and glare reduction with a lighter tint. I appreciate how 20 and 15 look, but there is no way I'd tint the front windows that dark in California - call me risk averse :).

One particular application for which Photosync excels is for the windshield, but you have to have an installer that has experience therewith - and I would recommend Extreme Autowerks without reservation. Ask for Bing. Tell him the guy with the fridge sent you.

So that's one way to reduce cost - go with whatever fits yer budget for the other windows, but do consider Photosync (75) at least for the windshield - the glare reduction is significant, not to mention the heat rejection. Plus the point being that it's essentially invisible, meaning that you don't have to worry about how the tint looks with your car.

CTX looks the best in your list:rolleyes: , for performance since u don’t have photosync the crystalline is best performer:confused: ...for overall value/performance go with Winco :eek:my $.02 ...me personally in SoCal I wanted best performance and have had crystalline and ctx in the past ...I’m currently using photo sync 35 on pearl white

• Informative
Reactions: Litigate28
All done! Definitely a bit lighter than I was expecting. Maybe should have gone for 10% since I have a white interior, but I suppose I’ll be less prone to tickets. Hopefully the % grows on me.

View attachment 311981

It’s lighter looking than this in most lighting. You can easily see the seats. I’ll take some more pictures later.

Mostly got the Wincos because that’s what fit in my budget at the new installer (Monumental Workx in SD) I chose. My old installer was great but just too far away from where I moved to. There are way too many tint installers to make the drive worthwhile.

I just like the look and privacy of tint. Don’t really care too much about the heat to make the super high end films like Spectra PhotoSync worth it to me.

That looks pretty good. I'm also risk averse but that looks lighter than 20%, though I know it is very hard to tell in pics.

Might be worth a drive to Extreme Autowerks in Brea. They'll have the various tints in their showroom that you can easily compare.

I'd recommend Photosync both because this is something you want to do one time, and because you get more heat rejection and glare reduction with a lighter tint. I appreciate how 20 and 15 look, but there is no way I'd tint the front windows that dark in California - call me risk averse :).

One particular application for which Photosync excels is for the windshield, but you have to have an installer that has experience therewith - and I would recommend Extreme Autowerks without reservation. Ask for Bing. Tell him the guy with the fridge sent you.

So that's one way to reduce cost - go with whatever fits yer budget for the other windows, but do consider Photosync (75) at least for the windshield - the glare reduction is significant, not to mention the heat rejection. Plus the point being that it's essentially invisible, meaning that you don't have to worry about how the tint looks with your car.

I thought about going there, but just wouldn't want to waste anyone's time since I doubt I'd get the Photosync. I think they do Pinnacle too, but their prices are a bit higher than other highly rated places. I do know everyone raves about them though.

o_O:eek:
I thought about going there, but just wouldn't want to waste anyone's time since I doubt I'd get the Photosync. I think they do Pinnacle too, but their prices are a bit higher than other highly rated places. I do know everyone raves about them though.

Anytime a vendor gets a whiff of Tesla’s from referrals prices seem to go up :eek:...photosync is limited in installers which is why price is still high ...I had mine done in San Diego by Monumental however I did not pay the near rip off pricing other vendors charge ..monumental also does Ctx and winco ...quite a few Tesla’s were doing the Winco for the price /performance value (they actually have a heat lamp where u can test the films )...since I live part time in desert I wanted best heat rejection ...but if that wasn’t case I would have done winco o_O