Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chris Lattner in and Sterling Anderson out...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, Lattner didn't last long

Lattner is still there. David Nister has left... Nister is a leading light in the computer vision and eye tracking world. I would imagine that amongst the things he's interested in pursuing at Nvidia is the in-car cameras... they have an idea for reading eye/gaze position, and even facial emotions to work out how... ahem... "suitable" or "capable" you are at driving, amongst other things (including warning you when you're driving manually, but may have not seen something coming up behind you because you're looking the wrong way). This is in-car AI, and different to the AI used in self driving.

I have to say though... Nister is probably close to a genius. Either he maxed out the vision tech at Tesla (FSD is no longer a detection problem; the car can detect everything it needs to with almost human level accuracy)... it's more a mapping, and then AI 'driving rules' problem.

Mapping is the key ingredient in self-driving... and it's also the part that Tesla have said nothing about.

I would *hope* this means Tesla is going to use Nvidia Mapworks for their HD mapping solution, and Nister left on good terms and will be a great conduit and ally inside Nvidia to move Tesla's map integrations forward.

Remember, FSD really uses the cameras/radar to detect objects that it shouldn't crash into, read the traffic lights etc. More or less everything else is down to the maps. The current AP reliance on lane-line recognition and craziness with different weather conditions is almost entirely solved once the car has localised itself on HD maps down to 1cm accuracy.

My reading: Nister improved Tesla Vision's computer vision to a really high standard. HIs expertise probably took him as far as they needed, and he didn't much fancy the other job opportunities there. Maps interested him, and Nvidia are doing that; not Tesla. Thus, move to Nvidia.

Hopefully that's the case - smart guy, very smart. Wishing him well.

Lattner is still there. David Nister has left... Nister is a leading light in the computer vision and eye tracking world. I would imagine that amongst the things he's interested in pursuing at Nvidia is the in-car cameras... they have an idea for reading eye/gaze position, and even facial emotions to work out how... ahem... "suitable" or "capable" you are at driving, amongst other things (including warning you when you're driving manually, but may have not seen something coming up behind you because you're looking the wrong way). This is in-car AI, and different to the AI used in self driving.

I have to say though... Nister is probably close to a genius. Either he maxed out the vision tech at Tesla (FSD is no longer a detection problem; the car can detect everything it needs to with almost human level accuracy)... it's more a mapping, and then AI 'driving rules' problem.

Mapping is the key ingredient in self-driving... and it's also the part that Tesla have said nothing about.

I would *hope* this means Tesla is going to use Nvidia Mapworks for their HD mapping solution, and Nister left on good terms and will be a great conduit and ally inside Nvidia to move Tesla's map integrations forward.

Remember, FSD really uses the cameras/radar to detect objects that it shouldn't crash into, read the traffic lights etc. More or less everything else is down to the maps. The current AP reliance on lane-line recognition and craziness with different weather conditions is almost entirely solved once the car has localised itself on HD maps down to 1cm accuracy.

My reading: Nister improved Tesla Vision's computer vision to a really high standard. HIs expertise probably took him as far as they needed, and he didn't much fancy the other job opportunities there. Maps interested him, and Nvidia are doing that; not Tesla. Thus, move to Nvidia.

Hopefully that's the case - smart guy, very smart. Wishing him well.

You right. Hopefully I'm not making an unintentional prediction.

I just posted about maps in the 8.1 thread. I'm dubious about Tesla's apparent approach.

The plot got thicken!

Electrek reported that The WSJ seems to suggest that Sterling Anderson resigned 2 months later after disagreeing with Elon Musk that AP2 should be claimed as "full self-driving capability".

funny how when WSJ was writing articles about apple's project titan, its inception, downfall and restructure no one was saying they were trying to stir the pot or that they are casting "negative light on Apple’s Autopilot ambitions".

you tesla fans are too much!

funny how when WSJ was writing articles about apple's project titan, its inception, downfall and restructure no one was saying they were trying to stir the pot or that they are casting "negative light on Apple’s Autopilot ambitions".

you tesla fans are too much!
WSJ article was a year late. They [Apple] were supposed to have switched to a software only approach about this time last year.

Here's a cool recent article on Waymo
Waymo Built a Secret World for Self-Driving Cars

WSJ article was a year late. They [Apple] were supposed to have switched to a software only approach about this time last year.

No its not. They reported on it over a year ago. You do realize that the recent article from acouple days ago that you are referring to is from the NYT?

WSJ covered the whole project titan sega with unnamed sources all the way from its inception.

Infact they were THE first.

Apple Gears Up to Challenge Tesla in Electric Cars

Last edited:
The plot got thicken!

Electrek reported that The WSJ seems to suggest that Sterling Anderson resigned 2 months later after disagreeing with Elon Musk that AP2 should be claimed as "full self-driving capability".

I find it likely that this is a true account and that a disagreement over the opinions of what AP2 can realistically do was behind some of the personnel turnover. Probably not all of it, but some of it.

After all, only 9 months after AP2 began shipping to customers, Tesla has already revised the entire suite (HW 2.5) with more redundancy, new radar and possibly more processing power.

These are not generational changes (i.e. AP3 with an even larger suite), nor is it an expected CPU/GPU change, these seem like things that are plugging holes in AP2, which certainly would jive with a disagreement over the real capabilities of AP2.

We shall see over time if Elon extended Telsa's hand too far on this one and the customers will pay the price, or if it will all work out and the sceptical engineers were wrong (or Tesla will use considerable retrofitting expense to make it right).

No its not. They reported on it over a year ago. You do realize that the recent article from acouple days ago that you are referring to is from the NYT?

WSJ covered the whole project titan sega with unnamed sources all the way from its inception.

Infact they were THE first.

Apple Gears Up to Challenge Tesla in Electric Cars
ok yes, I'm referring to the NYT article either way a year late on reporting that they were no longer working on hardware. The article you posted doesn't have to do with the cessation of the hardware work.

WSJ has historically been anti-tesla, one of the sources wasn't even around for AP 2.0