Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chris Paine's Marrakesh House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TEG

Teslafanatic
Aug 20, 2006
(This showed up in my inbox)

Susan von Seggern

Marrakesh House Grand Opening Events Showcased Green Building and Lifestyle

For Immediate Release:

Marrakesh House Grand Opening Events Showcased Green Building and Lifestyle​

Culver City, CA – June 10, 2009 - Filmmaker and environmentalist Chris Paine, noted for his award winning documentary Who Killed The Electric Car? celebrated the completion of Marrakesh House (http://marrakeshhouse.com,), his new green demonstration home with a press luncheon on Friday June 5th and a Grand Opening Party on Saturday June 6th.

Both events were at capacity and attended by numerous green tastemakers including Ben Lee who performed at the opening bringing his wife Ione Skye along, KCRW DJ Tom Schnabel who spun at both events, “California’s Green” host Huell Howser, noted celebrity chef and Hollywood Dish author Akasha who catered both events, Huffington Post “Greening Hollywood” blogger Paige Donner, and many more.

Siel Ju, known as the Green LA Girl covered the luncheon in her blog at Marrakesh House Grand Opening Party tomorrow 6/6 | green LA girl.

The evening event was covered by Black Book at Chris Paine Will Eco-House You - BlackBook.

Other party entertainment included headliners Naked Rhythm, plus Danyavaad, DJ eEvil, and San Diego’s DJ Kopcho. Dub Jazz quartet Thelonious Dub performed at the luncheon.

Inspired by a lifelong commitment to environmental activism and his interest in Moroccan design, Chris and his team transformed a hillside mid-century modern Home into a 21st century green showcase for more sustainable living. Located adjacent to California's newest State Park, the Baldwin Hills Scenic Overlook, Marrakesh House is one of the more environmentally friendly remodels in Southern California.

"The events were a great start on the community aspects of the house. Bringing people together has always been important to me, especially in Los Angeles where everything is so spread out,” says Paine. “I am glad that Marrakesh House can provide a relaxed atmosphere that reflects different cultures and more eco-friendly living. I hope Marrakesh House inspired everyone who was here."

The Marrakesh House Grand Opening supported charities NextAid, Plug-In America, Rainforest Action Network, the Impro Theatre, and the Wildlife Learning Center. All the organizations had representatives and information on hand at the event. The Wildlife Learning Center even brought some animal friends including a Canadian lynx, an American alligator, a squirrel monkey, and more. Plug-In America provided for the electric car shuttles from the valet.

Marrakesh House Sponsors and solar providers Mitsubishi Electric and REC Solar have installed a unique kiosk that allowed party-goers to see how the solar array is impacting the home’s energy use. Other house sponsors include sustainable plumbing provider Toto USA, Pittsburgh Paint Low VOC wall covering, Cisco Brothers furniture, noted Burning Man/ Coachella installation artist Shrine and GardeNerd organic gardens.

Event sponsors included green and organic beverages 360 Vodka, Kim Crawford Wines, Honest Tea (iced), Mighty Leaf Tea (hot), and Conservatory for Coffee; floral arrangements by Rolling Greens; and deserts by Coconut Bliss and Tia’s Bakery. Numerous sponsors donated gift bag items including AeroVironment, FlameDisk, Caterpillar Creations, Duchess Marden, Comfort Bar, Simply Neutral, Wow GreenAlignment for Life, the reDiscover Center and more. Event partners included Green Addict, Transglobal Entertainment, and Cultural Connections.

On first viewing the property, Paine noticed that the home's 1950's interior courtyard mirrored the layout of traditional Moroccan "riads" that created communal space with an indoor/outdoor feeling. With Marrakesh and Los Angeles located on similar latitudes, each with desert topographies near high mountains, he decided to call his remodel “Marrakesh House” combining the home’s mid-century modern architecture with Islamic design motifs to forge a visual bridge between two cultures.

Paine rarely wavered in his commitment to remodel the 4,300 square-foot house using environmentally friendly guidelines. He assembled a team of dedicated craftspeople, led by project manager, noted LEED AP, Shellie Collier. He also brought on board sponsors who were passionate about a reconstruction that would showcase greener living. When asked about their choices in planning the remodel, Shellie said, “I’m very glad we spent time considering how to take advantage of what the house already had instead of tearing everything down. Sometimes the future is about simply remaking the present.”

As a residence for the director of Who Killed the Electric Car? no garage would be complete without solar powered plug-in electric vehicles. During the remodel, three 220volt chargers were installed to charge on-site and visiting plug-in vehicles, whether electric scooters or plug-in hybrid conversions. “Of course, you can plug almost any electric car directly into a regular wall socket – it just takes longer that way,” notes Paine. At the moment, Paine’s “plug-in mecca” includes a 2002 Toyota Rav4-EV and his 2008 Tesla Electric Roadster, both of which have cameos in his upcoming film Revenge of the Electric Car. “Electric Cars make powering your car with renewable energy off your house easy. You just can’t do that with a gas car.”

In all Paine created opening events and a home that brings mid-century modern into the 21st century with the currently popular, yet eternal style of Morocco and a focus on sustainability that will never go out of fashion.

# # #

For information on Marrakesh House or the events please contact Susan von Seggern on [email protected] or 213-840-0077.

Susan von Seggern
Public Relations Consultant
susan@ susanvonseggern.com
213-840-0077
Follow me on http://twitter.com/SusanvonSeggern
www.susanvonseggern.com

www.bangstudio.com
www.blankandjones.com
www.fakeradio.net
www.kslmedia.com
http://marrakeshhouse.com
www.moduscooperandi.com
www.myspace.com/theloniousdub

Chris was at the BBQ but I think he drove his ICE. The only other one from the rally was going was to be Chelsea and her hubby but I never saw her (It was very crowded).

We ended up at the PIA table in the garage selling WKTEC videos. Easy in a green crowd. Sold them all.

The house is really cool but it was also really cool at the Volt-Tesla meet while in bare frame mode.
Some of the music was amazing fusion of rock and Indian sounds.

Food was healthy like coconut based cookies and ice cream. The Lynx and porcupine were the big animal hits.

Thought it was going to be more of a EV event. Not so much

It's a house that designed to host parties. Pretty utilitarian and cold but a great space covered in solar panels. I have a coupla building detail and belly dancer pics if anyone is interested.

Thanks for the update, VFX. Glad you made it.

I like his taste in music. I ended up buying some new CDs based on checking out the artists he booked.

Had to stop at the the LA store for an hour. Good thing. At the party they had the johns in front of the garage.

Really like the bald guy guitar player. Never would have guessed I would.

Perhaps it was the lovely ladies swirling about that swayed my hearing. :biggrin:

Should I buy the CD?